DOCsa

how long did is take you to get back in the sky

Hey I tore a few ligaments 2 weeks ago and want to jump already I was wondering how long it to every one else before they where jumping again??

well...lessee...
normal landing... first step down... shattered my right heel back in February 2003.
Developed a staph infection in the bone in March... did oral antibiotics until May... had to have all the metal they put in taken out and the bone scraped off in June... was put on daily IV antibiotics until 2 days before I left for freefall convention...

Made 3 jumps at the convention... from August to November I made 15 jumps...

So to answer your question... I made the initial injury on February 16th, 2003... and I wanted to be in the air again the very next weekend.

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

I would say it depends on how bad your sprain is. I tore mine 2 weeks ago, and the Ortho said it's the worst type of sprain because there was bruising on both sides of my ankle and from my toes to halfway up my calf. I was on crutches for a week and I am now hobbling along with a splint. He told me I can jump in 4 weeks, but only with the splint on because it takes ligaments 12 weeks to heal, there's no way to rush it. If your sprain is similiar, I'd say that is a good guideline.

I suppose I could tape it and rush it. But, I'm kind of fond of having body parts that work at full capacity going into my old age, so I'm going to wait it out and follow doctors orders. The sky will always be there.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Tore my ACL last June, had replacement surgery in July & started jumping again end of October. Of course I wasn't careful enough and partially tore the NEW ACL right away. B| I'm much more careful about my landings now.

I asked around about healing times too but just remember that we all heal differently. Older/younger, smoker or not, how physically fit you are, etc...it all effects how quickly you heal. That and make sure you do your physical therapy! The people who start PT before even having surgery seem to heal faster.

Good Luck!

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

Well, I had a major skydiving injury in february (february 21st to be exact). I was in ICU for 6 days, which I have no memory of what so ever. After I got out of ICU, and placed in the trauma unit, all I could think about was skydiving, and how long it would be til i could get in the air again. So that took 1 week about??? Granted when i actually get in the air, is a different story... We'll see.

Good luck with your injury, and just take your time, you have your whole life to jump out of the plane. ;)

blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

thanx for the input made me wait 1 more week for my leg to heal better before i jumped again (doctor wanted to put me in a cast for 2 months ) it's been 2 weeks and i'm ready to jump again thanx to a chinese healer

About 6 months layoff for me after ACL replacement surgery. I had the hamstring graft, sound like it depends on which graft you get for what the docs like you to do when. Anytime somebody tells you they're going to drill a hole in your bones, pay attention - it's gonna hurt for a while. Good luck with your recovery.

Lance

even YEARS after i dislocated my knee & broke my ankle in 2 spots, a bad or atypical landing will still send a shot of pain through or will make it tender through out the day.....
.... i would give it 1 more week (@ least) to be sure that #1 you're healed enough and #2 to consider all the factors involved (i.e., reinjuring, currency, etc.)

HaVe A gOoD 1!
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com