ltdiver

You're not a real skydiver unless....

That was a freaky load... the winds had been calm all day, but the uppers REALLY picked up for sunset load. I had been doing hop and pops from 9k all day to get current on my new canopy.

The girl landed ~4 miles off (not 8) and that was my fault because I talked her into joining me [:/] (she was under a very lightly loaded canopy)

Yeah, I'd say that was a bad load to be on with a lightly loaded canopy. Guess I'm a real skydiver now.:P

Tony

That may have been true when people jumped rounds, but with square canopies, you better have a pretty good excuse for landing in one. ...

Here's one: CRW exit 3 mi SE of Kapowsin. If you get the spot/winds wrong or have a cutaway, it gets interesting real fast. Forests, clear cuts, river beds, and not a lot else. I've not actually landed in a tree, but I've retrieved gear (mine and others) from some pretty out-of-the-way places. If tree landings are the measure, I prefer staying less than a real skydiver.

Bob

Brett Clark (works in the Perris loft - thanks again Brett!) took the pic with some sort of ass kicking Nikon, IIRC. I'm piloting the lower two stack and geeking the camera with a thumbs up that can't be seen. It made last October's Parachutist on p. 40, where it shows even more of the less than friendly terrain we get out over. Sucks when it rains but it's gorgeous when the sun comes out.

Bob

Reminds me of a picture I took last weekend of a friend of mine landing. I snapped just as his canopy was framing Long's Peak (one of our local 14ers).

Camera is a Canon Digital Rebel with the factory 18-55 lens. Image is cropped, zoomed and compressed, so you can't see the image quality very well, but this thing takes awesome photos.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Sweet pic! I've seen that view before. I lived in Boulder in the early '80s and still remember how fantastic the flatirons looked early on a sunny clear morning after a fresh dusting of snow the night before (wouldn't want to land there either).

Bob

2nd jump,S/L with a T10,spot was WAY off,landed in the middle of an apple orchard. Missed the trees,landed in the row between them-but then got stung by a bee.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL