WrongWay

The "maybe you should try bowling" talk....

So, you're not alone, it seems to be a common woman's problem

Landing is an issue for women, but its not theirs alone.
The major problem seen with women canopy pilots is that they look down at the ground rather than looking forward and allowing the canopy to continue to fly.
Nothing wrong with using the back bumpers, everyone does from time to time. :)

I've been told by another 2 instructors that I will probably have to give my next student the bowling speach. (great thing to hear right before you're introduced huh? )

I met him. English was not his first language. He spoke and understood english just fine but when he listened... it "appeared" like he was a deer in the headlights.

We jumped.. He did ok.. but was nervous. He had right turns down to a science!!! Some may call it a spin ;)

Any way, after debriefing, I told him to go home and practice some excersizes he was given. There was no point in wasting his time and money on yet another level 4.

He came back and was so much better. He wasn't quite ready to move on to 5. He could turn left fine.. right he just wasn't able to stop turning. This time it wasn't a spin though. Any way... same thing. I just sent him home.

Every time we talked, he looked like he wasn't listening. He heard every thing and absorbed it just fine. He went home and practiced then came back and nailed level 4 and 5 the same day. Then 6 and 7 the following day.

He bought a rig and went back to his country. Last time he emailed me was about a year ago and he was up to about 150 jumps. Not bad for being told this guy can't skydive ;)

You can't teach everyone. But quite often if you get the correct back ground, and pay attention to what they do on the ground, and how it corelates to what the do in the air, you can teach the student their way, instead of yours.

Have a good weekend! I'm outta here.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

As a fellow student, let me recount the 4 priorities. 1- pull, 2- pull on time, 3- pull stable, 4 - land safely. I think as long as you can do #1 and #4 you'll be welcomed to keep working at it until you can do all the turns, tracks, and flips that the AFF sequence requires. You definitely don't have to get everything right on every jump

This is funny to me because as a student many years ago doing 4 AFF jumps over a 4 month period, not because I wasn't there every weekend to jump but because of the lack of instructors that weren't TM also and weather, winds. Altitude awareness is NOT automatic with many newbies. I never was unstable or any other issues just altitude unaware! I was pulled on level 1 the first time @ 4500'. Passed the second time. Pulled on level 2 when I thought the JM was pointing at something in front of me to watch:o! I was then pulled on my second level 2, not that I was unaware on that one but didn't reach the handle so I dearched to get to it and was pulled as I was pulling it myself! I was so disappointed at failing again that I left the sport for almost 2 years before getting my knees back in the breeze. I never got the bowling is for you(actually am a good bowler!). I was never dangerous.

At a DZ long, long ago and far, far away, a pair of fat-bottomed, thirty-something women showed up for the static-line course. They had no muscle tone and you could see the fat sagging on their thighs.
The thought of that picture still gives me shivers!

Okay, as a new skydiver girl (did a tandem a year ago, did my first AFF yesterday and hoping like hell that next weekend's weather is nice enough for me to jump again), this paragraph really pissed me off.

I did my tandem weighing damn near 200 lbs. I'm 5'3" If my instructors took one look at my flab and wrote me off instead of working with me and within my capabilities, I'd have left very discouraged. I've lost 50 lbs since then, but still an almost 30 year old who's far from petite. Again, if my instructors had looked at my size and had this attitude, it would have shown. Things like this do show, even when you try to hide it. It would definitely have affected my jump to perceive any negativity at all. As it was I went into my jump confident that I knew what I was doing and could do it reasonably well and safely, it kicked ass, and I had a near perfect free fall and landing.

Just because we may not meet your qualifications as ideal does not mean we can't be good skydivers. We deserve to know what kind of potential problems might arise, and how to fix them. As an instructor, don't put mental limitations on what we can do before we have the chance to prove ourselves as students.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Jen,

I appreciate your views. I think the person’s comments were directed toward some people not being in good enough shape to able to do the physical minimum necessary to safely jump. I know of a tandem group that was for people that had gastric bypass surgery. They had all lost large amounts of weight (and good for them!). One of the people in the group endangered herself and the instructor because she was not in good enough shape to lift her legs in front of her for landing. This could have ended badly. Being a little out of shape and needing to lose a few pounds is not the issue (or I would not be jumping) not be in good enough shape to safely jump Is another matter altogether.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

My only point is that the instructor is not a doctor, not in the appropriate position to automatically write someone off based on appearance. at 200+ and 5'3, I was waaaay into the obese zone and fresh out of grad school and being a lump for 4 years. I'm only a year past that now, so no athlete by any stretch of any imagination. If there is doubt of physical condition, bring it up with the student directly and tell them you are concerned and why instead of waiting for a problem to happen (or going into training with a negative attitude when one is not needed).

My husband earned his A yesterday and has been jumping as long as I knew him, so I had a foggy notion as to what was involved, and have spent hours on here reading over the last year. I knew in advance what kind of physical demand was needed and if I could do it or not, most students do not have this benifit, so it is up to DZs to say something if there is concern. But to say nothing and have an instructor that has already mentally giving negative vibes is setting someone up for failure.

Jen

Who still can't land a canopy

I don't land on my feet, but that doesn't mean i'm a bad canopy pilot. I just need to take a canopy course to help get me over my fear of landing on my feet. [:/]

Well, you and I both know a woman who won a Nationals RW medal before consistently standing up her landings. In fact, I don't know that she consistently stands them up yet. However, she's never injured herself or anyone else, and that's the important thing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just a thought. It takes about .75 sec. for a student to reach the end of a static line. In order to short line the student the JM would have to see and identify an exit problem, make the decision to short line and then physically to the act. I do not think it can be done in the time frame available. If the JM short lines the student he had to have unconsciously made the decision before the student leaves the strut/door. I am not a JM but have put out hundreds of test dummies and live test subjects and have never been able to short line after saying go. jmo
Sparky

Well, I've shortlined a bunch, both the old breakcord gutter gear and the new stuff. 3/4 of a second sounds fast until you consider how fast you can react to many things. Also, an experienced jumpmaster can often see the precursors of a bad exit and be extra ready to act. I liked the old breakcord rigs. You could grip just hard enough to stabilize the exit by putting tension on the static line, but still let them have the full drop.

