lintern

Ear problems due to altitude and pressure

I have recently done 5 AFF jumps at Empuriabrava in Spain.

After each jump my ears always popped and continued to do so hours afterwards. My hearing was also reduced.

I tried equalising (as scuba divers do) both on the ride up to altitude and after the jump.

On return to the UK my ears were still popping and I noticed that my left ear had gone 'deaf'.

About 6 years ago I had a bad cold and an ear infection in my left ear. It turned out that my ear drum was perforated but I was told it would heal itself over time.

Because of this I thought I should get it checked out by the doctor.

The doctor said it was still perforated and slightly infected so I am now on antibiotics for a week.

He said that a perforated ear "shouldn't" be a problem when skydiving because the hole in my ear drum would just mean that theres no pressure difference.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and if it could be a permanent problem when I'm skydiving?

I am going back to Empuriabrava to finish off my AFF (the weather in the UK has been sh*t!).

I always seem to suffer more than most people with my ears when flying on passenger jets or when I've done beginner scuba diving courses.

I really hope it is not going to be a problem with my skydiving ? [:/]

Don't worry too much - I learn't to scuba dive about 12 years ago and then gave it up for 10 years because it hurt too much - i just couldn't equalise and all my mates were at the bottom while i was still flailing around 10m above.
Recently i went to the phillipines and had a friend there who was a divemaster - he took me down REALLY slowly and i enjoyed my first scuba dive ever.

Now obviously you don't have the slow option in freefall :D and i still don't equalise as well as most others can under canopy but i have found the more scuba and freefall i do, the more my eardrums "loosen up" and the better it gets each time. If you are getting infected then maybe that is a slightly different issue but my ears certainly get better the more i do.

Hope this helps
Dave
Never try to eat more than you can lift

You might try chewing gum on the climb to altitude, and after the jump. The constant movement of the jawbone, will often keep the eustachian tube from settling with pressure against the ear drum.

Once on the ground, you can try the valsalva method of clearing your ears, by holding your nose, closing your mouth, and trying to blow out both.

This MAY cause a sharp pain, but it is not a lingering pain, but rather a short term one. You may have to do the valsalva method several times but chewing gum may reduce the number of times to get your ears cleared.

Make sure your ears are free of wax before going to jump.

Have the doctor check the perforated drum periodically, just to make sure there is no increase in damage.

Bill Cole D-41

OK – I have no medical qualifications but I have been jumping 10 years and have had a lot of problems with my ears and pressure changes so I can tell you my experiences. [:/]

My ear problems have primarily been caused by a wisdom tooth that is growing into my inner ear B| – this was only discovered in December last year and I am still on the waiting list to have it removed on the NHS. [:/][:/][:/]

The bottom line is that if your ears won’t clear or “equalise” on the ground then don’t jump. It’s a simple rule and it will save you from a lot of unnecessary pain B| because trust me, when you jump and get it wrong the pain you will suffer for the next couple of days is absolutely unbearable.B|B|B|

There are things you can do that will help a lot – the problem is often worse if I am a bit sniffly (and – lets face it – in a UK winter it’s rare not to be a bit sniffly) so I take a decongestant tablet in the morning before I start jumping – I use the Boots own brand ones. I keep a pack of those Wrigleys Thin Ice things in my jumpsuit pocket and put a couple of those on the roof of my mouth for the ride to altitude – that helps clear my “tubes”. My final tip is a drop or two of Olbas oil in the nose/mouthpiece of my full face. Now you won’t be allowed to wear a full face yet, but you could always put a drop or two of Olbas oil in a hanky and sniff it on the way to altitude.

It shouldn’t cause you a huge problem with jumping – my ear problems have never stopped me jumping for more than a couple of weeks at a time. But… simple rule to remember… if your ears won’t clear on the ground don’t even think about jumping.

hth - feel free to PM me if you like.

Vicki

so I take a decongestant tablet in the morning before I start jumping –

I would caution against taking ANY medication before a jump. This goes for those with sinus problems and those without. However, if you are already having sinus problems, tainting your blood could be quite detrimental. You would like to be 100% pure when you go up to altitude and decrease your oxygen, pump a bunch of adrenaline in your body and then try to make a skydive.

The valsalva method, or "equilising" is only for the ride down. It is not to be used on the ride up to altitude. Instead, try the aforementioned gum chewing, yawning or other methods. Just be sure to spit out or swallow your gum before jump run :ph34r:.

I started jumping with a Pro-Tec - a helmet that has open ear slots. I never had an issue with my sinuses when I jumped that. I recently bought a Mindwarp. This helmet has closed ear slots and is quite a snug fit on my skull. Since I started jumping the Mindwarp I have had ear popping problems under canopy, but nothing that couldnt be easily resolved. If you are not currently jumping a helmet that allows your ears to "breath" I would suggest checking in to one.

Best of Luck!

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

Fair enough - I should have said check with your doctor about taking medication before jumping. But for me the Boots decongestants are an absolute god-send and I won't go on a jumping holiday without them (I've just stocked up for my next trip today)

As for helmets.. interesting point... I have at various times jumped in a Pro-Tec, a frappe hat and a Z1 full face. I've noticed no difference in how my ears "behave" when changing helmets. It's an interesting point though - I might see if I can do a jump or two on something different sometime and see how I go.

