diablopilot

Would it make a difference?

Would it make a difference to you if a freefly suit manufacturer offered a LIFETIME warrenty on their product?

Would it make you more likely to buy their product?

Another Question.

Would it make a difference to you who that company had as sponsored athletes?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

In terms of the lifetime warranty-- it depends. If it didn't make the suit exorbitantly expensive, maybe. Especially if you're talking about patches and repairs, maybe new velcro now and then. Alterations (say for weight loss-- can't do too much for weight gain.) If it's just the standard "defects in material and workmanship", I think that once you've jumped it a few times that gets categorized as regular wear and tear. (And, are we talking freefly suits that might also double as tandem suits?)

In terms of sponsored athletes, it would only make a difference if it was me that they sponsored.:P

Would it make a difference to you if a freefly suit manufacturer offered a LIFETIME warrenty on their product?

No, and I don't think it would be reasonable to expect one from a manufacturer. Although I would say that a suit should hold up for more than just a few years given normal wear and tear. I have a pair of freefly pants that have gone way beyond my expectations as far as longevity. I will purchase from this company again.

Tough question. If a company sponsors people of merit, that says something to me about how they chose to do business. Then again, the entire sponsorship issue seems to be a rather touchy subject lately as seen in other threads.
At the end of the day I guess what I would have to say on that issue is that I would rather purchase what I believe in than be given something for free that I don't.

Depends on what the warranty covers, how much more expensive the suit would have to be to make offering the warranty worthwhile to the manufacturer and how much of a hassle it is to get repairs done under warranty. If I need work done to my suit it may be more convenient for me to have a local seamstress fix it rather than to ship it back to the manufacturer.

I can see a lifetime warranty limiting future sales for the company. How many jumpers have more than one freefly suit?

No. I don't choose my gear based on who gets it free or at a reduced cost.

Would it make you more likely to buy their product?

No. Like everyone else said, I seriously doubt any "lifetime warranty" would cover wear and tear, like ripping the ass out because of ass-surfing. Even if it did, who has time to send their suit all the way back to a manufacturer just to get a patch put on?

Another Question. Would it make a difference to you who that company had as sponsored athletes?

No. I don't buy my suits just because Tony, Ray, Mike, Bev choose to sponsor top-level teams. I am going to buy the suit that fits me best and gives me the best customer service. That said, people have incredibly diverse feelings about their experiences with certain manufacturers. Some people absolutely LOVE the service they get from Tony, yet others hate it, even though they are talking about the exact same product/person making it. Ultimately, you are going to buy from the person that gives YOU the best product AND treats YOU right.

Peace,

Chuck

What does the warranty cover?

I'm not really sure there's all that much that can go wrong in a freefly suit. It has zippers and velcro but that's about it. No grippers constantly getting pulled on. No booties getting worn out. No wings.

Now, if you could find me a camera suit manufacturer that would give me a lifetime warranty it would definately be worth an extra $100 in long term savings, but I'd also be curious about the turn around of the repairs.

As for the sponsorship issue. If I was buying any piece of equipment I would want to see what the top people in the field are using. Not so much because I want to be like them, but because if the item didn't work at all, they simply wouldn't use it.

In freefly, I'm not so sure that the suit is all that big of a deal. My guess is that Alchemy can do just fine wearing prison jumpsuits. So for a suit manufacturer to use sponsorship to their advantage they would really need to prove to me that they have some sort of edge over the competition. My guess is that when talking about freefly suits this edge comes not from the basic design, but rather the service. I'm not sure how much I'd be able to actually see that on a sponsored team though. Maybe through endorsements in ads, "Hi. I'm Rook Nelson. When my team needed new suits 2 weeks before Nationals, I called "SuperFly" and they delivered for me. They'll also deliver for you."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What does the warranty cover?

Failures in workmenship, and defects in materials. Of course wear is not.

I'm not really sure there's all that much that can go wrong in a freefly suit.

At the higher airspeeds of freefly, lots of wierd failures begin that are not seen on other suits. A fabric that might last a 1000 jumps on a "tight" RW suit, may have a life of 100 jumps on a "baggy" freefly suits.

True enough, but we've all heard the horror stories haven't we? Plus if a manufacturer is going to stick their neck out like that, would you feel they might take a little more care in making sure their product is right before it ships? Or is it pretty much a non issue?