fatflying

knee reconstruction anybody?

so here i am at 12 weeks after ACL, miniscuis, still can't jump I'm looking at 8+ more weeks. question is for you senior reconstructies what can I expect? Thought I was gonna be better then before, someting tells me not a chance. How did you do?as far as flying, landings etc, fact is now the thought of it is getting nerve racking. Thanks, Fattie.

I had my knee done in 93' from a skiing accedent. I was back on the slopes less then a year later. Skiing kicks the shit out of your a hell of a lot more then skydiving.

Words of advice. Work hard in therapy to get not only your strength but your flexability back. Range of motion will make or break your recovory and long term effects. When you do not have full range back it puts you in further risk of re-injuring. The road to ACL recovory is not fun, it is painful. Work thru it with your therapist. Trust me, in the long run it is worth it.

It has been 11 years since I had my knee done, i still do everything i did before, and my knee does on occasion have days where it hurts. I pop a couple iburpofen and it is all better. So I cant say 100% because of that, but it is damn close...like 99.9999999%. I jump with no brace, and actually the only thing I used a brace for is skiing the big stuff. I have played hockey, tumbled, skydive, rollerblade, run and a million other things, and dont use a brace, and dont have problems.

Good luck man!
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

so here i am at 12 weeks after ACL, miniscuis, still can't jump I'm looking at 8+ more weeks. question is for you senior reconstructies what can I expect? Thought I was gonna be better then before, someting tells me not a chance. How did you do?as far as flying, landings etc, fact is now the thought of it is getting nerve racking. Thanks, Fattie.

I totalled my motorcycle last year and every single ligament in my right knee. Most of my ligaments were ripped completely off the bone. I know what you are going through...it sucks!!

YOU HAVE TO STICK TO THE THERAPY. Trust me on that. I stopped to early and still cannot straighten my knee and lock it. Plus, my quads are no where near as strong as they should be...bust your ass as hard as you can in therapy and make sure you stick with it for the entire duration....It took me almost an entire year to really get back into jumping...be safe, and do it right...the sky isnt going anywhere.

no direct experience, but to add on to what people have said about PT - I'd continue with the exercises well after. Most of us have muscle inbalance around the knee and I think it makes us more vunerable to this injuries. Just running or just cycling is not good.

THANX FUNKS. yEA tthheeerrraaappyy! those people ought to be fined or put on probation, masakists. But I'm on it, 3 days a week. I have full motion, I just can't bend without my leg girating, it's a sight to see, cracks me up. my s&m therapist just gives me more new things to do. HERE TRY THIS:o>:([:|>:( STAIRS ARE THE ULTAMATE GOAL.THANKS AGAIN. FATONES

I'll have to echo what everyone has already said - 3 ACL reconstructions here.

Stick with your physical therapy exercises. You must do them at home, even after you "graduate" from PT. As everyone said this will give you flexibility and strength.

Mine are not 100% back to normal, but with continued effort my knees are much closer to normal than ever before! Due to multiple surgeries I take celebrex every day and that keeps me painfree.

Hang in there!

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

PT is key. I worked my arse off and it made a world of difference. I was able to get my physical therapy extended beyond what insurance was originally gonna pay. Check with your PT place and doc - hopefully they will do the same for you.

Its been 4 years since mine was done. Don't really think about it much. It does get sore from time to time but a few advil take care of that. I can do almost anything I did before - the only difference is that I can't do it everyday. Need to space out the real hardcore knee activities. Skydiving hasn't been an issue and snowboarding is fine if I don't do it more than 3 or 4 days in a row.

You should be ok - just do the PT.

I've had my ACL replaced a few years back.

My gut tells me I got the best surgeon available for the job, and a really great phisical therapist. After the therapy program ended, I continued the rehab in the gym. I was told I'd have to go to the gym kinda for the rest of my live to keep the leg muscles tight, so I go about 4-5 times per week. It took me about 8 months to start jumping again, but I was beeing extra cautious... I wear a brace while jumping, and I'm extra careful on landings: if there's even a small amount of croswind, I do a PLF. I've stopped playing basketball and skiing, but this choice was mine, not directed by the doctors. I have no problems while hiking (no brace)...

