kmfreefly

2003 Nationals Video?

Warning: This is long. I've directly copied emails I received so that I don't misrepresent anything.

Here's what I know.

I received an email from AirZoneXtreme dated 12/29/2003 (response to an email I sent on 12/28/2003 asking about the video) and here's what they said in that email:

"We are producing the 2003 US Nationals event video and DVD. We plan to include all the artistic competition rounds. The aerial & ground footage looks fabulous. You'll surely want to see it.

We hope to have everything completed very soon. Our original goal was Christmas, but we are still in the final stages of the production.

I will include your email address on a list, so you will be notified when the production is ready to ship as well as the detailed price, product, and ordering information."

When I hadn't heard anything, I sent another email on Feb 1, 2004 wanting to know what is taking so long (since I wanted to see the video before we got training hard for 2004 Nationals) and here is the reply from 2/2/04:

"Announcements are about to go out to major dzs and people like you announcing the availability of the DVD. After the announcement goes out from the Florida Skydiving Center, you will be able to order through Florida Skydiving Center. You should be able to order around the Feb 10th.

This year the production was done differently. The Wagners produced the video for five years prior to this year. This is the first year that all the jumps were collected digitally. First we made a production for the judges. Every single skydive made at the event was clipped and put in order for them. On the Formation Skydiving, we narrowed down the jumps to the top teams in formation skydiving. On the Artistic DVD, we included all 7 rounds of the top three teams in freefly, freestyle, & skysurfing, and three high scoring rounds from each team in every category. We have three full DVDs – Formation Skydiving 156 jumps, Artistic 112 jumps, and Crew & Accuracy. Identical “event video” takes up about 10 minutes on each DVD.

There are menu options for each division and round. We purchased production music, so it would be legal. When it comes right down to it, people can mute the audio and turn on their own music.

We are trying to be fair to everyone, since there are different needs and expectations. We hope that all of you have a great product to utilize for competition.

We would’ve emailed sooner, but we want to wait till everything is perfectly in place. Thanks for the FYI on the website; we had no clue."

Sent another email on 2/11/04 (since they said by Feb 10), here's what they said on 2/12/04

"Next Monday, you should be able to call the Florida Skydiving Center in Lake Wales to inquire/order the DVD. www.floridaskydiving.com

Hope you like the DVD and that it's a tremendous benefit to you. You will most likely enjoy the Artistic, as the competitors were so kind to share all their progressive moves."

Then I received an email from them on 2/15/04:

"We just returned home from the Florida Skydiving Center in Lake Wales, and it is obvious at this point that the DVD will not be released for sale for two weeks. When an official announcement is sent out; your email will be included on that list."

When the two weeks came and went, I checked the websites and then called Lake Wales. I was told it would be a few more weeks.

Today, March 9, 2004, I received this email from AirZoneXtreme:

"Just to let you know…

Since the Florida Skydiving Center in Lake Wales is handling sales & distribution of the Nationals DVD, you should contact them for pricing & ordering details. They will release the DVD soon, and you’ll want to make sure you get your orders in as soon as possible. The production is separated on to three, two hour DVDs, Freefall Formation, Artistic, & Canopy, fully loaded with competition rounds from all divisions, each including a 33 minute feature presentation called, “Meet the Champions” which gives approximately 7 – 12 minutes for each division, 4-way open live judging, awards ceremony, & event credits. We hope you like it."

So I called Lake Wales today and was told they had just received the first draft and nothing had been approved and it wouldn't be ready for sale for at least a few weeks. Lake Wales will be posting it on their web site somewhere (the person on the phone couldn't tell me where on the web site it would be). When asked if there would be any announcement telling us when it will be available, the person said she didn't know.

That's all I know at this point.

Blue skies,
Sherri

The Florida Skydiving Center is first class, very careful, and professional. They need to evaluate every detail of the production to assure that we have represented the teams and everyone else involved properly. The first draft was available to them on February 14th, and since that time, they've received the final, third DVD Masters, which may not be known to all FSC staff, and was not intended to be public information. Obviously, it took us some time to get finished on our end. They need some time also. FSC has been patient with us, and we hope you all will be patient with them. Official announcements will be made when they’re ready.

Annie, Olivia, & Rosalyn

A professional quality, fully produced movie is a mammoth task, especially when the best possible result is sought. This is as it should be, and I hope the Nationals movie is every bit as first-rate as the production time indicates.

However, there are more than a few teams that use the footage of the winning teams to learn and prepare for the next year. This preparation begins either at or shortly after Nationals concludes; the middle of March is well into the training year for the coming year's Nationals event. A fully produced movie with a significant production time is not as helpful as it could be.

I think it would be profitable - both financially and for training purposes - to release a quick compilation DVD of just the raw footage of the top three (or so) teams in each division and event. Such a disk needs no serious artistic preparation beyond the basics of DVD nagivation, no music tracks, no compilation of 'moments' from the entire event. It is a training tool, and will be muted, paused, slowed, reversed, and replayed ad infinitum (ad nauseum?). Such a disk could be created very quickly, even within a couple of weeks of the event, if the formal DVD production channels are bypassed -- e.g. the disk is a DVD-R created as a one-off, on-demand affair.

Given the time and space requirements of the raw footage, the DVD could come in multiple versions, one for each discipline (RW, Freefly, CRW, Artistic, etc), with demand driving the 'production'. Perhaps I am missing some practical logistic problem with this proposal. If so, I am certain to be educated promptly and tactfully ;-).

Comments?

Well said.

Honestly, all I want is to see exactly what the judges saw and evaluated from each of the teams that competed (probably more important to artistic events to see all competitors versus RW). Maybe I'm in the minority (I'm sure I'll find out here), but I could care less about ground footage, ceremonies, parties, and cool swoops. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing that too, but not on this video. When I think of the 2003 Nationals video, what I want is something inexpensive to study and use as a training tool as soon after the competition ends as possible.

Any feedback from other individuals who have purchased Nationals videos in the past? (I have them from the last three years and I only use them to study for training.)

As a training tool it is only going to help the teams that can jump after the event. Most the people up north are still recieving snow so its not that great of a tool to them (I'm one of them and after Nationals we got maybe 6-7 weeks jumping before winter last year and we are still grounded). I can't see putting the time into a project to make 4 or 5 versions of the product for the low profit that the tape makes. Thats just my opinion.

It should be decided if its going to be a training tool, or an event movie. It sounds like this year they did the best option and created well edited training tools.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I guess I disagree with being able to jump as a requirement to train or make effective use of video. Visualization is such a huge part of the sport, that video review of yourself and others - especially the open class teams - is vital.

Also, so there is no confusion, I would like both disks, raw and fully produced. It would be a disservice to the community not to produce a good movie about the event we collectively spent more than a million dollars to train for. But what makes a good movie does not make the optimal training tool, and I believe there is room for both.

I already have them. Well, I don't have the Knights' video yet, but I've been studying Airspeed and Majik video for some time. I also watch video of myself, and those from past Nationals. The GK performance in round 5 of 2002 was a thing of beauty; it demonstrates quite clearly what my coaches have told me repeatedly: do less. I find such performances to be inspiring and instructive. I hope to find similar beauty in the 2003 footage.

There are a host of other reasons why head-to-head competition footage is a good training tool and quite different from the disks and tapes. Best is to use a variety of resources, and keep an open mind about how to do a block, engineer a dive, launch a point, etc. This is substantially aided with the footage I desire.