justchrisdsp

what is jumping to you

my grandmother always asks me why i jump, i always give her the "cause the door was open", she likes to ask if im trying to defy gravity. to me jumping is more of a submission, i am saying that gravity is in control, something else is in control of my life and all i can do is flow with it. we were sitting around at the dz today cause of rain and one of our beautiful skychicks (you know who you are) said the perfect thing, "skydivers are the most zen people in the world" i had never really thought of it that way but that is exactly how i feel, i feel like i have turned my life over to something more grand and all i have to do is flow with it.
on to the question, what is skydiving to you, is it just an adrenaline rush or do you do it for something more, also have you noticed any changes in your attitude towards life because of jumping, positive or negative?

The only bad skydive is your last!
chris

chris "sonic wookie" harwell
Piedra-belluda-roja Rodriguez

Skydiving is standing between everything and nothing. The world is laid out before you with nothing in the way. Everything is possible, yet so easily it could slip away. To me it is truly living in the moment. In those moments between heaven and earth there is no good or bad, there just simply is. Control is an illusion. In life we are really just a long for the ride occasionally choosing doors.

It is hard to explain in words what skydiving is to me. Every so often I have to do a sunset solo jump just to stand and watch the world, literally. That jump is what it is all about for me.

i think it is going a bit o.t.t. saying skydivers are the most zen people in the world i'm sure ive been told that from a stoner snowboarder too, c'mon you were 'irie mon' werent you!
skydivng was initialy a fun career option 4 me and has become a passion along the way! skydiving loses it's adrenilin action after 50 jumps if you ask me well you still do get your hits (especially deployment ) sometimesi think it's all about achieving what you planned thats my drawcard!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

The clarity of response that I receive while skydiving offers fast and direct feedback like nothing else I have experienced.

There is no sense of myself, but merging of action and awareness when I am in freefall. When my action and reaction became so well practised it was automatic/ I was able to leave the aircraft and fly....without thought of my body position....is when I felt the sense of ecstasy associated with the most intense moments of flow.... :P:P:P

What is jumping to me?.... The most intense moments of flow.

SMiles;)

Skydiving is me, I can't imagine my life with out jumping. Its my relaxation, my spiritual connection, my way to disconnect from the world.

Being an skydiving instructor gives me satisfaction and joy on a level I can't express. Taking a fresh whuffo and giving them their first taste of freefall and canopy flight is an honor.

Freeflying is a freedom to defy what the air is trying to tell me I can't do.

Swooping is my rush, my drug, my attempt to quench a thurst for speed. The visual of the ground turning and rushing up at me as I dive out of the sky is like nothing I've ever experienced. To scream across the ground, inches above the grass, laying over in a carve and setting it all back down for a nice smooth landing is the coolest thing I've ever done.

The only thing that has even remotely come close to any of this is the freedom of riding a motorcycle...but even that only comes kind of close to skydiving.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

. Control is an illusion. In life we are really just a long for the ride occasionally choosing doors.

that is exactly what i was saying, and you were talking about your solo jump, i did a solo night jump last week, flipped over on my back and looked up, i have never seen a more beautiful sky in my life, it looked like a million diamonds sparkling, awesome, i guess it is ludicrous to ask people what skydiving is to them because it is so hard to explain to someone else, it is uniquely personal to everyone. oh well
chris

chris "sonic wookie" harwell
Piedra-belluda-roja Rodriguez

To me, jumping is the feeling of perfect freedom. Getting out the door and having a minute of complete 3-dimensional freedom. It's confronting fear and defying it, facing certain death and saving my life, of sitting under canopy and watching a busy world rush around beneath me, of flying through cloud and appreciating the beauty of the earth and sky.

on to the question, what is skydiving to you, is it just an adrenaline rush or do you do it for something more, also have you noticed any changes in your attitude towards life because of jumping, positive or negative?

I skydive right now because of the rush, the feeling of freedom in the sky, and the challenge of learning so many new skills. I also have a great time jumping with all my new friends.

It's been positive that skydiving has given me more confidence in other areas of my life. For example, when I'd be up to bat in softball I'd get really nervous. Now I just tell myself, come on, you jump out of planes, just relax and hit. Same thing goes for stressful situations at work.

My relationships with friends and family have improved. I've tried to really be in the moment with whuffo friends and family because all I think about now is skydiving and all I want to do is skydive. So I when I spend time with them I really give it my all.

Only negative change is my usual frugal self spends every penny on more jumping! :)

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

skydiving loses it's adrenilin action after 50 jumps!

You must be one cool dude, no adrenalin.

Try wearing one of those new wrist pulse meters,

Mine on the ride up to alt. reads 70-90bpm depending on the jump factor or if there is turbulance.
When the jump run starts an the door opens it shoots up to 120-130bpm thats adrenalin.

It's the adrenalin that makes your 40,50 or 60 seconds (depending on disipline) seem longer.
It's the adrenalin that speeds up your reaction time to a mal.

Oh an jumping to me is my way of dealing with day to day stress, also it sorts out my back problem

Gone fishing

Skydiving to me is life, its coasting in on a sunset admiring the beauty of the world, it is appreciating life for everything it has to offer.

It changed me 200%, I can barely remember the person I was before I started jumping, now I am outgoing, full of life, graspng everyday as a new adventure and living life to the fullest, and eagerly awaiting for the weekend so I can go and be one with the sky againB|

skydiving loses it's adrenilin action after 50 jumps!

You must be one cool dude, no adrenalin.

I think what he means is that you do not notice it anymore. Whuffos are always saying to me "That's got to be a rush!" Not really, I don't even notice the adreniline high until I am on the ground.

For me, skydiving has always been an intensely personal quest to overcome my limitations.

I was going blind when I entered the sport, and to me it was a chance to do something that the vast majority of people never do at a time when people were telling me I could no longer do things that the vast majority of things that people do everyday.

Don't get me wrong, I like meeting other jumpers, doing formations and, now that I have my transplants, enjoying the view. Those things are all nice, but what keeps me coming back are the times when I achieve something that I had been struggling with and the knowledge that if I look hard enough I will always find something else in this sport that will challenge me.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."