bigbearfng

Would you tip the badspot driver for recovered main?

I figure that if I have to chop and the main goes drifting away; the badspot driver is saving me quite a bit of money to follow and recover it! So personally I'd heavily tip.
But I've recently seen that this doesn't seem to be the trend. (Even when the badspot spent more than an hour and used an ultralight to find it after it really blew in high winds.)
Thoughts?

At the smaller DZs we don't have a "bad spot driver" we have folks in the "DZ family" that takes care of their own. That family includes folks who are at the DZ for the very first time.

I've bumped off of loads to go chase down off jumpers and more then a few times I've beaten a canopy/freebag to the ground for a cutaway. Others have done the same thing.

Hell, at the AOTMB when I had cutaway, folks that don't even normally jump at Aggieland spent their time to go find the canopy and freebag so we could get the tandem rig put back together. Why? Because skydivers take care of their own.

I would do the same for them and expect nothing in return.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Could you be more specific? ... A bad spot driver as far as i can figure is that guy that comes and scoops ya up if you land off.......something anyone do for a friend?

A badspot driver is hired by a DZ (usually at minimum wage!). The driver watches loads for openings, if a cutaway, checks that the jumper has a good reserve, if it looks like anyone has a hard landing renders first aid and notifies manifest to call 911, follows down the free bag and reserve and recovers it after a chop, and drives out to pick up jumpers that land out. Along with etc. etc.
After working as a volunteer at nationals I have a lot more respect and appreciation for Badspots and Manifest!!!!!!!

I figure that if I have to chop and the main goes drifting away; the badspot driver is saving me quite a bit of money to follow and recover it! So personally I'd heavily tip.
But I've recently seen that this doesn't seem to be the trend. (Even when the badspot spent more than an hour and used an ultralight to find it after it really blew in high winds.)
Thoughts?

If I cut and some guy spent an hour trying to find my main which would cost a good chunk of $$$ to replace, you bet your ass a tip would be waiting for him when he got back!

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Proably not. Depends. If they climbed a tree, or searched for a long time, I'd certain return the favor somehow.

I chased someone's chopped main on a big way, landed in a slight downwind to keep an eye on it, walked a ways to get it, walked a long way after getting it (with all my gear) on a hot day. All I got was a thank you, from someone I barely knew, which was fine. A pack job would have been nice, though, as I was tired and rushed for the next load.

When someone I barely knew at my home DZ couldn't find his chopped main, I took him up in the airplane I rent by the minute. He did offer to cover the cost. We found it, which was reward enough for me, no payment required.

I've only recently joined this forum and have only been on the skydiving scene for a couple of weeks.

This is the second post I've seen about tipping people at the drop zone in this short time (the first was about tipping your instructors). It all seems rather silly to me. I know that there are people there to make a living, but isn't the main idea to have fun? A tip is a financial reward. It's tangible, measurable, it says "What you did is worth this much." Surely a returned favour or a friendly smile, a pat on the back and a beer says much more than just giving someone money.

Does everything have to revolve around money?
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever give up! (Winston Churchill)

Hell no!

There are plenty of DZs out there that are more like a family and isn't fully centered around money. Of course the DZ is there to make money and the full time instructors need to make money, but the DZ attitude as a whole is about skydiving and not about squeezing every last buck out of folks.

I would MUCH rather someone took that money and bought some beer for the DZ if I bring back their canopy. If its a student jumper, I'd rather seem them save it or put it on their account for their next jump.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Could you be more specific? ... A bad spot driver as far as i can figure is that guy that comes and scoops ya up if you land off.......something anyone do for a friend?

A badspot driver is hired by a DZ (usually at minimum wage!). The driver watches loads for openings, if a cutaway, checks that the jumper has a good reserve, if it looks like anyone has a hard landing renders first aid and notifies manifest to call 911, follows down the free bag and reserve and recovers it after a chop, and drives out to pick up jumpers that land out. Along with etc. etc.
After working as a volunteer at nationals I have a lot more respect and appreciation for Badspots and Manifest!!!!!!!

Ok gotcha , I started at a smaller DZ and basically anyone that saw some landing off or that had a cutaway would be anyone and everyone that saw it happen. But in line with thread, if such a person was hired by a DZ and they did in fact help me out in such a situation I'd definetly give them some cash money for being there.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

"Of course the DZ is there to make money"

Not to divert the thread, but a DZ is NOT there to make money! Any DZO who is surviving has to be a competent businessman/woman, who would make a heck of a lot MORE money in ANY other field. At some DZ's, owners could sell the land and the planes and retire to the Bahamas, to jump and enjoy life without all the hassles. They choose not to. DZO's choose to operate a non-profit operation because of their love of the sport and the people they serve/jump with/party with. DZ's COST money, LOTS of it!

Back on thread, if someone rescues your $3000 canopy from the wilderness you own them some tangable thanks for saving YOU lots of money. A tip and/or beer and/or maybe a bottle of their favorite beverage all are in line for someone who just made sure that you don't have to spend a month's pay on another main.
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

So do you think it's fun trudging through waist deep swamp, or thick briars to help someone else find his main? Not my idea of a great weekend.

I only made one jump last weekend because I spent the rest of the time doing just this. I have done it more than once. Did I expect anything (except a couple of cold beers) no. But it was a friend and he was going to be out over $2000. (risers $100, Main $1900, D-bag $50, PC $85, Res-PC $110, Freebag-$80) Like one post said, for me, just knowing he got his stuff back is reward enough.

