quade

INDIA - North Pole Static Line First Jump -- Press Clips

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/587891.cms

City girl readies for North Pole odyssey

TIMES NEWS NETWORK [ MONDAY, MARCH 29, 2004 02:17:06 AM ]

PUNE: Shital Mahajan, a third-year B.Sc student of Fergusson College , was bragging one day on the campus about the thrill of taking the plunge — strap on a parachute, open up the hatch, jump out of an airplane, feel life!

A friend then gave a counter-point. "You're crazy," he said. "I can't believe you jump out of planes for fun. It's so dangerous." Shital doesn't think so.

Spurred by the national record set by Squadron Leader Kamal Singh Oberh of the IAF, Shital has decided to take a plunge, that too above the North Pole, on April 12.

She will be the first Indian girl, perhaps the first girl in the world, to make a maiden skydive on the Arctic Circle in sub-zero temperatures. "One lady did it a few years ago, but she had several earlier skydives to her credit. Mine would be a maiden jump of my life," she told.

Shital was inspired by Sq. Ldr Kamal's feats and his subsequent presentations in the city. An officer attached to the National Defence Academy , Khadakwasla, he is the first Indian to go sky-diving on both the poles — at South Pole in Antarctica on January 1, 2000 , and at North Pole in Khatanga on April 20, 2002 .

"I wanted to do something exceptional and Sq. Ldr. Kamal Singh's video presentaion caught my eye," says Shital.

There was initial opposition from her middle-class family. But she was able to persuade her parents as support from philantrophic organisations came forth. She will be leaving for Longyearbyen (Slavbard) in Norway on April 9 and will jump from an MI-8 helicopter from the Ice Base on April 12.

Since this would be her first jump, she would make a static-line skydive, where the canopy (parachute) opens by itself, the moment one jumps out of an aircraft. Prior to that, she will go to the Parachute Regiment Centre, Bangalore , for a two-day ground and basic training on simulators.

The expedition will cost Shital a bomb — approximately Rs 13 lakh. But she has been working hard for six months. So far, she has garnered around Rs 9 lakh. Those interested in sponsoring the expedition may contact Shital on phone No. 56204416, mobile 94220 07720 or on email: princi_ [email protected].

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There was initial opposition from her middle-class family. But she was able to persuade her parents as support from philantrophic organisations came forth.

Any philantrophic organisations out there Wanna sponser me:):D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Quade, I have a nice Shiraz to share with you. . .just jaunty on down to So. Cal. . .

(p.s.; nice meeting you this weekend. . .sorry Keith and Dom "dom"inated the conversation. . ..
FGF #6
Darcy

She will be the first Indian girl, perhaps the first girl in the world, to make a maiden skydive on the Arctic Circle in sub-zero temperatures.

I think Bill Booth's daughter made her first jump, in tandem with Dad, onto the north pole.

To everybody's surprise Shital has taken her maiden static line jump on north pole. India is a hot country she must not even had encountered a 0 degree celcius, but still at -35 she has done a magnificient work. Also in India which is quiet reserved for womens and there are very few who take skydiving. Against all odds what she has done is really really appreciable.

just go through the link to read the full story

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=83656

(Edited by slotperfect to make the link clicky):)
Some Men See Things As They Are And Say Why? I Dream Things That Never Works And Say Why Not?

I am going to make a contribution.

Just to set the record straight, I did NOT make a contribution. I got in touch with her thru email but I never got off my lazy butt and do what was needed.

I am glad she did it. A kick in the butt to stereotypes, no?:D:D

Kris.

She will be the first Indian girl, perhaps the first girl in the world, to make a maiden skydive on the Arctic Circle in sub-zero temperatures.

I think Bill Booth's daughter made her first jump, in tandem with Dad, onto the north pole.

And her second one into Kitty Hawk.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals