el_chester

Reserve re-pack in Z-Hills?

Will be arriving there on Sat. Apr. 02 at about 6pm

Do you know of somebody who can do it either overnight or half-day Sunday so I can start jumping ASAP?

I will also contact the DZ, but from previous experience I know some DZs will only direct you to a certain rigger, who might be overbooked, charge more for a prompt job, and then also take more time. >:(

Thanks!

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

Try calling the dropzone loft, Paragone Rigging 813 779 0239. They are on site full time and could do the work for you.

Don't blame them for charging more, they are shifting the work that showed up on time for yours, deserves some kind of extra charge.

If you call ahead of time, they may be able to schedule it and not charge more but don't quote me.
Jody

april 2nd is weeks away....:|

why not just have your own rigger do the repack....before you leave... then you'll be all set,, when you get there...

If you plan to fly AND take your Gear,, AND if it is "out of date"...... you could run into trouble at the airport...,,,

"valet reserve repacks ".... deserve extra pay..

...or arrange to ship it directly to the dz well ahead of time,,, and fit it into the rigger's schedule a week or so before you plan to arrive... then you can ask immediately.... " where can I manifest" ? instead of... "Is my rig done yet"...???? right???

dude, you're already going into it with an attitude that you're gonna get hosed. not all dzs want to bend you over and lay it to ya.

paragone rigging (the loft at zhills) is the place that i get my reserve packed because sally (owner, instructor, world champion, add whatever here and she's done it..okay, ALMOST whatever) is just damn good at what she does. she runs a very busy loft. but might i suggest that you call ahead or better yet, ship the rig to her that week minus the main and it'll be ready for you when you arrive.

but going in all defensive and shit because of prior experiences isn't the best way to start a relationship with a rigger you're just getting to know.

matter of fact, i've told sally this myself: she should be charging at least $10 more than she does for a repack. her prices haven't gone up in at least 5 years. her rigging is outstanding. i live in deland, have a roommate that's a rigger, but will drive the 2 hours to have her pack my reserve.

so, be nice to her, take her some good chocolate, and allow paragone rigging to change that nasty mindset that all big dzs overcharge for their rigging.

although i will say this: when i was out west two and a half years ago and had a reserve ride, i almost shit myself when i was charged $45 for an INSPECTION ONLY!!! that's what i pay here for a repack and i was going to be charged i think it was something like $70 at the "independently owned and operated" loft at the dz i was at. and if anyone wants to argue that "you get what you pay for shit" ... uh uh. not under this circumstance.

suffice it to say that i will NEVER use the services of that loft again. if it means standing down from important skydives, then so be it. that shit is highway robbery.

blues and have fun in the hills,
arlo

"be careful giving advise. wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it "

I hate to be picky, but "advise" is a verb, "advice" is the noun you need here....

I agree with the poster who recommended having your reserve re-packed before traveling by your usual rigger. Why wouldn't you do it that way?

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I hate to be picky, but "advise" is a verb, "advice" is the noun you need here....

Thanks. I am quite picky about bad spelling too, so I like your advice. (sig line changed, BTW)

I agree with the poster who recommended having your reserve re-packed before traveling by your usual rigger. Why wouldn't you do it that way?

There are no USPA-certified riggers at the DZ I jump except the Skydive Chicago pilots who fly their otter for us, but since each pilot is coming for a few weeks at a time, I am researching this as a plan B alternative should one of them not be able to do it before my trip.

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

Thanks. I am quite picky about bad spelling too, so I like your advice. (sig line changed, BTW)

There are no USPA-certified riggers at the DZ I jump except the Skydive Chicago pilots who fly their otter for us, but since each pilot is coming for a few weeks at a time, I am researching this as a plan B alternative should one of them not be able to do it before my trip.

Well, who does your re-packs then? It sounds like there are at least two good riggers at Z-Hills these days, maybe the advice to send the rig on first (without the main) would work out best for you.

"USPA-certified riggers" Ok, I'm no longer an active rigger so I really don't know, but when I got my Senior Riggers License in 1973, it was an FAA license, USPA had nothing to do with it. Has that changed?

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I use and HIGHLY recommend Susie! She's a great rigger. She does awesome work and does it quickly and reasonably. She's in the area and is willing to work with me, anyone, to meet somewhere to pick up the rig, or rigs. I won't use another rigger, period! Susie has titles, records, 1000's of jumps, 100's of saves and people send her their rigs from around the world... that's good enough for me!! :)
I forgot to mention... if anyone is in the area or will be in the area and needs a repack, PM me and I will be happy to get you in touch with her. :)

matter of fact, i've told sally this myself: she should be charging at least $10 more than she does for a repack. her prices haven't gone up in at least 5 years. her rigging is outstanding. i live in deland, have a roommate that's a rigger, but will drive the 2 hours to have her pack my reserve.

NO Kidding........I was totally surprised when Sally gave me my bill. $45 is freaking great....I have been paying way more than that for the last 2 years!!!
Sally Rocks ;)
<>
Tami