samyueru

Learning to pack

Hey -
Well..I finally got my new rig. Unfortunatly, I can't pack, so it's a pain every time I go to the DZ.
I've tried getting a packing class, but there never seem to be enough people to get one together for the packers.

Any advice on learning/convincing someone to help me? I really want to be "independant" so I can jump when I want, not when someone has time to pack my rig. Plus, boogie at pepperell at the end of the month so I really want to have it down by then.

-S

I got my A in Australia, and they didn't really teach it except for a couple walk throughs of side-packing...definately not enough to know how to do it on my own.

Been trying to set up for an evening pack class..that's the problem...haven't had luck!!

Any local jumpers living nearby ? Try luring one over to your house with "beer" and then do a couple packjobs in your yard. Just keep packing and unpacking the thing and by about the 6th packjob (and hopefully not your 6th beer, just yet), you should have it down enough to feel confident.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I got my A in Australia, and they didn't really teach it except for a couple walk throughs of side-packing...definately not enough to know how to do it on my own.

Been trying to set up for an evening pack class..that's the problem...haven't had luck!!

The question still stands....

A part of your A licence application is getting signed off by the CI as being able to pack a main for your own use...

oh well. Good luck in your search.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

The question still stands....

A part of your A licence application is getting signed off by the CI as being able to pack a main for your own use...

oh well. Good luck in your search.

I got my A recently and no one ever made me prove I can pack. Luckily, I can pack, but none of the people who did my A test knew that. I had instructors tell me its not really tested before they give you your A, even though the A card has it written on it. This guy learnt at a different dz to me, but I'd say that's the case for him too.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Learning how to pack was the worst. Didn't help that I'm real anal about those kinds of things. You should really get some help though, I'm sure you won't have problems. Make sure someone like an instructor gives you the o.k.

AND DON'T JUMP YOUR PACK JOB UNTILL THEN.
Good luck to you, see ya around. ED.;););)

In the UK, well, at least as far as my experience goes, you don't need to pack to get an A license. You need to get IC1 (Individual Canopy 1) to get a B License, and being checked off for packing is part of that.

What I did was watch the Pack Like a Pro video a million times, watch people packing a million times, practice at home a million times, then I paid a packer to watch me pack it myself in exchange for the packing fee (with three different packers), then I just got someone to sign me off.

Just don't be afraid to play with your own canpy at home, but clearly don't jump it without getting signed off.

My question would be, "How did you get your "A" license without learning how to pack?"

The packing requirement looks like something recent to me. In the old days, when parachutes wuz still carved out of wood, it was pretty well assumed you could pack because you learned how for your first freefall (jump #6 or thereabouts). Packers were the guys who stuffed the student S/L rigs for a buck apiece. If a "real" jumper had suggested someone pack for them, they'd have been run off the property with a pitchfork. But we live in a service economy now, so I guess you really have to prove you can pack, if only once in your life.

"Pack a jumper's rig, and they can jump today, teach them to pack and they can jump for life."

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !