airgord

skydiving sponsors

My employers are sponsoring a freefly team, seems like a nice deal, new rigs (3), little mini rig back packs (3 again), cool. Today one of them called up and inquired about their new rigs (almost finished) and then proceeded to ask if they wanted to chip in some cash to put the company logo on the team shirt that they are coming out with, asking their sponsor to *pay* to put a logo on the team shirt!
Here is a little guideline for keeping a sponsor happy; "Ask not what your sponsor can do for you, ask what you can do for your sponsor".
Your sponsor gives you items that they make or sell and they expect you to help them sell more of these items that they make or sell, pretty simple really, and when you call and ask for money to promote the sponsors products that makes you seem pretty ungrateful. Done.

I agree with you for the most part. However, I look at a sponsorship relationship as more of a two-way street. In fact, sponsors are the ones that pay out when their logos are spotted in magazines. Such is the case in other sports. They are also the ones flying their sponsored competitors all around to different competitions. Unfortunately, the skydiving industry is small (financially speaking) and some of the most successful skydivers are still living in trailers. If it was any other sport, they would be king and queens.
Specifically, I'm not saying I disagree with your post at all, I'm just saying that it would be great to reward the top athletes of our sport with more than just free rigs and pack-jobs. Incidently, I do however think there are several quite generous DZs and manufacterers out there.
-Rap

I'm just saying that it would be great to reward the top athletes of our sport with more than just free rigs and pack-jobs.

Sheesh. Do you realize what a rig costs these days?

Sponsorship is a two way street.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

and if you have tits

I have tits. That must be why I have sponsors. Last time I checked every human being is born with at least 2 tits(+/-). Sponsorship IS a 2 way street regardless of ones appendages or sex.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

and if you have tits

What men don't have them?
Women make up 15% of this sport. To my knowledge, women who are sponsored comprise less than 1% of that 15%. If one thinks they are sponsored because of thier gender, perhaps it would be wise to go out and fly with a few of them. Odds are they can fly most people....like cheap kites.