justin84

can a big guy skydive safely?

Maybe this off-topic, but I am 6' 1/2"--about 210 (plan to drop 10+ lbs before jumping again) with an athletic build. Am *I* considered "a heavyweight" or a "mediumweight"? Most of the jumpsuit makers seems to allow for only "light" or "medium" weight jumpers (at least in the catalogs).

Am I doomed to wear only ugly thick poly jumpsuits that look like I should be pumping gas?

Did I make a $185 mistake by ordering a Slipstream II in "Large" that fits rather snug-ly (like a 2nd skin)?

I only have 19 jumps, graduated AFF and did a couple of RWs w/ my instructor as well as four solos.
I'm also 3 years out of currency and getting back into it for my "A" in another month. I've always hated the dorky school jumpsuits that either were two sizes too big or rode up my legs like Capri pants (DORK!!!)

Will I be a menace in my formfitting Slipstream II? Will my instructors be struggling to keep up with another "Anvil" (me)?

First, your instructors have to dress both you and them for success.

You may wish to consider a special design for us "Anvils" developed by Flitesuit. Ryan Gifford will explain to you how the suit design is beneficial. First, they make the RW suit a "little" more baggy in the torso and legs, but the real key is they have developed a ZP wing inside the RW suit. Using the "mantis" position, I am able to vary my fall rate between 104 and 120 mph. (I was called a "floaty bastard" by one of the load organizers at WFFC this year. He actually asked me how I did that - that he "didn't get it" - my being able to float outside an 8 way at my size - 6'6" 240)

My freefly suit is a Tonysuit tie-fly suit (supplex body for coolness with heavy denim arms and legs for drag). I asked for extra baggy and they make it EXTRA baggy for us Anvils.

Hope that helps.

I guess I REALLY qualify as an anvil at 5'2" and 220lbs minus equipment. B|

I'm brand new to the sport but seriously bitten by the bug and eager to earn my license via AFF training. My question is where to find a jumpsuit that'll fit me. I had to jump in my hospital scrubs and a sweater because they didn't have a suit with a large enough waist in it. Perhaps I should just sew my own suit?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just bitten by the bug and eager to start training and earn a license...

If you are serious about getting into the sport then order a suit. I had Flightsuit make me one and its great. I am 6'1 240 out the door and can fly with the tiny guys now that I have the drag I need. Mine was about $200 with the options I picked. It has made a big difference in my ability to control speed and stability in freefall. Skybytch had them put extra drag on me and had it made freefly-able also.
Oz

I contacted Bevsuit and she suggested polycotton on the front,
polycotton forearms, a loose fit and possibly some wing and swoop cords to add to the drag and help me float. Any other suggestions? I'm at the gym all the time, but I suspect I'll have to learn proper techniques to become a floaty damned anvil and compensate with a suit and large chute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just bitten by the bug and eager to start training and earn a license...

suggested polycotton on the front,
polycotton forearms, a loose fit and possibly some wing and swoop cords to add to the drag and help me float. Any other suggestions?

Poly Cotton is ok..... but a heavier material like a light canvas is BETTER.. more drag.. all the other features.. are a good thing.

When I made my first jump I weighed 283 lbs.. Of course my tandem master was the smallest one they could find but it all worked out.
Now I'm 260 lbs. and 70 jumps later and I have a 230 ft. main canopy. So, yes, it is safe to jump when you're that big. Just voice any and all of your concerns to your instructor...and pick a good nickname.

but a heavier material like a light canvas is BETTER

Except when its 97 degrees out.
This might not relate to fall rate but its a valid point.
I have to wear my (poly-cotton) suit to fly with anyone so even in the summer I will be wearing it and sweating my ass off.
If it was heavier material like canvas I'd probably pass out in the plane on the ride up .:S
__

My mighty steed