dz-dog

Skydiving-the last 10 years

> Won't be more pressure than your body weight.

Pressure created force equal to you body weight would be what you have at terminal velocity. You need more pressure (pressure necessary to integrate to a force greater) than your bodyweight to decelerate. (to land it)

So when he said it took a ton of pressure to 'actually slow yourself down that much' is entirely dependent on how long you need to 'slow down that much'.

But I think Jskydiver22 was more accurate in thought than you were -- this time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>You need more pressure (pressure necessary to integrate to a force
>greater) than your bodyweight to decelerate. (to land it)

Right, but that pressure is very slightly more than the pressure you need to fly it on the approach glideslope. It's like landing in any other airplane; you don't pull 3G's during the flare. It's barely more than 1G. In my case, we'd be talking about supporting 180lbs during the glide and supporting 200lbs during the flare.

I wonder what the next ten years has in store for this sport?

Wingsuits.

t

Excuse the stupid less than one year in this sport newbie question. But do you think someone will land a wingsuit in the near future? If so then is that the way this sport is heading, i.e., landing w/o a canopy.

I'm sure someone will land a wingsuit in the very near future.

Landing a wingsuit is no big deal. The trick is surviving it.

Blue skies,

Winsor

THe thing that I find funny is that none of this is really new (freeflying) I have seen pictures of guys going head down in the 70's. I have seen people turn point on there backs in the 70's and 80's. I have seen people sit since the 70's. So is freeflying really new? Or is it retro?

I of course admit that they weren't doing all the stuff they can do now, but I don't consider Freeflying new at all. It has been around for a long time. More refined now, but not really new.

Autmonauti, now that is new! Gotta try that soon.
Dom

> but i think the idea was blown apart when they kinda figured out that to
> be able to actually slow yourself down that much there would be a ton of
>pressure.

Won't be more pressure than your body weight. Most people can support their body weight with their arms; the trick is just designing the suit so you can use the right muscles to do it.

>The problem with that is that they said it would be enough to rip a
>persons chest in two.

Ha! You can do a pushup, and it doesn't rip your chest in two - even though you are supporting most of your body weight on your arms.

Thanks Bill. I didn't want to touch that one. Although it may be better for awhile if people believed that.
Dom

didnt realise....details..?

I have heard of some coming close.....a la buzzing ski pistes...but not heard of anyone actually using a suit in substitute of a parachute and making a 'planned' successful landing.

Would like more details if you have 'em

#67 Kirill Kiselev, September, 2002
#68 Rob Tompkins, September 12, 2002
#69 Lukas Knutsson, October 11, 2002
#75 Gabi Dematte, August 13, 2003
#80 Jeff Barker, July 5, 2004
#81 Duane Thomas, August 21, 2004

And Dwain Weston, October 7, 2003. I'm sure landing on a bridge railing counts in your book.

And the "guy with lines wrapped around his feet ", from skydivingfatalities.info.

There was a BASE jumper in Russia that "landed" a suit a year or two ago. Basically lost altitude awareness and impacted just as the canopy was getting to line strech. Totally fucked him up, be he lived.

Jari in his Skyflyer or Skyflyer3 took an ankle dock on Valdi flying his Velocity 79 canopy. Valdi loaded the canopy up a lot and put trim tabs on the canopy so that it would hold itsself in a dive automatically. Basically the trick they figured out was to have Valdi in a turning dive and let Jari come in and match the turn rate, the dive was the key since otherwise the glide slopes don't match up.

Manbird on here has done some flight near canopies and I heard out at Perris they did a 5 canopy, 4 BM formation at some time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com