demoss99

What's in your logbook?

I often wonder if I'm putting down sufficient information in my logbook about my jumps. I'm curious to find out what types of information jumpers put in their logbooks. How much detail do you go into? Names of other jumpers? Weather? Formation? etc...

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I have the logbook with the big log data squares I discribe the jump (3 way RW)

1. Exit- Setup what went well or wrong, and how I could fix it

2. Freefall- Same

3. Canopy/Landing- Same

This does lead to some long entries, but allows me to see gradual improvement and gives me specifics so I can set concrete goals.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Personally I put the names of the other jumpers and formation (like a 4 way with Travis, Susie, and Bill) I also write down how many points we turned, if any. :D If anything of note happened that day I'll write that down too. I was jumping the day the rocket blew up over Texas. I wrote that in my logbook. I was jumping the day Roger Nelson died. I wrote that down. I don't usually say anything about the weather unless it's noteworthy.

The usual - jump #, date, location, aircraft, canopy, altitude - I add in deployed at - type of jump (i.e. 4pt - 14 way with Oren) and as much info about the jump as possible - including as many of the names as I remember :$. If I've gotten pointers from one of the up-jumpers or LO's on how to do something better, I'll make a note of that as well. And, most of the time I get signatures and for those that I don't have signatures, I know who was on the jumps so I can always go back to them (and am planning on it) to get the signatures.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

after 30 years of jumping and you look your logbooks over, you will never find a single jump where you wish you had written less. For most, if not all jumps, you will wish you had written more. I wish I had written down the N-numbers of the planes I jumped out of. I wish I included last names more often, so I could find some people from the old days, I wish I had said more about the exit, lineup, and how it worked.... I wish...

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I have looked back to my paraglidng logbook from 2000 and 2001... I kept a logbook in an excel spreadsheet. I wrote down everything, especially when things went bad. It is fun reading - and if I read it about once a year, I remember all the good times as if I had a camera for every flight.

My skydiving log book is not nearly as complete, and I already regret it.

Kind of corny - something my mom would tell me to do I know, but the logbook really is the capturing of the "kodak moments". Just my thoughts.

Date - jump number, location......

and maybe i might just write 2 way FF, or 3 way FF or just FF...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

after 30 years of jumping and you look your logbooks over, you will never find a single jump where you wish you had written less. For most, if not all jumps, you will wish you had written more. I wish I had written down the N-numbers of the planes I jumped out of. I wish I included last names more often, so I could find some people from the old days, I wish I had said more about the exit, lineup, and how it worked.... I wish...

Everybody needs to read what is said above. Because everybody, if they survive that long, will feel the same way at 30 years.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

i have 2 dives, i'll certainly heed this advice

The usual - jump #, date, location, aircraft, canopy, altitude - type of jump (and as much info about the jump as possible - including as many of the names as I remember. And, most of the time I get signatures and for those that I don't have signatures, I know who was on the jumps so I can always go back to them (and am planning on it) to get the signatures.

I'm much the same, i dig getting the signatures of the people that i jumped with especially on jumps like Nate's memorial track and stuff. That was one of the most amazing jumps i have ever been on and one day wanna look back and see who i was privelleged enough to have jumped with.

I also still get my coaches to log and sign coach jumps that i do during the debrief.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

:)
names, places, dates, aircraft.... Good skydives..;). LESS than good skydives....B|..
stories of heros,, stories of non heros
mistakes made, ( and gotten away with ) >:(...Challenges accomplished,,,,,and the names of thousands of people with whom I have jumped... Some,, only ONCE,, never to be in the air with them again ( such as boogie jumps, or jumps while visiting a different DZ ) and some with "regulars", with whom I have shared many many many hundreds of skydives..... A record of Camaraderie.... a record of smiles, and a record of the once in a while frowns, or dissappointments...[:/]......
Each entry, a time capsule which can be visited anytime and which ABSOLUTELY, brings that skydive back to my mind, vividly, accurately, and instantly. My logbooks include the names of friends and fellow jumpers with whom I may have shared this fantastic sport..
..Pages and pages of fun and exciting "Moments of Intensity" in my otherwise,,, " not - so - intense" life...:(:o:DB|;):)Keep turning pages in your logbook, reminiscing and remembering.... It can make you happy... and grateful....:D
skydive softly, skydive often, skydive with friends.
............:)