ACMESkydiver

I keep spraining my thumb on landing

ARGH! I have to concentrate on every damn landing to tuck my thumbs in, or if I fall to the side or forward (and yeah it happens; I still am trying to work out taking a step on landings...still too much forward speed [:/]) I keep spraining my damn thumbs. Ok, so yesterday wasn't as bad as the first time (I actually dislocated and sprained the thing the first time) but this hurts like a &$*%# and I'm getting wayyy too annoyed with this. -Can I jump with a brace on? I'm gonna have to wear it again...this morning I was just in tears trying to get dressed...and it wouldn't effect my pull, I curl my fingers around the hacky when I pull and rarely does my thumb ever even touch it. I also have a firm grip on my cut-away pillow (I checked). -Only problem with that is the joint brace holds my thumb out to the side rigid...and if I fell like that, I'm thinking that would hurt terribly...B|

Does anyone else have this issue? Spraining your thumb I mean? Even when I stand the landings -and thankfully that is more times than not now- it is not terribly uncommon for me to trip as I'm turning to collapse my canopy (some serious cabbage we've been landing in lately :()

What about taping my thumb to my hand? That way I couldn't end up with it sticking out at all...>sigh< I dunno.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I do have a couple...nothing I could post here for review, they aren't digital. It's been kinda tough to get help with my landings at my DZ lately....everyone is just very busy right now...but we're having 'Gonna Be Day' on the 5th of June so I'll get some canopy coaching that day that I'm really stoked about.

Hey! Ya know what?? I think I might have just figured it out...hmm, I only end up crushing my thumb joints when I've started my flare too high...I don't usually start my flare too high, I just have been having major issues with landing too fast, so the only thing I could come up with would be to start flaring earlier...however leads to this problem. :(

One coach that observed a landing of mine a few weeks ago said he thought that maybe I was starting my first stage too early, then finishing it off too late...I don't know. I think I'll try to take a wrap on the brakes next time...this last time I had my arms fully extended all the way down on top of my thighs and I still just could not slow down to a point that I could run it out even...that's when >ouch< I smashed my thumb again.
~Jaye

Hookitt, for the video, I think you can just imagine a feet-knees-hands landing that was almost a soft standup.

Acme, maybe you should trim your nails? Maybe it's that 8 mm of extra leverage the ground is getting on your thumb that's getting you. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

ACMESkydiver,

Don't tape your thumb TO your hand! We humans have opposable thumbs for a reason, you know: skydiving emergencies. If you have to go for your handles in a real emergency, you'll want your trusty - albeit sore - thumb ready. Try instead to find a flexible brace - perhaps neoprene or something. Don't use an ace bandage, though, it'll just come off in freefall, mess up your video, cover your eyes, or one of those little ace bandage hooks will catch your instructor's nostril or something. All bad juju.

Having spent many a year taking care of Marines in the field (Semper Fi), I can say that you don't want gear failure screwing up the mission. And, half-ass first aid jobs will result in gear failure just when you don't want them to.

So, if you must jump, use a neoprene brace or wrap made for the purpose. What I'd really suggest though, is a few days of what we in field call "light duty". Take a break, pop some NSAIDS (ibuprofen, naprosyn), eat lots of meat, and let that puppy heal. Then jump.

If you love your freedom, thank a Marine and the Corpsman that patched him up.

Rock on Milwaukee,

topher

EDITED TO ADD: Web tutorial on sprained thumb

"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

What about taping my thumb to my hand?

As a former ski patroller, I can tell you that thumb injuries are the most common skiing injures. You just never hear about them because most people don't report them. But any sort of ligament injury does take time to heal. So you're likely just re-injuring your thumb time and time again. Instead of taping your thumb to your hand (not a good idea), how about taping your thumb in a preventive manner. It's so much easier to show someone in person as to how to do this (rather than trying to explain it), but once it's done and if done right, it will immobilize the joint and thus your much less likely to suffer any further ligament damage to an immobolized joint.

PM me if you need details on how to tape your injured thumb. Who knows maybe there is a website out there which shows pictures of how to tape the thumb.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Just got back from the pharmacy..sheesh, I sure wish I could have found my other brace...this one cost me $47 B|[:/]

I got some tape for jumping too, and I'll use that if I go a sky-jumpin' tomorrow to get my PINK MAFIA SISTERS number!!!!!
~Jaye

>Does anyone else have this issue? Spraining your thumb I mean?

It is very common when people "stick out their hand to break their fall." Many new jumpers do this before they even finish flaring; this results in a sudden turn (since they are still hanging on to the toggle) and resulting biff.

