WeakMindedFool

High level Hop & Pop

Did a hop & pop from 11,500 today...Why didn't anyone tell me how cool that was?!? A little cold up there but tall puffy clouds with lots of holes (good and legal) big peaks and valleys. Got someone to jump with me and hot damn, want to do CRW now!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Hey man,
I do high hops and pops all the time..way cool Most people wonder why you would want to do that but i love it. so quiet and crisp. Great for X country dives ( jumps) and very relaxing too. Try it with a buddy and a Disposable Camera. add Walkie Talkies and they are a blast. Glad there is a fellow Enthuisast

Right there with you man. I've done a bunch from 14K. It is a blast to go nuts on your canopy without having to worry about the ground coming up too quickly. Get a few friends and get a train going. You really get your jump ticket worth with all that hangtime.

Shane

Benny,
Absolutely not a bad Idea..look at Milgore's post it is a great time to wear yous canopy out and really see what it will do. For Example some canopies you can turn so hard you can induce line twists. You need to know this about your canopy..also how deep can you go in brakes without collapsing, and how long can you stay there. set yourself a reasonable hard deck, based on where you feel comfortable, at which point you will stop pushing the canopy. you can learn so much about the canopy it will shock you. Just remember a canopy flies faster at higher altitudes. some of the best canopy pilots do this..just remember to use good judgment and don't go to fast..learn in steps. Don't just get out..pull and try to break the thing

oooh i really wanna do this, you don't think it would be bad to do this still on student status do you?

As always, talk to your instructor or S&TA. You do have to be a bit careful about not landing 2 miles from the DZ because you lost awareness, and you do NOT want to be anywhere near another canopy until you have more canopy piloting experience. The most important thing is to talk with the pilot and others on the load about your intentions **before the plane leaves the runway*, as the pilot may have to clear it with ATC, and the other jumpers need to exit before you.

Shane

Very AWESOME!!! It was the same type of jump that got me interested in CRW! I did a 11K hop n pop, sunset load with another jumper. We crisscrossed our canopies back to the DZ, front risering back and forth. All of a sudden, i wanted to try CRW. It's all about playing with the canopies. It's great!!!! :) I absolutly love it! Welcome to the dark side B|;):)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Benny,
Absolutely not a bad Idea..look at Milgore's post it is a great time to wear yous canopy out and really see what it will do. For Example some canopies you can turn so hard you can induce line twists. You need to know this about your canopy..also how deep can you go in brakes without collapsing, and how long can you stay there. set yourself a reasonable hard deck, based on where you feel comfortable, at which point you will stop pushing the canopy. you can learn so much about the canopy it will shock you. Just remember a canopy flies faster at higher altitudes. some of the best canopy pilots do this..just remember to use good judgment and don't go to fast..learn in steps. Don't just get out..pull and try to break the thing

I'll second that! I've learned a lot about my canopy doing high altitude hop n pops:) But because I was at such an altitude I could deal with the situation. Be careful;)

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

The jump I made today was with the general manager of the DZ also an experienced CRW guy. The plane stayed with us for awhile...now I know why. We got pretty close but of course we didn't touch. Get an instructor to jump with you...You're gonna LOVE it!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

The jump I made today was with the general manager of the DZ also an experienced CRW guy. The plane stayed with us for awhile...now I know why. We got pretty close but of course we didn't touch. Get an instructor to jump with you...You're gonna LOVE it!

I'm definitely gonna look into this. I've always found canopy flight to be the most enjoyable part of my skydives so far. I'm beginning to enjoy feefall a bit more as I become more used to it but not quite as much as CC.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Heh, I did something like that this evening...
(I'm still on student status, but just barely.... I have 28 jumps and need ONE more accuracy and a check dive to get my A license...)
I rolled out of the plane at 13000 and pulled about 11500.... then learned some new things about canopy control... one of my instructors (AggieDave briefed me on some stuff to try under canopy) was also on this dive... and right there at the same altitude as me, well... for the most part basically.... it was cool to be under canopy that high (no clouds though :()... however, it took a heck of a long time for me to get down (.83 wingloading, I believe)... and when I did get down to 1000... I was having too much fun with my spirals and landed a little more than 20 meters from my target... needless to say I did NOT get my last accuracy...

BUT I had fun, I learned a lot and I'm safe....

I plan on playing around up there more once I'm licensed...

~Sarah :D

Monkey,
It can be difficult..if Ya clicked on the pick I posted..we almost got lost on that one. the clouds rolled in afer we exited..we got lucky in that there were enough holes to spot..but this is a good + with a high pull also..you should learn to spot your DZ based upon the surrounding area. a high pull allows you max time at altitude to do this. Whenever I jump a new DZ I do a high pull as early as I can..I "spot" the DZ..get a good pic from alt, and explore all the outs with the birds eye veiw. this allows me to know where I am in bad situations and to navigate based on features I can see

Heh, to get an A license these days you have to land 20 meters from a target ... 5 times, I believe...:P

And when i say a little more than 20 meters from a target, I really mean like 200 meters from my target...haha, okay, so maybe it wasn't THAT far, but I was WAY off.... it was a good learning experience... I thought for a moment I wasn't going to land within the landing area(which would of been a first)... BUT I did... :)
Can't wait for the weekend...

~Sarah:D

I thought for a moment I wasn't going to land within the landing area

Sure. After she was done with the dive flow, she was supposed to follow me so she would land on, until we got down low. What did she do? 6.5k she bugged out away from me. I knew she'd be on the airport, but I thought she'd land in one of the "secondary" areas (the large open grassy areas outside of the main landing area).:P

What did we do? I laid a base for her under canopy, about 40-60ft apart, on her level flying a parrallel course. Had her do a rear-riser "climb" then use double fronts to drop back on level. Then she did a toggle turn to come back around behind me to the other side, while giving input on the other toggle to stay on leve. After that come back around to where she was.

Basically giving her a reference to fly her canopy around so she could see what her canopy could really do. Also teaches a couple nice life saving maneuvers, like those climbing turns with the toggles.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."