Zep

Your hairy moments in the air

Geezus! This is freaking me out just hearing about it!! :o I can't imagine what a horrible feeling that would be to be hanging there and realize that the pilot doesn't see you and is about to take the plane down. Aaaaah!! I'm so glad to hear you finally got yourself free. So that was after he had closed the door and started the descent? Geez...[:/]

Doing a 4 way out of a Cessna 182 a while back - I was in the door, with my foot on the step. At launch time, I gave a hearty leap back only to see my mates all go by me. Turned out the corner of the step had wedged between the edge on the bottom of my bootie and my foot. I was hanging from the step like a foxtail on an antenna. Possibly the loneliest sight I ever saw was the pilot reaching over to close the door and realizing he hadn't noticed me hanging out there. Knew there was no way I was pulling myself up to free my foot, so started to wrench vigorously from side to side in an attempt to rip the bootie off or something. At about 6000, I finally did just that and the whole situation ended well.

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I know someone who had his booty catch on the step. He hung from the step until an instructor who happened to be on the load grabbed a hook knife and kept sawing until part of the knife handle broke. He was able to recover and complete the sawing process until the jump suit came free and the jumper descended normally.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Yeah, we jumped (or were supposed to) at about 12,000 and he reached over to close the door pretty quickly. Funny thing was that rather than freak out, I found myself in a pretty calm but focused place, determined to figure a way out of the situation. I realized right off that although this was a very small drop zone, if I wasn’t off by the time he got close to the DZ, they would either have noticed me on the ground and radioed him, or one of the people I was jumping with (one of whom was the S&TA) would have hurried down to alert them to the situation which would have at least bought me some more time to work on tearing away. Unfortunately I didn’t jump with a knife at the time and I realized pretty soon that ripping the boot was the only way. I had even resigned myself to the fact that it was probably going to do some damage to my foot, though that turned out to be minimal. Seemed like a lifetime that I was in the situation but like I said in the original posting, was off by 6ooo.

When I was a student under a PC, I had a floating rip-cord handle. I kept thinking I'd find it the next try. I kept trying and trying, till my audible went off in my ear. My reserve was a front mount, so rather then rolling over to my back to fire the reserve, I went straight for the reserve handle while still falling face to earth. The old style hooks, can't remember what they were called, that are used to hook the reserve to the main lift web, twisted with such force when the reserve fired, that it came un-clipped. Thank God for cross connectors on the reserve risers. That and landing when I was under the reserve rather then in the up or down swing of the reserve.

QAC Snaps, not everyone was as lucky as you with those things!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I have two that were kinda scary.

1. Deploying my canopy on a tandem video and having a spinning mal (line twists on a stel 135). Got rolled to my back, went to cut away, wings from the wing jacket covering my handles. I didn't notice till I had already "cracked" the cut away handle loose.

2. On an AFF level 1 jump (as vidiot) I had both jump masters track underneath me and deploy while I was filming the students opening...

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the beer!!

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

my 12th jump,
last solo to get off student status
i jumped out of a 182, was stable, then flipped on my back spinning and on my side spinning
pulled on my back and the canopy opened thru my legs, lines burned my jump suit in half and blew up in my face
knocked me out for a little bit then and when i got conscience again i came to find my leg straps were half way down my thighs
a little scary thinking i might fall out:S

JM has it all on video and it's been on a commercial here in athens (oh) a few times
everyone thought i broke my neckB|

another jump.. not so bad but my first off SS..
after i pulled my steering toggles fell onto my shoulders! not that big of a deal but being very new at the sport i was scared shitless. luckily i grabbed the lines before they flew up thru the grommet
sure was a bitch to steer

~boogie ho!!
pull before impact!
L.A.S.T#14, PMS #309, Ci EL O DI O SA

Last Sat in Perris during CRW nationals rotation round #7: I was #3 out and was completely cocooned by #4. My left leg was entangled in a cascade, both arms were all but immobilized (think straight jacket), and I could barely see. As if that wasn't enough, I couldn't reach my hook knives or handles, and my left 3-ring was fouled by canopy fabric and wouldn't have released.

Fortunately, I had a good canopy and two other jumpers docked above me. I spent 7000' feet trying to control the loose fabric and sweating bullets as to what would happen if it caught air and downplaned. My teammates flew me to the grass and dropped me at about 20 feet. Almost stood it up (I could barely reach the brakes and the winds were good) but tripped over the wrapped canopy and face planted right in front of the accuracy pit.

Bob