Solution - don't stick your hand out. Practice PLF's a lot. Do them on every jump, with your hands in your crotch, until you no longer stick your hands out when you land. Don't be afraid of rolling onto your shoulder - it's a lot stronger than your thumb.

It is very common when people "stick out their hand to break their fall." Many new jumpers do this before they even finish flaring; this results in a sudden turn (since they are still hanging on to the toggle) and resulting biff.

-that's just the thing though...I'm not putting my hands out before I'm finished with the flare...my feet are on the ground, hands all the way down and centered...then I fall instead of step. The canopy never dives; I just do. B| Seen it on video. Just a stupid thing that I've grown into doing half of the time. [:/] I'll just have to focus better.

I've had people watch my landings (I only have a couple on tape) and ask "Why didn't you just step forward??" And I have no answer...
~Jaye

I'll use that if I go a sky-jumpin' tomorrow to get my PINK MAFIA SISTERS number!!!!!

So are you ready to do 2 way with Barbie from 3500;)

Exit together...holding Barbie girl...turn & pull...that'll do 'er...:D:D:D
~Jaye

I'll use that if I go a sky-jumpin' tomorrow to get my PINK MAFIA SISTERS number!!!!!

So are you ready to do 2 way with Barbie from 3500;)

If it's just me and Barbie, I'll do a Mr. Bill and we'll land it together.

Offer void if Jeannie is in the picture too. :o

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Eugene you may not be a Pink Mafia Sister...>:(:P

Sh%t, somebody go fetch me some more ice...why the hell do stupid little injuries hurt like *$&% the 2 days after you walk away from them??? >:(>:( I might suck it up and pay the damn $200 or whatever the freak it costs for that shot into my joint...B|:S:( I'm not 18 anymore...I'm getting too old for this sh*t....
~Jaye

Jaye,
After reading this thread, I think you and I could be a comedy team with our landings! But it's not too funny if we get hurt. Why is it we have never jumped together? I signed up for canopy control and landings for Gonna Be day also. I thought I had it figured out, then on the last 5 jumps I have blown it. Well, my last jump yesterday I tried to slide in on my knees because Tom was filming it, so maybe that doesn't count. Yeah, the tall grass in the east field at the moment doesn't help anything except slides and trips! Hope they mow it before June 5th.
Hope taping your thumb helps!

Cindy
Cindy

Life on earth may be expensive,
but it includes a free trip around the sun!

Yeah Cindy...we could do bad landing demos together...throw out same time, spiral down, and come in side-by-side towards the camera...I can plant my feet and fall forward, and you can slide. :D:D:D

Now THAT would be funny....:P

Naw I had it down pat...then it just went to crap for some reason?!? Anyhow, Gonna Be Day should help!!! :)
~Jaye

you know if you guys still have that much speed on landing.. WHAT are the setting of your brakes.. have you gotten out way up high and tried some real canopy input.. flare it and find the stall point... untill you do you cant bring the canopy to a complete stop.... but do this up high... find the stall point.. if you pull the toggles ALLLLLLLLL the way down and you still are not in a stall. let up slowly... take a wrap.. and try again.. if you can then stall the canopy... it may be the brakes need to be RE finger trapped up higher for those WEE little Arms...:P:P:P

Try it.. you will like it..

Wee little arms? That's the first time anyone has said I have wee little arms. Thanks! hahahaha
My problem is leg malfunction. They get close to the ground and behave in the oddest ways. I CAN land standing up, I've done it, in front of witnesses even.
Oh well, I'll keep trying!

Cindy
Cindy

Life on earth may be expensive,
but it includes a free trip around the sun!

Hint: as you turn on final, glance down at your hands, in tight fists around your steering toggles, thumbs on top with little fingers on the bottom.
Visualise yourself finishing the flare with the insides of your wrists sliding down your thighs, taking a couple of steps and turning to collapse your canopy/wave at your adoring fans.

Hint: as you turn on final, glance down at your hands, in tight fists around your steering toggles, thumbs on top with little fingers on the bottom.
Visualise yourself finishing the flare with the insides of your wrists sliding down your thighs, taking a couple of steps and turning to collapse your canopy/wave at your adoring fans.

I WILL DO THAT!!! AND IT WILL WORK!!! :)
-but not today...ti's a frickin' downpour outside today...:P[:/]

Man I thought landing was like riding a bicycle...when you get it, you get it....not so for me!! I had it down...nice soft stand-ups, good proximatey, then it just went to poop for some unknown reason...:( My widdle brain decided to close down that part for repairs or somethin'...
~Jaye