Jeth

WOOOO-HOOOOO!!!! I LOVE TO JUMP!!!!

{caution, long post ahead...}

Wow, what a day yesterday! I went to the DZ with the intention of doing my level 2 and level 3 jumps. I had been concerned because Summerfest was going on. Well, concerned quickly turned to downright freaked! After I got there I went out to watch and saw what seemed like 50 canopies up in the air, all landing so close to each other. I was so nervous I couldn't even eat a bite (and I'd been starving an hour beforehand). What made it worse was that I was the only student there. I kept checking for other students, but the room was always empty.
I bumped into my ground instructor and she tried to ease my nerves. She explained how I'd be pulling a lot higher and therefore landing later than the big bunch so they wouldn't be near me for me to crash into. Then she introduced me to some of her former students. They were all so nice. Explaining how they'd been in my shoes, too, and that it was normal to be afraid, etc, etc. Well, to be honest, that didn't make me feel any better. I knew what they said was true, but talking about it isn't the same as when you're going thru it right at that moment. I had been there 2 hours, and I was really thinking I'd never make it up into the sky. But then, thank god, the new ground school class got out and were preparing for their 1st jump. They were so nervous, and started asking me all about what the 1st jump is like. Those students saved me! I started talking to them and telling them how they knew what to do, etc. My nerves just dissapeared, I was totally revved up and wanted to jump! :)So I got suited up and did my gear check. I had to wait for my instructor cause he was on a previous load with another student. I was still nervous when we got on the plane, but it was better, it was manageable. By exit time, I was feeling even better. I didn't hesitate nearly as long as my 1st jump. I just checked-in and went for it! :) But I still think I knew the pattern and executed it better this time. I only needed help for that last turn, I was going to do it too early. I did my 1-2-3 flare and had a nice soft butt landing. Didn't even slide much.
As soon as I was down, I let out the biggest yell I could! WOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!:)Why the hell did I wait so long!! I can't believe how freakin scared I was!!! It's amazing that I could be scared for 4 hours of a 5 minute jump! Geez! I really wanted to go again, but by the time I got into the hangar it was already dark. But next time, I WILL manifest earlier so I can do more than 1 in a day! And I won't be so damn scared next time! I WILL remember how freakin awesome I felt up there! WOO-HOO!!!!! :)Man, I hope this just keeps getting better and better. I know it will!! I can't wait for the day when my stomach isn't in knots about jumping, cuz I know I love it!!

Thanks to Lisa, Todd and Shane for talking to me. Thanks to Susan and Troy for getting me revved up about it again. And thanks to everybody else who was in the AFP room talking to me (Hey Billy!), you guys got me back up in the sky!!! :)
Woo-hoo!! What a day!! :)(my enthusiasm is obvious in the attached photo)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Glad you finally made it up there. Way to go. And thanks for calling and sharing your excitement, and rubbing it in that I couldn't be there :P.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I,m heaps more nervous on the ground.As soon as i board the plane everythings sweet! I love sitting next to the door and checking out the view. But i like riding up with tandems on board and seeing that there a sh*t load scareder then me! On one load we had about three tandems on board and this one girl let out the biggest bloodcurdling scream everytime someone exited . Its always good to have a laugh up there!
------------------------------------skydiving...the grounds the limit!

AZ Airspeed's 8+way exits from the SkyVan that make the plane shake don't do anything to ease my nerves either. :P

aww dude, the bellyfliers leaving the plane 'enmasse' is one of the best things about the skyvan...it's really fun when you get to run 'uphill' after them ;)B|

But i like riding up with tandems on board and seeing that there a sh*t load scareder then me! On one load we had about three tandems on board and this one girl let out the biggest bloodcurdling scream everytime someone exited . Its always good to have a laugh up there!

Ya, I was thinking that would be good to have tandems going out after me. Then I'd look so calm and cool compared the them. :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

I also feel a bit more relaxed on the climb if there are tandems on board... Instead of stressing over the exit I just look at the often paniced expressions on their faces and it just makes me feel better.

I guess I AM insensitive. :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Glad you had an excellent jump. Way to work through the fear. It's so great for me to be able to watch you go through this (Jeth and I work together). That way when it's my turn in March I'll have a leg up on things.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and loudly proclaiming, Wow…what a ride!

Wow, Jeth! I remember just in June when you and I were talking about our first jumps and here you are doing your solo ones!!! I was so glad to read that the second tandem was not as overwhelmong as the first, and you're completely psyched about jumping alone!

After I calmed down, I made a resolution to go back, which I plan on doing as soon as finances afford. Having jumped once was only a start - I thought it would be enough, but I know I absolutely, without question, have to go back.

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

freem

Hey there!
Ya, I just couldn't wait. ;) I was just thinking the other day how fast the summer has gone by since my first jump on June 6th. And actually, I wish I was jumping even more! But I can't break the bank paying for this and I've got other things going on, so I'm just jumping whenever I can.

Definitely go back and learn to fly solo, it's such an awesome feeling! Way better than tandem! It's tough, it takes a lot of inner courage and trust, but its totally worth it!! Good luck! Let me know when you make it back to jump again! :)

Wow, Jeth! I remember just in June when you and I were talking about our first jumps and here you are doing your solo ones!!! I was so glad to read that the second tandem was not as overwhelmong as the first, and you're completely psyched about jumping alone!

After I calmed down, I made a resolution to go back, which I plan on doing as soon as finances afford. Having jumped once was only a start - I thought it would be enough, but I know I absolutely, without question, have to go back.

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

freem

PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site