ChadFlorian

First Jump after broken ankle / NERVES!

Okay... getting ready to make my first jump since Oct 22 when I broke my ankle on landing. Obviously I'm a bit nervous about that first jump. Here's what happened on Oct22. I've had a bit of time to think it over and as much as I'd like to have something to blame, I've had to admit to myself it was completely MY fault...

Some background on the day is required to set this up. I used to use my remote work days to work from the DZ and make a few jumps in lieu of coffee breaks. The DZ has wi-fi so it's just as good as working from home. I had done this probably a dozen times. Well, this day the network was down. So, I was about to pack it in and drive home to work from there. But at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to make up a story for work about my DSL being down at home and use a vacaion day. I couldn't get ahold of my boss, so I relayed through a coworker. So... it's a beautiful day in sunny Florida and now I have all day to jump! But in the back of my mind, I'm worried about pissing my boss off taking a last minue unapproved vacation day. In retrospect, this took me totally off my game and my head wasn't in the jump 100%. Perfect day. Light winds. Normal uneventful approach for landing. But I wasn't quite all there and I think I was looking down at the ground and before I knew it, I was flaring too late. I flared in time to plane out low but instead of putting my legs out in front for a but slide or PLF'ing, I had my knees up to my chest and feet under / slightly in front. My right foot contacted the ground first and popped right under me, breaking my fibula. Like a dumb ass, my first thought was, "Maybe it's just sprained. Who saw that shitty landing? Can I limp back without anyone noticing?" Ha. I tried to stand up and it just made this nice crunching sound as my disconnected foot settled back into the joint as I put weight on it.

Anyway... a freind took me to the hospital (thanks, Lori!) and a plate, 5 screws and 4 months later... My ankle feels good. I'm running on it with no pain or plroblems, and I can jump off a chair and PLF. So I droped off my rig for a reserve repack and gonna go bak up in about a week. Yes, I did tell my surgeon...

When I dropped off my rig, I watched some landings. I'm quite nervous about that first landing. Even though I feel I know what I did wrong (I should NOT have been jumping with other things on my mind!) And I will separate work and play from now on...

One good thing this has done is slow me down. Before, I wanted to jump as many times as possible as fast as possible. Now, I just want to take my time and enjoy each jump. I also now have absolutely no desire to downsize. I'm currently at 1.1 on a Sabre2-170. And I'll be upsizing to a 190 for a while till I get my feet wet again...

So... any suggestions about how to overcome those nerves about that first jump?

TIA
Blue Skies!
-Chad

So... any suggestions about how to overcome those nerves about that first jump?

I doubt you'll be able to overcome the nerves and in fact it's perfectly natural after what your last jump was like. This is just one of those things that you have to make yourself go do, no matter how nervous or upset your stomach is. Trust me I know from experience! Once you get out of the plane and land safely on the ground, you'll be so proud of yourself and then the nerves will finally start going away as you manifest yourself again. Good luck! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was terrified of my first jump back after breaking my ankle. In fact i was extremely scared the 2nd & 3rd jump too. It will eventually get better. Tis normal to be so scared. Good luck and have fun with your jump!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Similar scenario here. My last jump on Sept. 18th I tore my MCL. I'm totally freakin about my 1st jump back. Its probably 10x worse for me cuz I'm still a student so I still have the customary rookie nerves as well. I really hope I can get my ass out the door.

But I'm sure what everyone said is true - its gonna feel so freakin awesome to land that 1st jump safely! I know I can do it! You will, too! Good luck!:)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Same boat ,diss ankle ,tip and fib snaped,18 screw two plates 5 sept 2004 rejumped 20 november 2004 in a boggie 30 jumps... lessons lern,t DO USE ANCKLE SUPPORT,S , i tendered to use my other leg first, not a good idea pulled the musle in that ,over used it. support,s will stop that.:)
The point of no return what a rush.

Hi NERVES!,
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Only it was about 32 years ago. Lousy landing on a PC, bustid tibia and fibula, 3 screws, they are still there!!! Well, do you walk, run, jog now after the break? Can you do any of these things with little or no pain? If you can work your ankle and put weight on it you should be good to go. I wrapped mine with an ace bandage for a while (was also jumping in Frenchies {aka Paraboots} back then!) If you're jumping a 170 and are up sizing a notch any way, have fun. Just do some cool conservative landings and you should be O.K. It's not like doing round canopy, down wind accuracy like the old daze!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Wow, it's crazy to see how many people have had repair kits installed!

I'm in a very similar situation bro. I broke my right fib/tib on October 2nd. A plate and six screws in one side and another screw in the other i'm getting ready to make a come back as well. Feb 26th is my day.

Good luck woith your first jump back, let us know how it goes!

peace

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I broke my fib on Dec. 5th. Got the cast off a few couple of weeks ago. Still working on the muscles. I am going to wait a couple of more weeks. I have decided to use a splint for the first jump or so just for some extra support. This should help me out mentally. Can't wait to get back on the Moto-X cross bike also, this is how I broke the leg. Not jumping.:ph34r:

Well, after breaking my ankle, it was time to just fess up... I screwed up and had to come clean about it.

You're in good company. At least there is one other "nutjob" here! (at work)

At least we have good group insurance. They have to cover us even if it's skydiving-related. :)
You'll be on on Saturday?

...I'm running on it with no pain or problems, and I can jump off a chair and PLF. So I droped off my rig for a reserve repack and gonna go bak up in about a week. Yes, I did tell my surgeon...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
It's all coming back... I broke by ankle on my first jump in 1982. Was approaching the ground under a T-10 and had a brain fart on the PLF. The doctor was the same guy who had treated me for another broken ankle several years before, the result of an outfield collision during a high school softball game. He told me I shouldn't be jumping out of airplanes. I asked why he didn't tell me to give up baseball...

The ride to altitude for my second jump the following year was one of my most frightening. I still remember the silhouette of the C-206 flying into the afternoon sun over Duanesburg, NY as I waited for the static-line to do its job. At 1000' I was ready for the PLF. Hit gently, rolled, and stood up. "What! Is that all there is to it?!"

You'll be scared, but you'll be fine. Happy skies B|.

Cheers,
Jon S.

(Reporting from the library during a break in the job search...)

Okay!!! Finally jumped yesterday!!!

Went very well! I ended up not upsizing since I was already upsizing by the 25 pounds I lost since October... Was 200, now 175...

Did 2 jumps. Both with very nice landings!

Good to be back!

Thats awesome!! Congrats! :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I'll be taking my container and reserve up to my rigger tomorrow for him to assemble. (New container arrived about a month after I busted myself-) My main is at PD right now, and will return with the risers attached. I plan on jumping on Safety Day, March 12th.