sd-slider

Where's the Rush?

the skydive is a performance to me (must do well, got to get that point, etc)...not really enough time to think/enjoy.

It sounds like you have lost sight of the fact that it is supposed to be recreation, not a contest trying to prove how big your di*k is.

Sparky

Nah, you misunderstand/I didnt explain well enough.

i dont focus like that because it is a contest to prove anything, for some reason I take offense to that suggestion.

rather, I just dont want to screw up a jump that 4 other people payed 21 dollars each for. Im not trying to "prove" anything....I just like to do well.

the skydive is a performance to me (must do well, got to get that point, etc)...not really enough time to think/enjoy.

It sounds like you have lost sight of the fact that it is supposed to be recreation, not a contest trying to prove how big your di*k is.

Sparky

Nah, you misunderstand/I didnt explain well enough.

i dont focus like that because it is a contest to prove anything, for some reason I take offense to that suggestion.

rather, I just dont want to screw up a jump that 4 other people payed 21 dollars each for. Im not trying to "prove" anything....I just like to do well.

Well, I have been on NUMEROUS jumps that I or someone else screwed up. The important part was that we all had fun in the screwing. ;)

Jump that way and it never gets old.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

If you're not allowed to screw up in a non dangerous way, that takes away a lot of the fun.

Those guys paid their money and take their chances.

So it didn't go as planned. Big deal. Was it fun?

Of course fun for some is when everything just clicks. I think perfectionism isn't necessarily always a good thing. If it turns someone into a berating arsehole, I'd rather be without it.

Four Letters Brother...
B A S E

I havent gotton an adrenaline rush while skydiving in a long time. I find peacs and solice in jumping. Skydiving WILL change your life..Base Jumping will make you appreciate it!

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

I moved primaraly to BASE a few years ago but it had nothing to do with a rush - a common misconception of BASE whuffos is "oh I bet you do that for the rush"

Don't get me wrong 'cause I'm not saying this 'aint so for others and I think if a "rush" is what you're after then BASE can certainly fulfill that need as it does for some.

For me BASE was a chance to be a student again - to challenge myself, to experience more progressive learning and to find that "internal conversation" again - you know the one ;). For me it's a form of meditation - a martial art of merging adrenaline, serenity, inertial interplay, internal conversation, altitude, stress management, rigging and gymnastics. All this and more - too much to be defined as just "a rush". Also - a new dimension in friends and going places and discovering new places to jump and to share this with your friends.

I found that skydiving was too easy and the rewards were much better if I "earned" my altitude. To skydive you just drive to the DZ, pay your fee, order breakfast, walk to the plane, sleep to height, flop out the door, pull some strings, pull some more strings and land. This started to become predictable and unchallenging. With BASE it's about site assessment, weather assesment, walking down sometimes, climbing or hiking, travelling, waiting and generally earning altitude the HARD way. I always find that the harder road has the best rewards for me.

Like 321seeya who finds peace and solice in jumping I also find that THE most focused and relaxed time in my life is just before exit from a cliff, bldg, dam, antenna or whatever. I get a major RUSH just beforehand when gearing up but come exit time and during the launch/jump - pure utter peace and focused existence like no other.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

I always hear about the "rush", "addiction", "gotta jump" scenarios but can't relate to any of them at this point.

I don't get a rush as such with skydiving, but I do get the addiction, but only as long as I am having fun. After some non fun competition jumps I did over new years skydiving lost a lot of its appeal to me. I was jumping weekly up until then, since then I have done 10 jumps! It's only in the past few weeks that I have really started missing it again and cant wait for the weekend so I can jump.

People get different things from skydiving. Obviously there's something about it that you are drawn to or you wouldnt have spent money on your own gear. It doesn't matter if you feel what others do, as long as you are happy.

Forget about "the rush", just have fun! I was doing a 'serious' 4 way last weekend and got my foot stuck on the step on exit, thus funnelling the exit with great precision. It's all fun, no one is gonna yell at you, people make mistakes and learn, that's what life is all about.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

I found that skydiving was too easy and the rewards were much better if I "earned" my altitude. To skydive you just drive to the DZ, pay your fee, order breakfast, walk to the plane, sleep to height, flop out the door, pull some strings, pull some more strings and land.

Wow, I dont really agree with that at all. That sounds a lot like what my whuffo friends say when i bring up skydiving..."what so hard about that...all you do is fall and then open you parchute and land." They dont understand that theres a lot more to it like freeflying and high performance landings. Whenever you feel like the rush has gone away and need to challenge yourself, try somethin new like freeflying or CRW (not that i recomend CRW to anyone :P) but just learn something new.

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

Sorry - my bad - just MY flat-line experience with skydiving where RW (flat flying ZZZzzzz) just didn't do it for me. Sorry to be so linear minded.

Choosing a new discipline should bring you new found enjoyment if you're looking for that "something else". I described my experience of what earning altitude means to me but I am very much awed and appreciative (even envious) of the newer disciplines out there today like freefly and the like. CRW is the other discipline that gives me a "rush" - actually it scares the pants offa me and it (along with 7-cell accuracy) compliments BASE quite well. It's just that BASE gave me that challenge and something new like nothing else.

Cya - g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

The only time I ever get "THE RUSH" is when I screw up and have to deal with.
(e.g. Low toggle turn and JUST save my arse) that was a Rush, but I don't want it repeated.
I've never got a rush from a 'normal' jump, that's not why I do it.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I kinda stepped back on this one to see what
people had to say.

Me too!

Musch thought went into the initial post, and I appreciate all the words (serious, comedic, WTF?, etc.).

I feel the road is a little clearer now and maybe I was chasing "someone else's" experience or expecting too much. I now understand that it is "my" personal experience from jump to jump to enjoy, ANALYZE, and grow on, that does, and will continue to provide the inner peace and soul cleansing that I seem to get from it all.

In summation....I have decided to pick a fight thirty seconds prior to exit on EVERY run!!>:(

Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

In summation....I have decided to pick a fight thirty seconds prior to exit on EVERY run!!

I think I'll lay back and just FILM this
time around!
:P

When I comes to Bar Fights...
The older I get~The better I WAS!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~