***My only point is that the instructor is not a doctor, not in the appropriate position to automatically write someone off based on appearance.

I can understand you not wanting to be prejudged, and that appearances can be deceiving. I've seen many women and men with weight problems that were, in fact, very strong and robust. As an instructor, though, my main concern is my student's physical safety. Let's face it, although the description seemed a little cruel, those two women sounded like a real hazard to their own health. The bigger you are, the harder you land, the harder you land, the better in shape you need to be. Overweight and out of shape are a really bad combo in this sport.

As an instructor, though, my main concern is my student's physical safety. Let's face it, although the description seemed a little cruel, those two women sounded like a real hazard to their own health. The bigger you are, the harder you land, the harder you land, the better in shape you need to be. Overweight and out of shape are a really bad combo in this sport.

I agree completely. My concern is that nothing was said to them regarding physical fitness. If an instructor has a concern regarding a student's physical ability to perform the tasks necessary for a safe jump, they should tell the student long before getting in the plane, and have a good conversation about that concern to determine if it is indeed valid or not rather than going through the training and dive without directly approaching the subject. By not approaching the subject, there are two big problems.

The first is that the instructor has prejudged the situation, sends negative vibes which any student would pick up on. This decreases confidence level of the student which creates a self fulfilling prophesy. And this is true whether there is a real problem or not.

The second is if there truly is a health risk, it went unaddressed and as a result an unsafe jump was made. From a student perspective, we don't know what to expect with that first jump or exactly what kind of effort it takes from a physical stance. As instructors, you do and if there's a concern, students should be informed directly to prevent a problem from happening.

I'm sorry if my first post didn't convey my thoughts all that clearly.

To clarify my situation... I may look like a cow in a jumpsuit, but can run several miles without getting winded and work out daily. I ride horses, bike, run, tae bo, pilates, etc, so looks are very deceiving with me. But I would rather have a concern pointed out than hidden and just get negative vibes.

Jen

Who still can't land a canopy

I don't land on my feet, but that doesn't mean i'm a bad canopy pilot. I just need to take a canopy course to help get me over my fear of landing on my feet. [:/]

You should look at my spinal xrays.That will get you over the fear of landing on your feet.

Chris

As an instructor, though, my main concern is my student's physical safety. Let's face it, although the description seemed a little cruel, those two women sounded like a real hazard to their own health. The bigger you are, the harder you land, the harder you land, the better in shape you need to be. Overweight and out of shape are a really bad combo in this sport.

I agree completely. My concern is that nothing was said to them regarding physical fitness. If an instructor has a concern regarding a student's physical ability to perform the tasks necessary for a safe jump, they should tell the student long before getting in the plane, and have a good conversation about that concern to determine if it is indeed valid or not rather than going through the training and dive without directly approaching the subject. By not approaching the subject, there are two big problems.

The first is that the instructor has prejudged the situation, sends negative vibes which any student would pick up on. This decreases confidence level of the student which creates a self fulfilling prophesy. And this is true whether there is a real problem or not.

The second is if there truly is a health risk, it went unaddressed and as a result an unsafe jump was made. From a student perspective, we don't know what to expect with that first jump or exactly what kind of effort it takes from a physical stance. As instructors, you do and if there's a concern, students should be informed directly to prevent a problem from happening.

I'm sorry if my first post didn't convey my thoughts all that clearly.

To clarify my situation... I may look like a cow in a jumpsuit, but can run several miles without getting winded and work out daily. I ride horses, bike, run, tae bo, pilates, etc, so looks are very deceiving with me. But I would rather have a concern pointed out than hidden and just get negative vibes.

Jen

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry if my original post offended.

I did not teach ground school to those two women.
I was introduced to them when they were already wearing jumpsuits.
I avoided saying anything about physical fitness for fear of prejudicing the outcomes of their skydives.
I did not realize how little muscle they had until they were unable to lift their feet off the step.

I do not care much about fat content.
The key issue here is muscle content.
These women did not have enough muscle to save themselves.
I do not care whether you are going golfing, or canoeing or skydiving, if you do not have enough muscle to save yourself, you should not try those sports.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here ever given this talk or been present as it was given?

I've only known one person who was probably going to get it, but quit the sport on their own before we got to them. Anyone have any interesting stories?

I had a first clear & pull student who cleared and started pulling on his 3-rings. He eventually gave up on that, arched, then pretty much froze. His AAD worked as advertised and I met him at the bar the next evening for a beer and to encourage him focus on his mountain climbing efforts. I explained that on the mountain he can stop & think about things but that there's no pause button in skydiving. He contemplated making one more jump just to prove something or other, but I was successful in convincing him that a) he didn't need to, and b) it was his idea not to.

Another jumper kept consistently fucking up in ways that were dangerous to himself and to others. Upon being told that we could no longer take the risk of him killing himself or someone else at our DZ, he went across town to where my roommate was instructing. I talked to my friend and tried to convince him not to take this guy on but was unsuccessful. A couple weeks later he was bragging to me about how well this student was doing, that it must have just been a personality difference between him and me, etc. 6-8 weeks after that the guy was on a lifeflight after hooking himself in. He did survive, and got lots of shiny metal pieces installed as a reminder of his flirtation with death.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)