freakflyer9999

Anvils Unite

Well, sorry about that, I wasn't really trying to "put words in Scott's mouth" I know Scott as well (and Wayne), that's why I said "don't be surprised" not saying that he would.

I agree, EF is a great DZ, that's where I started and I still have a lot of great friends there. Dennis was my first JM, Wayne, Doc, Angie all worked with me as well (Kim would just give me shit...much deserved too:P). It always feels like I'm coming home when I get a chance to go visit.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This thread changed from a guy complaining about being charged for his weight (which I think is not fair, no matter what economics you argue)

We talk a good line about personal responcibility but in this case someone being asked to pay for what they use (jump slots/useful load) is complaining and people are siding with him? I understand his position but isn't there some concept here of paying for what you use? To those who attacked him personally grow up, talk about the issue or go somewhere else

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Yea, I've tried Skydive Dallas. They don't charge a "Fat Fee", but the DZ manager did hassle me about my weight enough that I chose to jump other places. When I was trying to get recurrent this summer after a long layoff, Skydive Dallas once again gave me a hassle about my weight and caused me to look elsewhere for a home DZ.

Sorry, I am not buying this at all. Skydive Dallas has been nothing but gracious to me and my fellow Anvils; some of whom are larger than you. Everyone on the staff there has always welcomed me with open arms. 15 yard penalty for...
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Sorry, I am not buying this at all. Skydive Dallas has been nothing but gracious to me and my fellow Anvils; some of whom are larger than you. Everyone on the staff there has always welcomed me with open arms. 15 yard penalty for...

Agreed, Keith. I've never gotten any grief from anyone any time I've been there, and I'm a bowling ball with a 265# exit weight. :ph34r:
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Skydive Dallas has some very strict safety guidelines that they follow as it relates to their gear. Of course that is certainly the best approach. I didn't mean to infer that they wouldn't allow heavier jumpers and apologize for inferring that. This enforcement of their safety policies combined with their distance caused me to look elsewhere. Their lack of gear safe gear for my weight (which they explained at time) was their only issue. I ended up borrowing a MT-1XX rig from a Skydive Dallas jumper. This jumper routinely jumps the gear at Skydive Dallas and I know of no reason they would have refused me the same opportunity.
I now have my own gear and I'm sure that Skydive Dallas would be able to accomodate me.

Ahhh.....that's probably where the confusion came in.

Yeah, SDD is pretty picky about loaning out their student gear, so in that instance I can see them being cautious. :)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I haven't read all the responses completely.....but will say i went thru all kinds of crap about jumping a MT1-XX because it has no TSO. I know....the TSO is crap with the military gear, but many dropzones dont realize the Mil-spec stuff is tested to higher standards. I feel your pain but then again I have never been to a Cessna DZ so it hasn't really effected me.....YET[:/]
"GOT LEAD?"

I did my tandem (and first ever skydive) at this year's Boogie on the Brazos. I had the time of my life, man - after I got over the fact I was trusting my life to a guy with a monkey on his head.

Not indicative, I promise. Good bunch of folks.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

He is an excellent tandem master and I'm glad you had a good time!!

Yeah, definitely. As he put it, it was "the most fun you ever had strapped to a man.":D

The dancing monkey was hilarious on the video.

Best way to do a tandem, too - pay a Cessna DZ price jumping out of a CASA.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry