AggieDave

Winter Time jumping

1. Pull, you'll just be up there longer (see hypothermia)
2. Flip on your back and watch your altimeter unwind to your comfort level ( I'd bring it down to 2300 with my monarch and 2600 on my xfire), pull and cover my face with my gloved left hand.

1. Remember that pulling high can be dangerous. Are there groups behind you? Does the pilots know you're pulling high? etc...

2. Don't flip over on your back. That way you'll expose your rigg to all the rain. It will get much wetter, so you might need a repack.

---
Rain and ice ain't that painful, whimps!
:P
---

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

1. Remember that pulling high can be dangerous. Are there groups behind you? Does the pilots know you're pulling high? etc...

2. Don't flip over on your back. That way you'll expose your rigg to all the rain. It will get much wetter, so you might need a repack.

---
---

1. Sorry I didn't clarify, when its cold and rainy there are few jumpers at the dropzone and even fewer jumping. getting two 182 loads can be challenging. So there was never a lot of people in the sky anyways. And for the pilots knowing we were going to pull high or not, well we would have to be high first. Typical exit altitude was in the range of 2000 to 4500,6K grand would be a lotto winner. i meant pulling at like 4 grand being 'high'.:P

2. THe water issue makes sense. for 15 to 30 seconds of high impact rain I never considered it worth the repack. only if i really got soaked on landing. which can happen in a 4 month rain soaked field. :)
nic

We opened a web site for those who like to jump in the winter: The Order of the flying Polar Bears.

To become a member, a jumper must have done a jump, where the temperature on the ground was 0 Fahrenheit OR below (-15c), and the jump must have been witnessed by a fellow jumper.

http://oopv.free.fr/

Now that's winter jumping ! :P

;)

Yves.

---
---

Sounds like you haven't experienced a jump in shorts and a t-shirt getting caught off-guard by a sudden rain while setting up your exit on the strut of a C182! I was getting ready for exit at 4000 ft just under a gray cloud with shorts and shirt on, and then the rain slams me in the back. I yelp and fall off... then I'm in freefall getting blasted by the pointy ends of all the raindrops at terminal velocity! Believe me, that HURTS!

When I landed and ran back into the hanger and then took off my wet t-shirt, everybody stopped what they were doing and gaped at me... I wondered what the hell they were looking at until I took a look myself. There were dime-sized red welts all over my chest and arms! :S

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I use an openfaced helmet, so jumping in sleet or rain can really hurt even with my jumpsuit on.

I find that I can, in fact, fly with my legs, with my hands mostly being used to cover my neck and the bottom half of my face :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

brrrrrrrrrrrrr, thanks for all the advice for safe winter jumping Dave! I'll be in up north for Christmas for 3 weeks after finals, and I am definitely gonna try and get some jumps in to stay current. I'll keep it all mind when I leave....
thanks!

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

'Course you can always jump nekkid !! :P

Let it all hang out !!
ThreeKnees

I saw someone jump in just shorts and shoes around Christmas time here in Chicago a couple years back. Yup, he did it on a dare. I didn't realize you skin could get that red!

Certainly, silly is the word that comes to mind when I hear of someone jumping like that in the winter. Just like the time I was at The Ranch in 2000 and this Russian guy was swimming in the 40 degree pond as our load was leaving.

You can get thin fabric gloves at Wal-Mart or elsewhere that fit under a pair of summer gloves. They seem to breath better than surgical gloves and keep me warmer in winter. They also allow enough feel to pull and handle the brakes and risers. However, for some of the newer Parasport helmets it is hard to push the button to open the face cover because you can't push the button all the way to open it.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143