To sum it up: I'm happy and satisfied how it all turned out. I work out regularly, I'm careful on landings, and that's 'bout it.

Regards,
Huha (>o<-<

Got a horror story.

Had my ACL done. After 3 months it stopped getting better and after 6 months it started getting worse.
I had developed a mass in behind the new ligament. It was putting pushing it out until I couldn't straighten my leg. The only time I could walk normally was when my knee was as big as a football. When the swelling went down I had to use a cane.

I was a crippled. People starred 'cause I walked funny.

Had to wait a year for another surgury because Canadian has socialized healthcare. Everyone is entitled to the same shitty service.

I was fine after they removed the legion and half my cartilage.

It continued to bug me until I started going to the gym on a regular basis. Now it only hurts if it hyper extends.

The only advice I can give is that if it starts going south on you, don't become depressed like I did. Easier said than done.

Tim

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Knee reconstruction for ACL???
But why?? We do have 4 ligaments in each knee- I get along just fine....with only 3 in one knee--:P
The ACL snapped completely off bone.

The meniscus tears had to be repaired initially- then rehabilitation with therapy to make sure meniscus didn't tear any more causing knee to lock..., took almost 1 year, geeeeezes swelling/inflamation & pain... takes so long to heal but that is nature telling you "do not use it"

Ice/ elevation/ absolutely no use of knee in any way until swelling goes down. Use of crutches and a cane and braces until remaining ligaments are strong enough to support knee and be very patient--follow therapy exercises... as in the long run you will have 99.9% of full use.:PB|:P

Why reconstruct?????????:S---thought only proffesional hockey/football players/skaters went for that sort of repair.

SMiles;)

I was out of the loop for about a year & a half after a landing that went bad. My front ACL's in both knees were torn off & the 'medial strain & minuscus' (not a good translation, sorry) on my left knee were also injured.
Getting back to where I was hurt like hell but I would do it all over again. Nothing beats skydiving!!!

Greetz Q

"You don't need a parachute to jump but you do need one if you want to do it again."
You don't need a parachute to jump but YOU DO if want to do it again.

My front ACL's in both knees

Er there is no "front acl". You have an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) a PCL (posterior), two on the sides are Lateral and Medial.

The Knee
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

About 4yrs. ago, I had knee surgery. Torn miniscus and torn ACL, from a 'wreck'. I guess, I had a dang good surgeon or something.! Never took a pain pill. I was home, about an hour after surgery and limped out to the mailbox, that day. Just about went nuts, thinking about staying in one place. Kept limping around for about a week. Started therapy and was told to go home after about a week and a half. Six weeks after surgery, started jumping again. My doctor told me that what probably helped me more, was getting-up and moving around. I am not going to sit here and say that that would work for everyone, it just happened to work for me. :S

Chuck

Hey Fattie!

I had my ACL & meniscus done in 2000. Accident date: 2/19 and returned to the sky 7/28...and didn't miss Bridge Day...always a priority! Do your rehab, wear your brace and jump a big, fat canopy for a while...softer landings! To date, no problems, fully recovered and feel great after waiting until I was released by my doc.

Good luck in your recovery and don't be discouraged...take the time to heal to 100% and you'll be glad for it later!

Blue skies,
Kaye

Think everyone will probably tell you different stories so hard to guage what to expect I guess!

I had my right knee ACL removed and was walking and fine within days... I know that reconstruction is harder tho...

Alot depends on how lucky you are with your others and quads I have been told...

Lifes fine for me without! (although I am careful around playing soccer!)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

I wantto thank all of you there so many different ways to look at this. It's unbelievable how quick som of you recovered, me I'm the king of discipline If i'm not working hard at anything it's not fun, My brain is confused, I'm gonna have to have a talk with it. Off to tortureapy.:D:D:D:D:D

But thanks so much for the responces. FatOnes.