pccoder

What is Snivel?

I mentioned to someone this weekend that my canopy snivelled forever before opening. I thought this meant that the canopy pretty much hunts left and right while opening until it fills with air. He said to me he thought it was something else. Am I way off?

PcCoder.net

"snivel" is from the canopy leaving the D-bag and starting to inflate until it is fully open and flying.

ie, amount of time it takes to inflate = snivel

taken from PD's website:
The first part of the opening force you feel is called the snatch force. It is the force you feel when the canopy first gets to line stretch. The second phase of the opening is called the snivel, during which the canopy is overhead but the slider has not yet begun to travel down the lines. The third stage is the inflation, during which the slider travels down the lines and the cells finally pressurize.

I mentioned to someone this weekend that my canopy snivelled forever before opening. I thought this meant that the canopy pretty much hunts left and right while opening until it fills with air. He said to me he thought it was something else. Am I way off?

Nah, it means that your canopy was whining and complaining;)

Anyone know when this term got the present skydiving meaning? We used to refer to trying
to get on a load where not already invited as "snivelling onto a load," but that pretty much followed a dictionary meaning.

ok, then according to PD's website definition of snivel, that is exactly what I was talking about. After the canoy inflated, it kind of cocked back and forth left and right while the slider stayed at the top. Finally after what seemed like a long time (probably 3/4 seconds) it started to come down, but it had never taken that long in the 64 previous jumps I had done.

PcCoder.net

Finally after what seemed like a long time (probably 3/4 seconds) it started to come down, but it had never taken that long in the 64 previous jumps I had done.

HAHA
Sorry, that i'm laughing but 3/4 of a second isn't a long snivel.
What could then i say, that have regular 4 to 6 seconds of snivelling :o. Actually it snivels 2-4 seconds, and then "slowly" opens in the last 2 seconds.

p.s.: Unless you ment 3 - 4 seconds, then i'm :$ ;)
"George just lucky i guess!"

I am a packer........and I have one jumper that demands a snivel on his opening because of a back injury from skydiving last year.........so when i pack his parachute I roll the nose about 5 times........he loves my openings..........he pulls.....he looks up...sees the snivel....smiles........has a beautiful, soft opening..........he only reached for his handles one time..........he had a good snivel going.....canopy started to inflate.....collapsed again....he reached for his handles.....canopy decided to open...........he loved that one too!!!

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

snivel, is what the pilot does when a sucker hole flies over the dz and all the jumpers wanna get it up.
snivel, is what the jumpers do when the sucker hole flies away from the dz.
The Eloy snivel, when the packers get a canopy bigger than 150 sf.
The Oregon snivel, when the weather is nice and the jumpers go water skiing instead.
The DZ owner's snivel, when the tandem rainchecks come back to be redeemed.
The cameraflyers snivel, the team you're shooting for gets tired and quits after only eight jumps.
The tunnel rats snivel, What's wrong with the motors now?!?!?! (perris)

Ahhh that sounds like my kind of packer.....I had a bad car accident in 1993 and I appreciate thos nice long slow openings.. I just sit back in the saddle and watch as everything unsorts itself out and as the canopy expands the slider does not come all the way down.. that is my guage... if I have to pump the slider it was a good opening.. if the sucker is on top of my helmet... it hurt.

FWIW, I had some long snivels when I was jumping an Omega 250; one of our packers suggested pumping the rear risers to get the slider down. If you keep getting long snivels and it bothers you, you might ask one of your riggers or packers about it.

I cannot wait until I can start packing my own gear again..........since moving to florida I am not allowed to pack my gear since I am still on student status....and I hate 95 percent of my openings....they hurt.....and I still have bruises.....when I go back to wisconsin I am just going to be loving my own openings again.......

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"