BillyVance

Demo jump cancelled because of a vengeful jumper

My apologies for the repost. I originally posted this in the Safety & Training forum and got a PM saying this probably should be in General Skydiving Discussions...

-----------------

I just wanted to get this off my chest, as I am so pissed off. I tried very hard not to let this post turn into a personal attack.

I had emailed my S&TA asking for an update on an upcoming demo planned for May 21. We were to jump into a race-track in a congested city where a Harley Davidson rally was scheduled to take place.

The problem is this, a skydiver AND Harley rider, who I'll identify as B.A., was working with the Harley rally coordinator and the S&TA who was putting on the demo. Well, she apparently wanted to be on the jump, despite not having enough experience nor exhibiting competent landing and accuracy skills. The S&TA, doing her job, rightfully told her no. The S&TA has known B.A. since she started jumping and was her instructor!

SO... B.A. took it upon herself that if she couldn't do the jump, NO one would do it either, and she proceeded to get the demo jump cancelled and made the S&TA look bad, even though the racetrack manager gave the OKAY for the jump.

This totally reeks of sour grapes. A perfectly good demo jump opportunity trashed because of someone's selfish "me first" mentality.

B.A., I cannot begin to tell you how incredibly disappointed I am in you. [:/] The S&TA is well-respected and widely known throughout the area, and you trashed her out of spite!!! >:(

Don't be offended if I decide I don't ever want to jump with you again, and if I find you on one of my loads, I'm getting off it. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

SO... B.A. took it upon herself that if she couldn't do the jump, NO one would do it either, and she proceeded to get the demo jump canceled

Sorry to see that Billy~

It's happened to me before too...and on even grander scale![:/]

Hopefully when this person gets enough experience to actually qualify to do this type of demo...they will also have matured enough to see the error of their ways.

Using initials is rather vague my friend...if this story is factual and true, as I'm certain it is knowing you...

You might consider letting us, her peers know who all is / was involved.

I've spoken with just such individuals one on one to explain how 86ing an event like this hurts the sport as a whole. The focus should be on helping promote the sport in general and not the seeking of personal 'glory'.

If someone isn't ready to perform a demo, take measures to become ready!

I'd tell her-
Don't feel like something was taken away from you, so you must take away from them.

That's like not being ready for the 2 minute call, so ya slit the tires on the airplane so NO ONE can go!:S

She should have ground crewed it , or helped is some way. By getting it cancelled, she hurt your team..her standing in the community...and all of us that jump.

It's about US as a group, not an individual ego.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I dont understand???? WHy not ditch the woman and make the jumps yourself anyways.. Why again does she have to be apart of anything???? is she sleeping with the event organizer or something.. shit man it sounds more like you are crying.. why not be vengeful yourself. its not like you are beating someone up or anything..call the event guy up for gods sake man ...

How did she get the jump cancelled? Why if she doesn't have the experience to make the jump does she have the pull to stop it entirely?

She's a Harley rider too and also a member or something of the motorcycle group holding the rally. I don't know what she did, but obviously she told the rally organizer something, and had the plug pulled on the demo... Only a week and a half to go so I doubt anything could be done to save it. She just basically stabbed my S&TA in the back... The S&TA is the one organizing the jump, and B.A. was more of a liaison between the S&TA and the rally organizer.

Speaking of childish, B.A.'s in her 40's, imagine that... [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Speaking of childish, B.A.'s in her 40's, imagine that...

It has been said that to grow old is assured but to grow up is optional.

it really sucks that the demo didn't go... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Only a week and a half to go so I doubt anything could be done to save it.

Bullshit!B|

Send them a bill for at least 1/2...and tell 'em since they're paying 1/2 for canceling anyway,...might as well buck up the other 1/2 and see the jump!

You have time and expense involved...don't just walk away!

Only a week and a half to go so I doubt anything could be done to save it.

Bullshit!B|

Send them a bill for at least 1/2...and tell 'em since they're paying 1/2 for canceling anyway,...might as well buck up the other 1/2 and see the jump!

You have time and expense involved...don't just walk away!

Yeah, it would be nice though. I just found out about this, and it actually happened some time ago. I don't know if the S&TA had a contract signed or paperwork submitted to the FAA, but it appears not, or we could have just gone over and straightened this crap out and the jump would still be on. Oh well...

I know you don't know me, but you're talking about my friend. I spoke with her and this was an administrative decision, totally out of her control. You should get your facts straight before you go posting on public forums.

I know you don't know me, but you're talking about my friend. I spoke with her and this was an administrative decision, totally out of her control. You should get your facts straight before you go posting on public forums.

Have you ONLY listened to her side of the story? How about the S&TA's side? Huh? S&TAs hold a lot of weight around here. She had the right presence of mind not to allow an unqualified jumper on the demo. Who knew the rejected jumper would sabotage the demo? I'm shocked myself...

Edited to add: Seeing how much experience you have, I don't think you really understand the amount of work and planning that goes into a demo. I've known my S&TA for 10 years. She does a great job planning these demos. I've jumped on many of them. B.A. should have accepted the "no" and moved on, or at the very least, as Airtwardo mentioned, asked to observe with ground crew.

I just think that you should hear all sides before you go slamming people on the internet. It sounds like you've only heard one side of the story yourself.

More than 2 sides actually.

Why would he start now?;)

lmfao....And if he did hear anything then maybe that chick will call disability on you Billy....
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I just think that you should hear all sides before you go slamming people on the internet. It sounds like you've only heard one side of the story yourself.

I know Billy well.I know he has not heard a thing

LMFAO!!!! I was laughing so hard my co-woker was said "WTF??" That was wrong! but funny.

JAMES

Much like the poster before me, I am . You're a demon, Spence. ;)

But on a more serious note, I've never known Billy to deviate from what is strictly factual when making a report of any kind, so I'm more than inclined to think that whatever "other sides" there may be to the story, the side he presents is the true and correct one.

rl

ANYWHERE ELSE in the entire WORLD...

That might seem Un-Politically Correct-

Here...

Hundreds of people are on the floor LAUGHING!:ph34r:

I Love the SPORT! B|

ANYWHERE ELSE in the entire WORLD...

That might seem Un-Politically Correct-

Here... Hundreds of people are on the floor LAUGHING!:ph34r:

If they know me, they better be! :D