pilotdave

Stupidest thing you've ever seen at WFFC (other than the mr bill landing)

The same year, they also had a small hot air balloon tethered to the ground that they were going to use for base jumps or something. Well, the winds weren't very calm that day, and the balloon's listing to one side and they were firing that burner at full blast, and caught the balloon fabric on fire, and I'm standing there watching pieces of it melt, and thinking, boy am I glad I'm not in that gondola!

How did that turn out? I would think it would come down pretty fast with a nice size hole in it.

Greenie in training.

The same year, they also had a small hot air balloon tethered to the ground that they were going to use for base jumps or something. Well, the winds weren't very calm that day, and the balloon's listing to one side and they were firing that burner at full blast, and caught the balloon fabric on fire, and I'm standing there watching pieces of it melt, and thinking, boy am I glad I'm not in that gondola!

How did that turn out? I would think it would come down pretty fast with a nice size hole in it.

They were trying to get high enough, but could not get anywhere near the altitude they wanted, and the burned hole aborted the attempt. They were lucky that the balloon came back down to a soft enough landing that nobody was hurt.

There's another incident I remember from that convention. My group was standing at the loading tent waiting for our plane, and we watched some of the jumpers land in and near the main LZ. I saw one guy land on the taxiway behind the DZ control tower, breaking his foot near clean off. I'm watching him laying on his back on the taxiway and he's holding up his leg with the foot hanging at a 90 degree angle, and he had ALL that empty flat grass to land on beyond the taxiway!! What an idiot... [:/]

The worst sight I ever saw was at the same convention where I watched Mike "Dead Mike" Vederman slam onto the runway after a canopy collision with Andy Anderson. To this day, the image of his bloodied and broken body on what looked like his last gasps, is ingrained in my memory. I still can't believe he survived. He actually died, but came back in the ambulance, startling the EMTs. I think his website is still up - www.deadmike.com.

It's really something...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

2. That girl who flew through that guy's canopy and split it in two at 800.' That was pretty stupid.

how'd she do that???

I believe that video is on one of the last Quincy videos. Basically it was a head on collision and the higher jumper tore thru the canopy on impact and briefly was tangled in it. As soon as they cleared the jumper with the torn canopy did some pretty quick handle pulling, had a short reserve ride, and slid in safely. I don't think they ever found who flew into him.

I was loading that plane!!! Scared the hell out of me when I saw all the black smoke pouring by the windows from the inside...

That guy owes Georgi Gelardi and the pilot his life. She grabed the edge of his canopy and ran the other way with it.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

That low canopy-jumper collision vid was great. I love that timely quote: "Mother". B|

Nice EPs that guy did. Funny how the voiceover says he struggles with his ripcord, after he pulled it probably 10 inches, surely the pin was out and deployment was beginning, and he was just working on the end. "30 seconds away from certain death." Hey, I'm less than 30 seconds away from sudden death almost every time I pull. ;)

What is a Mr Bill landing, have only heard it here
and not at the DZ????

Basically:
We exit the plane together (me hanging onto you with a death grip). Exit plane, you deploy immediately. If I hang on, great. If I don't...well, Ohhhhhh Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mr. Bill from the old Saturday Night Live.
-----
~~~Michael

actually, he said 3 seconds....

then again he said finley was uder 600 feet when he chopped.. even though finley said he was at 850 when he got hit

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time