TomSpoon

What should PD have named the sabre2

All i know is i was one of the privileged jumpers at SDC and we had the canopies before they were even named (we're so cool at SDC) :P So we referred to it as the ginsu. I guess i just can't get that name outta my head.

We also refered to it as the "Big Ugly" because of the color it was. I think the name at the time was officially ""XE 190" (at least on the orange tag).

Was kinda cool jumping a canopy that was still being tested!

I found the silhouette! Luckily I have access to Janes All the Worlds Aircraft through work. I now have WAY more information than I'll ever need about the Lunds Tekniske Silhouette. But it is a single seat homebuilt that comes in either standard or motorglider versions. First flew in 1984.

Edit: that's the only silhouette that appears in at least the last 10 or so years of Janes.

Dave

North American F100 Sabre

Actually, the North American F86 was the Sabre. The F100 was the Super Sabre, as in supersonic. It was the first production US fighter to have the capability. And here's your answer for a new name.;)

BTW, ever heard of the sabre-dance?

Umm....let's see.......how about the.......

Ostrich.

It's also flightless. Not very graceful looking, either. Kind of reminds me of the Chevy "Nova" - of course it was quite fast in its day.

It's scary and badass... trust me....I was attacked by one as a kid....

That might explain a few things...

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

It's also flightless. Not very graceful looking, either.

Oh come on, who cares if the canopy flies as long as it sounds cool...ya know, like a Ferrari. ;)

That might explain a few things...

I was asking for that one, wasn't I? B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Actually, the North American F86 was the Sabre

They had to redesign it because about every 50th ejection or so you would get whacked a little bit harder than normal.:o
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

How about Scimiter? According to dictionary.com, a sabre has a similar shape to a scimiter. Or how about Scimitar? That's a completely different kind of sword than a scimiter. (The c is silent in scimitar, but pronounced in scimiter).

dictionary.com needs to check its sources..:S

the differences between a scimitar and a 'scimiter' are ones of translation, not actual.

a scimitar's (either spelling) only real similarity to a sabre is the curve in the blade..

they are made and wielded completely differently..

the sabre was designed specifically for use from horseback, the scimitar is an older design (and from different culture) the sabre is designed to be used one handed, with the 1st third of the blade sharpened and could be used both to cut and thrust.

the shamshir aka scimitar is a larger heavier blade (but still often used from horseback) many were made to be used with two hands, but more commonly they were single arm weapons usually, (but not always) having only one cutting edge and despite a rather sever point not really designed to deliever an effective thrust..

i cant find any references to 'scimiter' apart from 'scimitar' or Shamshir, but i'm not at home with my library and internet links arent helping much...

Scimiter
(Scim"i*ter , Scim"i*tar) n. [F. cimeterre, cf. It. scimitarra, Sp. cimitarra; fr. Biscayan cimetarra with a sharp edge; or corrupted from Per. shimshir.]

1. A saber with a much curved blade having the edge on the convex side, — in use among Mohammedans, esp., the Arabs and persians. [Written also cimeter, and scymetar.]

some of the confusion comes from the tendency to call any curved sword a 'sabre' which is techically incorrect..

Does this mean we can expect a big boy or a Tandem named the B-52?

No I think this one would be called the BUFF which has several variations; in civil society it is Big Ugly Friendly Fellow; in military circles it is Big Ugly Fat Fu##er.

Knew someone would go there:D. Thank you.

Thats a cool looking one - the old airplanes definitely have a certain charm about them!

Anyhow... since you seem to be into airplanes, maybe you should start noting down cool names - PD is always working on some fun projects, so who knows when we might need a new name ;)

Here are a few names many might think to be cool enough for a PD canopy. For high performance canopies: Black Widow, Phantom, Banshee, Tempest, Fury, Falcon, Comet, or Hurricane. For canopies that are more 'all-purpose': Baron, Duke, Renegade, Constellation, Arrow, Bravo (kallend mentioned Mooney), Citation, Prowler, or Legacy. For a student/beginner canopy: Cub, Otter, Challenger, Vega, Husky, or Caravan.

Just to be thorough, maybe we should come up with a list of the worst plane names PD could use. A canopy called the "PD Flying Fortress" would probably be a real bitch to pack. "PD Liberator," or, "PD Peacemaker" would probably only make sense for the military. "PD Puff the Magic Dragon," would probably be too long to stencil onto the end cells. And, as much as we may love PD, I don't see too many of us jumping something called the "PD Tri-motor" or the "PD Bird Dog."

Feel free to use any of the above names since I just stole them from somewhere else anyway. ;)

The glass isn't always half-full OR half-empty. Sometimes, the glass is just too damn big.

damn, you beat me, actually, you had this before I even found the thread, but here's what I found

TASK "SILHOUETTE": In 1984 Jim Kern designed this aircraft to combine the advantages of a clean, light, all composite traditional styled airframe with the small, light, and powerful 2 stroke ROTAX 477 Ultralight A/C Engine. This was the result, a 500 pound, 125 MPG Cruise, 900 FPM climb, touring aircraft. It was turned into a kit. TASK sold 37 before selling the entire project to a gentleman in Norway