quade

Sebastian / Airport Leasing Woes-- Press Clips

At the new drop zone, they can even put bleachers in if they want to," Milewski said.

Awesome. They're going to allow the dz to add more obstacles in what will already be the minimum size landing area USPA recommends for student operations... not to mention that it'll be surrounded by swamp and trees.

Sigh.

Awesome. They're going to allow the dz to add more obstacles in what will already be the minimum size landing area USPA recommends for student operations... not to mention that it'll be surrounded by swamp and trees.

Sigh.

Seriously! I've hung over that swamp, not sure if I'd get back. At least then the spectators will have a good view..completely unobstructed from the chain link fence. :S

And what is it with people who buy homes next to an airport and then complain about planes flying over their homes? I have never understood that one.

You would think that the city of Sebastian would be more willing to work with one of the industries that keeps people coming to that small city. Honestly, the inlet is nice, but what else would draw new people and a steady flow of money into it?
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

There is one bonus to the whole thing. The trees will be cut down and can anyone say.... swoop pond.

In reality the main draw back to the move is that they aren't going to build us new facilities. They'll give us some land but who has to pay to rebuild - the dropzone... or we have to keep our facilities where they are and bus people back and forth - which I've been to dz's that do that and it sucks.

This has been in the works for years but it is getting closer to becoming a reality. I watch each day as new hangers go up and construction moves closer and closer to our landing area. Pretty soon the switch will be made with the open runways. They are going to close the airport for a day or two in a week or the week after to pave those and close down 31 - 13 permanently.

Oh well, what's a little adversity...

That's pretty funny too - I hadn't seen the article, I love the way they misquote people all the time. Do you think it's on purpose?

In reality the main draw back to the move is that they aren't going to build us new facilities. They'll give us some land but who has to pay to rebuild - the dropzone... or we have to keep our facilities where they are and bus people back and forth - which I've been to dz's that do that and it sucks.

Yeah, kind of hard to do HAHO's or crew when there's a bus full of people waiting for you to get down to the ground.

Yeah, kind of hard to do HAHO's or crew when there's a bus full of people waiting for you to get down to the ground.

How far a distance are we talking about here?

One of the DZs I frequent has a LZ about 1.5 miles away from the hangar - it's not a big deal for the van to take off and then come back again.

(This is a one otter outfit)

How far a distance are we talking about here?

One of the DZs I frequent has a LZ about 1.5 miles away from the hangar - it's not a big deal for the van to take off and then come back again.

(This is a one otter outfit)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Vans are expensive.

I remember Don Balch complaining that he spent US$45,000 a year to transport jumpers back from his separate landing field - off the Hemet, California Airport.
That is the only DZ I have seen turn a profit with a split-DZ.
Mind you, Don ran a pretty tight ship.
His US$45,000 would have been far wiser spent on aircraft maintenance, or raises for instructors.

It isn't anything to get too flustered over yet. This thing has been in the works for years. It isn't going to shut down the dz. It may inconvenience us for a little while but it will work out in the end.

What would be really nice would be to just rebuild in the new area but who can afford that? New facilities would be so cool. Why didn't that damn hurricane come our way instead of taking down the awesome hanger in Lake Wales. It would of sucked for awhile but then we'd have to rebuild!

No real idea yet. It has been dragging on and on forever. They are doing a lot of work at the airport. We have our lovely anti-terrorist fence (that keeps us from swooping the golf course pond), they have built some new t-hangers and the runway/taxiway switch should happen within the next couple of weeks - which we may even have to close while they do that - so if you suddenly hear we are closed for a few days - it isn't permanent they are just switching over the runways.

There are some new negotiations being opened up between the dz owners and the town so things may be looking up.