schwede

ZHILLS 2 point 140 WAY

I saw Cora, and Arlo, and Mary, and Happythoughts, and I wish I had met more.

The dz girls were telling me that you were dead sexaaay. I told them you were a taken man and to keep their little mitts off. Just trying to help. ;)

The bench team contributed a lot of people who really did their job well. We didn't use all of them.

Being an organizer, there is tough decisions that must be made sometimes. Once you have the record, you add people that may be "unproven". Until then, the organizer has a responsibility to the other 120 people to make it work. Sometimes, you have to go with the guaranteed answer, not gamble.

A lot of people were pulled from the bench, but remember, a lot of "ringers" got cut. From my plane, four. The credentials of those people are incredible, no favorites were played there. We started out with 134, cut to 119, continually added from the bench.

I'm a world record holder. I'm lucky, and grateful.

It'll get beat, and I'll be taking pictures next time. Tony Hathaway is the coolest.

In '98, the record was 118. It took 5 years to beat it with 120. Three groups tried this year to beat 120.
Beating it isn't going to be easy. We did it with a really tough formation.

The jump before the record was a bad funnel. But if you do big ways your going to have them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not always.

-jp- (Southern Command

My point being was that if you do enough big ways, you WILL have a funnel on one. If you do a few you might not. They are to a degree part of big ways that make the jumps a little more scarey.

In '98, the record was 118. It took 5 years to beat it with 120. Three groups tried this year to beat 120.
Beating it isn't going to be easy.

Last year at Perris we had a 2 point 124 way held for about 7 sec after the 2nd point, but 2 people on the very outside missed the key and didnt change grips.[:/]
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Last year at Perris we had a 2 point 124 way held for about 7 sec after the 2nd point, but 2 people on the very outside missed the key and didnt change grips.

Last year, we had 120 people and we keyed 3 points. However, it didn't count because of a missed grip. I think that one person didn't have the right grip before going to the 2nd point, thus making it and the 3rd point invalid.

We also did several 125-ways last year. In almost all cases, it was one person out.

This year, on jump 18, we did both points, but had one person out.

Stuff like that sucks.

Stuff like that sucks.

Yes it does.
I dont know whats worst?
Seeing someone low that will never get back up, or having everyone in and getting to the ground thinking you have it, only to find out someone didnt change grips, or had the wrong grip?[:/]

On some of the jumps on the the AZ 300 way and the Thailand 357 way jumps I saw people go low soon, and knew they weren't going to get back up. So you just scream in your helmet and go up and try it again till ya get it....;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

We had 3 (I think) single point completions with more than 130 people this year. One was a 133-way. On the second point, fall rate differences killed us at first.

On jump 18, the guy was going low on approach. It reminded me of bowling, or golf, when the ball is going too far one way and you are yelling "left... left" and giving it body English. :D I'm yelling "Float dammit" inside my helmet. :S

Last year, when we thought we had a 3-pointer, everyone was in the landing area hooting. This year, I waited for the video and the announcement.

Beating it isn't going to be easy.

Last year at Perris we had a 2 point 124 way held for about 7 sec after the 2nd point, but 2 people on the very outside missed the key and didnt change grips.[:/]

Well, that's the point (or not the point), isn't it. Getting a clean key and transition is harder than one might expect. Both human factors and physics are involved. Engineering a multi point big way is difficult and certainly not yet routine.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kallend,

Being the engineering fellow you are how would you build the star, next year? I bet they will go after a two point that has a record star in it.

fr

Biggest pure star I was on was only a 24 way - I don't think I'm the person to answer the question.

But I will anyway.

I'd build it as smaller star with zippers all around, and have the zippers break in.

or

Maybe the first point should just be a no-contact star, and on the key everyone takes grips!;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was once in a 16-way competition and a star was one of the points. Billy Weber was on the team and said that there are two problems with building a star. Level differences and fragility.

Say you are 2 inches lower than the person next to you. When you are 3/4ths of they way around, that person is 2 feet lower than you.

The way to get around this is to select 4 people at the compass points. You don't get your fall rate from the person next to you, but from the person across from you.

Look at the 3 people directly across from you and match their fall rate.

The 40-way base (the hurricane) for the 121-way was more unstable than a star. We proved we can fly that.

I was once in a 16-way competition and a star was one of the points. Billy Weber was on the team and said that there are two problems with building a star. Level differences and fragility.

Say you are 2 inches lower than the person next to you. When you are 3/4ths of they way around, that person is 2 feet lower than you.

The way to get around this is to select 4 people at the compass points. You don't get your fall rate from the person next to you, but from the person across from you.

Look at the 3 people directly across from you and match their fall rate.

The 40-way base (the hurricane) for the 121-way was more unstable than a star. We proved we can fly that.

I was, as far as I know, the only participant on last week's record, who was on the world record 104 way star in 1997. I know how to do a large star over 100 people, but I'm going to keep quiet for now, as I have a few details to work out, and I haven't been officially asked yet by Guy and co to help out with their attempt. I'll be putting the theory into practice at this years Hercules Boogie in Sweden in July. ;)

If you guys are interested in how to build a large star, ask the people who organized the world record stars.

Tony Dominico. Kate Cooper.

Edit to set the record straight, and attempt to stay out of the dog house:$;)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

When I get home tonight I will try to post some of the pics I took on the ground during the record attempt - I was only there for a few hours but have some of flyangel2, happythoughts, kallend, and just some general landing shots and dirt dives.

I will try to post some of the pics I took on the ground during the record attempt - I was only there for a few hours but have some of flyangel2, happythoughts, kallend,

Gee, I hope it's not those private pictures I let you take;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

If you guys are interested in how to build a large star, ask the guy who's organized the world record stars.

Tony Dominico.

Ask me, I stole the idea fromhim, and added a few touches of my own, like the use of magic shorts.

Oh yes, and a different build sequence.

I was, as far as I know, the only participant on last week's record, who was on the world record 104 way star in 1997.

I'm trying to remember -- was that second point a 104 round around a 10-way round? Same as day before, but with 10 more people on the round?

Yep, that was it. We may need to changer the build slightly if we want to go much bigger though.

I will try to post some of the pics I took on the ground during the record attempt - I was only there for a few hours but have some of flyangel2, happythoughts, kallend,

Gee, I hope it's not those private pictures I let you take;)

Nope - holding those for possible extortion later on :):P