Vicki

I'm not sure why, but after my AFF 1 I could barely hear the radio because my ears were so gunged up; the next few I got into the habit of partially clearing them (by holding my nose, closing my mouth and blowing hard). At some point, maybe after 10-15 jumps, I stopped having the problem, so maybe your body just adjusts to it. I don't know what other's experiences have been though.

Does anyone know if there's a risk of developing Tinitis due to the air noise? Should we all be wearing ear-plugs?
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Does anyone know if there's a risk of developing Tinitis due to the air noise? Should we all be wearing ear-plugs?

There is a risk of losing your hearing. I used to not care or even think about it until I started talking with a videographer at my DZ who had been jumping since the dawn of time. Every time you talk to him he tilts his head and says "Huh? What's that? Speak up." He says he lost his hearing through riding in airplanes all his life without earplugs.

If you think about it, you're inside a giant metal tube with vibrating engines sending sounds bouncing off the walls for 15-30 minutes at a time. You do a few hundred jumps and the cumulative damage is horrendous!

We should ALL be wearing earplugs on EVERY jump if you value your hearing at least a little bit. You may not think it's much, but trust me it adds up.

You should, however, take them out before exiting the aircraft. Your ears will have difficulty equalizing on the way down with foam blocking the air.

Edited cuz I didn't know what Tinnitus is, but I found out :ph34r:

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and if it could be a permanent problem when I'm skydiving?

I also have a perforated membrane in one ear. It is NOT a problem for skydiving if you are smart about it. You will learn to deal with the problem and still enjoy your skydives.

Choose a helmet that protects your ear from the wind. Pro-tecs with holes at the ear slots should be covered with tape, otherwise any helmet will do. Since I started wearing a full face, I have had no pain after or during a skydive.

Why are you scuba diving with a perforated ear drum??? Are you able to keep ALL water out of your ear when you are submerged?

The only other advice I will offer is that you stay on the ground while you have that infection.

Good luck.

so I take a decongestant tablet in the morning before I start jumping –

I would caution against taking ANY medication before a jump. This goes for those with sinus problems and those without. However, if you are already having sinus problems, tainting your blood could be quite detrimental. You would like to be 100% pure when you go up to altitude and decrease your oxygen, pump a bunch of adrenaline in your body and then try to make a skydive.

The valsalva method, or "equilising" is only for the ride down. It is not to be used on the ride up to altitude. Instead, try the aforementioned gum chewing, yawning or other methods. Just be sure to spit out or swallow your gum before jump run :ph34r:.

I started jumping with a Pro-Tec - a helmet that has open ear slots. I never had an issue with my sinuses when I jumped that. I recently bought a Mindwarp. This helmet has closed ear slots and is quite a snug fit on my skull. Since I started jumping the Mindwarp I have had ear popping problems under canopy, but nothing that couldnt be easily resolved. If you are not currently jumping a helmet that allows your ears to "breath" I would suggest checking in to one.

Best of Luck!

Napaguy99 was the most accurate on this issue.

I am fully qualified to discuss this issue.

A. DO NOT jump with a perforated eardrum. I can't believe your doctor (evidently someone not qualified to discuss flying issues) would say it's OK to have pressure changes across a perforated eardrum.

B. DO NOT valsalva on ascent. ONLY on descent. (A lot of people get this one wrong.) Pressure in the middle ear will automatically equalize during ascent. Gum chewing good, valsalva bad.

If you would like further clarification, please PM me.

For all others, do not jump with a cold, wear earplugs or you will be deaf in a few short years. And pull your snug helmets away from your ears after the canopy is open.....

cheers,

Buck

For all others, do not jump with a cold, wear earplugs or you will be deaf in a few short years. And pull your snug helmets away from your ears after the canopy is open.....

I sometimes wear ear plugs on the ride to altitude (which I remove before exit) believing that I'm protecting my ears from excessive noise. Are you saying that this will lead to loss of hearing? What is your reasoning?

The gum method used to work for me when I first started jumping and was suffering. I found after about 60 or so jumps that it was no longer an issue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

I sometimes wear ear plugs on the ride to altitude (which I remove before exit) believing that I'm protecting my ears from excessive noise. Are you saying that this will lead to loss of hearing? What is your reasoning?

The gum method used to work for me when I first started jumping and was suffering. I found after about 60 or so jumps that it was no longer an issue.

Wear earplugs anytime your exposed to noise!!!

Short term exposure to high ambient noise will result in loss of hearing.

Long term exposure to even low ambient noise will eventually result in loss of hearing.

Basically, being around/in jump planes (some planes are quieter than others!), you risk the chance of ruining your hearing.

Earplugs are a cheap alternative. But they must be worn correctly. Sounds funny, but most people do not insert the plugs correctly. Ever get down from a jump with ringing ears? If so, you've had some damage to your hearing....

----
And some people can clear there ears/sinuses with no problems while others have issues....

Hope this helps, if not feel free to PM me....B|

Buck

DoH!

Just realised after reading it again that I misinterpreted what you were saying, and that you were advocating the use of ear plugs. :S

Apologies :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk