jimmytavino

should I feel guilty

:| sunday morning... enjoying coffee and the newspaper when the phone rings....:o
....jumping buddy from a while back...... he stopped jumping maybe 3 or 4 years ago.. for a few reasons...

anyway.. he says " jimmy i have a rig and assorted gear,, sitting here,, which I'll likely never use again..."..... I have some bills I need to catch up on,,,and so i wanna part with the gear..."...
I felt bad to hear that....[:/].....
so he says.."I have a mirage 2 with under 50 jumps on it...it has a swift+ 145 reserve and a stilletto 150 w/ maybe 400 jumps"..... So I say, " well i would think there would be some interest in that,, i'll ask at the club"." does it have a cypres in it" ? He replied,, " no"... and then said, " I don't want to waste time with advertising it,, or dealing with others... are YOU interested in it....??? I chuckled,,,,thinking of myself under a stilletto 150 !!!! :SB|....and said, "jeeze fred,,,, not for me,, but maybe I can forward it on to others,,, How much you want for it,,,??",,,,, He says,,," gear bag, packing mat, 2 altimeters, helmet, Rig ,, 600 Bucks!!!! "....:S:o>:(..... I reply, "600 bucks???? whaddaya NUTS"?????!!!!:S....... " don't be ridiculous!!!! "....each component is worth 600 bucks...."...... He says, " it's worth Nothing,, sitting here in my closet."...
So i said,, "Listen man , i'd put up 1000bucks tomorrow,,,,, and then hope for the best... If I can find someone for it,, great.... ( I'd would NOT likely jump it myself).... If It's possible to sell it for more,,, I will look you up then,,, and hopefullly give you another payment of a couple of hundred more,,, at least..."... he says...." no No No.. that's not necessary jmy,,,, you'd be helpin' me out greatly,, with the grand......" " anything else you get is for you...."...
......hmmmmmm so now.. i have mixed feelings... I know this rig is in excellent shape,,, and still of a vintage,, where it could be a great rig for someone,,, only fred isn't around the dz any more,,, has limited contacts,, for selling the gear,,, etc etc... he told me he had left it at a local DZ and the DZO offered him 450 bucks for it...B|[:/]>:(
..... and so he said NO.....anyway.. how should I feel here?? i think I'm helpin' out an old pal... HE Is super fine with the arrangement... and expressed gratitude,, Only I feel like i am getting the better end of this deal.....
comments??? feedback???
P S ... No the rig is Not for sale,,,, at least NOT just yet....;)
...............jmy o[:-)

Getting geared up in this sport is brutally expensive...especially for students just finishing paying for AFF.....I say pass it on at that great price to a new jumper with the agreement that when they outgrow it they must also pass it on to a new jumper without making a profit.:)
As much as I'd like to hit you up for it....alas it is too small for me:(...but if you come across something with a 190 in it...;);)

Edited to add: Eeeek....I just reread your post.....made a big boo boo.....prob not a good idea to put a student under a stiletto....how about a poor experianced jumper????

Getting geared up in this sport is brutally expensive...especially for students just finishing paying for AFF.....I say pass it on at that great price to a new jumper with the agreement that when they outgrow it they must also pass it on to a new jumper without making a profit.

That is a great idea. Everybody wins :)
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

it's a great idea but a Stilletto 150 for someone just off of student status sounds a little extreme. But baring that if you can sell it for more, do it. Then send your buddy that is hurting for cash an annomous card with the extra in it. Maybe keep a little bit of it for your trouble in selling it but just give him the remainder and refuse to take no for an answer.

Or you could sell it for the extra and then donate the extra to a worthy charity (Jump for the Cause comes to mind B|) in your buddies name.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

No you should not feel guilty, but you can in turn do the right thing and give him any extra profit you make. He sounds like he is a good old friend that might need the cash (he already took it to a DZ looking to sell it) but still has alot of pride. I would give him the grand, sell the rig and pay him the difference. He sounds like a good friend that will offer you a few hundred for your time.

Just my $.02

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Hey, you did the right thing and told him what it was worth. Buy it up, resell it, and give him some or all the profits you make. You're not ripping someone off if they know the score. Sounds like he just wants to get rid of some old stuff. By the way, see the classifieds for a Infinity container I've got for sale.:)

... what would make me happiest is if he kept the gear and we could go out and skydive together again.....
we both started doing video around the same time and he is the first cameraman,, i ever videoed in action..... It was a c182 Dz... and if there was just one tandem student I would pay my slot,,go along ,,,and video the trio... This guy was super good at rear floating on the 182.....B|;) ( i'd get outboard on the step)
.. As for the gear...I'll do whats right,,, and i think he knows it...( maybe that's why he called ) and while we don't see each other very much anymore,, our past friendship helps me to look out for HIM and his family...and proceed accordingly. If he's happy, I'm happy....If we can help someone acquire a new rig at a reduced cost,,, we will... then it will be a winning situation .... all around...:)

You were honest with him about the value. HE choose to take the fast cash instead of taking the time to sell it for full value. He understood he was getting a lower price for a fast turnaround. A fair deal all around. In business dealing with people in general but particularly friends, the only way to be is open and honest and let the other party make an informed decision. You should not feel guilty in anyway, shape or form. If you felt charitable you could send him a portion of the excess funds from the eventual sale but remember you financed the deal, you took the time and effort to sell the components, etc. You should receive something for your time, effort and money you put into handling this.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP