shorehambeach

Centrifugal forces on skydivers during plane spin/stall

I had the noob attitude that - if the plane had an emergency - we'd basically open the door and exit.

After the tragic events in Belgium I forgot about centrifugal forces :( caused by a spin.... I thought i'd post these two clips for my fellow noobs who (like me) didn't think about the washing machine effect...

Centrifugal force on skydivers force shown during this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdYBIt51rgM

And this longer clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tgZVoZc7g

Stay safe. BSBD

The first one is a lot more scary than the second, pinned to the roof is not somewhere i want to find myself

In the case of a wing braking off though I think you have little chance if the wing that comes off. it may be possible depending on which wing and the aircraft in question

DHemer

In the case of a wing braking off though I think you have little chance if the wing that comes off. it may be possible depending on which wing and the aircraft in question

It always depends on the individual circumstances..

Sitting next to the door, know how to operate that in emergencies and be quick on reaction is for sure not a bad plan...

If not able to sit next to the door, think about that the persons in front of you should know how to react...
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

WTF idiot plays with their reserve handle in the door of the aircraft in the second video. B|

Funny part of the second video is guy taping pilot on the shoulder during the spin. What do you reckon he wants to know - 'hey mate can we get out?' or 'hey are you going to take us back up to jump altitude?'

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Scary stuff! I used to fly gliders before I started skydiving and most of them are so easy to get out of a spin that all students get to practice provoking a spin, go round a couple of turns and then get out of the spin, as part of their training. Takes 5-10 seconds max to get out of, even if you allow it to develop fully (on modern, easy to fly planes that it is). I assumed that the planes we jump from were almost as forgiving, but I was apparently very wrong on that.

Be safe, do what the pilot tells you to, don't all run towards the door at once. Remember to tell the pilot in advance if you are one very big group exiting together.

Hi beach,

we'd basically open the door and exit

Since I knew some of them, I talked with a few of the survivors of this crash:

http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR84-06.pdf

One guy said that as he sat there looking at the open door he could not even lift an arm. The next thing he knew he was out of the aircraft in freefall; he had done nothing to exit the aircraft.

I had a real good friend back in the '60's who was in a violent stall of a Cessna 170 jump plane. He said that he was pinned to the ceiling of the aircraft and could not move anything.

Lots of forces interacting to cause all sorts of strange events.

B|

JerryBaumchen

some years down the road, I think it was after the Lillo crash, I gave the scenario of emergency exits a deeper thought. my conclusion was: if there was a problem causing the plane the get into any sort of G-inducing maneuver, opening a door would become impossible – no matter what door I was thinking of. fabric roll door? lexan slide door (along the roof like often seen in caravans)? metal sliding doors like the LET's have them? push out doors like in smaller Cessnas? the ramp door of skyvans? all appeared - and I think in fact are - inoperable once you have to fight additional weight built up by g-forces... :| or even if you have an open door - imagine a diving skyvan with 20 jumpers getting moved towards the front and you are trying to move uphill :o

so the line of defense - IMHO - is not how to open a door or get out of a plane that has stalled and is building up g-forces. it is preventing these situations from happening in the first place again IMHO I think that (to) many jumpers have no real clue how their actions on the way to alti and on jumprun affect the safety of the whole operation :|

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666