But I guarantee when you chop YOUR (not a rental) main, and you think you've lost it, and someone spends the entire day looking for it, you'll want to give them a tip. When you're sitting in the woods, thinking how long it will be until you can afford to buy new gear and jump again, and that person comes up w/ your canopy, you'll want to do something in return.

Tips are just that, a tip not a fee. It's optional, but a nice gesture when he's saved you some major money. Just as when you give a higher tip to a waitress/waiter for really good service, it's not about the money, but it's a way of showing appreciation.

Just my .02

DZO's choose to operate a non-profit operation because of their love of the sport and the people they serve/jump with/party with.

LOL, yes DZO's do it for the love of it but most are also trying to make money....at something they love
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I've only recently joined this forum and have only been on the skydiving scene for a couple of weeks.

This is the second post I've seen about tipping people at the drop zone in this short time (the first was about tipping your instructors). It all seems rather silly to me. I know that there are people there to make a living, but isn't the main idea to have fun? A tip is a financial reward. It's tangible, measurable, it says "What you did is worth this much." Surely a returned favour or a friendly smile, a pat on the back and a beer says much more than just giving someone money.

Well said! It's getting harder to walk through some DZ's without the expectation of tipping than running a gauntlet of the homeless. Many places are already gouging the tourist for top dollar. The USPA invents a rating primarily to get more money and now the tip thing is everywhere.

Michael

Never underestimate the power of greedy people in large numbers.

"LOL, yes DZO's do it for the love of it but most are also trying to make money...."

Most DZO's work a day job or have other sources of income to make ends meet. If they are trying to "make" money, it is trying to make a living wage. Most jumpers have absolutely no idea what it costs to put a plane load of jumpers into the air, or pay rent, utilities, etc.
As to the gentleman talking about tipping being pervasive where he goes, maybe that is something in Europe and Africa. As far as I have seen, tipping is all but non-existent in the DZ's I have worked at.
Back to the thread, if you don't feel obligated to thank someone properly for spending hours recovering your $3000 canopy, then don't. That person will probably go out after canopys again, including yours. They do it for the love.
If you are complaining about the bottle or the COB you should pay, perhaps it is you who are the money person.

Of the DZO's I have worked for:

DZO#1 - Owned the land and the planes. Made a subsistence existence, but the airport/DZ was his living.

DZO#2 - Retired Navy.

DZO#3 - M/F couple. Both ran gear shop, which had internet sales adn outside contracts. Wife had outside job, ran operation and taught skydiving on weekends.

DZO#4 - Owns numerous other small businesses, which he runs. Wife is business executive.

Won't get into DZO's who I have no direct contact with. 3 out of 4 = most.

The tip thing is everywhere?

At all the dropzones I've been too tipping has never been asked for or expected.

However, from what I've seen a lot of it goes on primarily with the jumpers who have been in the sport for a number of years and people like the badspot driver, manifest, or others who by doing their job well have made our experiences either.

And you seem to have your head wrapped around money. A tip can be so much more - bringing the badspot driver a gatorade or something during one of the hot summer days he's spending driving around a dusty landing area or a beer after the jumping day is over.

And hell, you better believe if anyone chases down and recovers my main, or saves my life (rigger), that they are going to get something nice.

Not because they are expecting it, but because it's one of the ways I can express my appreciation.

We (netheravon, uk) don't have a bad spot driver as such. If somebody lands very off, then DZ control will ask (read "yell at") one of the staff to drive the land rover over to them.

If it was just a drive over and a drive back with you on board, then I wouldn't give them anything. After all it is just a 3 minute drive that they are being paid for.

If somebody (dz staff or not) recovered my main, freebag or anything than I would buy them a beer and make sure they realised I appreciated what they had done. I wouldn't see any need to tip them though, and I don't think they would expect a tip.

We (netheravon, uk) don't have a bad spot driver as such. If somebody lands very off, then DZ control will ask (read "yell at") one of the staff to drive the land rover over to them.

If it was just a drive over and a drive back with you on board, then I wouldn't give them anything. After all it is just a 3 minute drive that they are being paid for.

If somebody (dz staff or not) recovered my main, freebag or anything than I would buy them a beer and make sure they realised I appreciated what they had done. I wouldn't see any need to tip them though, and I don't think they would expect a tip.

Good for you, good for them!

Michael

"Of course the DZ is there to make money"

Not to divert the thread, but a DZ is NOT there to make money! Any DZO who is surviving has to be a competent businessman/woman, who would make a heck of a lot MORE money in ANY other field. At some DZ's, owners could sell the land and the planes and retire to the Bahamas, to jump and enjoy life without all the hassles. They choose not to. DZO's choose to operate a non-profit operation because of their love of the sport and the people they serve/jump with/party with. DZ's COST money, LOTS of it!

Umm maybe not in the places you jump, but in the places I jump the DZOs make a pretty good living. One DZ pays a nominal price to lease the land (which is cattle grazing, the cows are not there in the day), he runs 2 182s and a Piper Navajo, he makes a friggin killing. Theres no clean running water, no heating, minimal lighting, the hanger is the packing shed, no cafe or kiosk, the only overheads he has is a shop front in the city and the cost of running the planes, rumour has it he is also not insured. rarely does the plane go up without at least one tandem and fun jumpers slot fill a lot of the time. He is running Handicam whenever possible and still charging outside camera prices for it.
This guy makes a FORTUNE.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?