HydroGuy

Progression to learn freeflying ?'s

Merely looking for opinions.

As you can see, I have 38 jumps...25 of them solo belly. Also have appx 1 hour of tunnel time. I'm always stable, can adjust my rate of fall/de-arch decently. Haven't had any teaching since aff and my A rw dives sans tunnel.

I'd like to take a tunnel camp/freefly course...something like the freefly mega center or whatever. Clean up belly, learn back, then sit. Combine the tunnel with 4 or 5 loads a day.

Is 38 jumps enough to think about this? I'm not really learning squat jumping by myself, don't know anyone else to jump with, and I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of belly rw work. I'm planning on having a coach guide this progression, not just winging it on my own. Seems like it would be easier to meet other freflyers to jump with than rw peeps as well.

Just wanted opinions from others. Maybe when you started working on these things. Maybe recommendations of freefly coaches or clinics at Perris.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I'm not really learning squat jumping by myself, don't know anyone else to jump with, and I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of belly rw work.

Where do you jump? If you're jumping at Perris there are numerous LO's available who would love to meet you, introduce you to others and jump with you - even at your level and at no additional cost to you.

Right now you have no idea what you're missing as far as RW goes - imho few things in life are as much fun as knocking out 15 points on a 4 way, diving down to a 20 way and/or being part of a 100 way. Not to say that freeflying isn't fun too (it is!), but it's easier to get the skills needed to safely jump with others on your belly than it is in other body positions.

Tunnel time is the shit if you can afford it, no matter what body position you are working on.

Seems like it would be easier to meet other freflyers to jump with than rw peeps as well.

I've found that to be the opposite unless you have very experienced friends willing to coach you for free.

FF is a lot more dangerous, so you really need certain skills before hitting specific situations. For example I started FFing at around jump 90 or so and have only recently started getting in on 4 ways. And even now I'm finding myself to be a slow faller, so I need to be able to stand reliably to keep up with some jumpers. That takes work for me to do yet, which keeps me out of complicated jumps with those people.

Where do you jump? If you're jumping at Perris there are numerous LO's available who would love to meet you, introduce you to others and jump with you - even at your level and at no additional cost to you.

[/br]
Perris it is. LO...Load Organizer. Heard of them, but I honestly do not know who they are or what they do. I actually thought they figured out what order to load the plane...but that order always seems to get worked out behind the prop under the influence of turbine exhaust. Please tell me more

Heard of them, but I honestly do not know who they are or what they do.

What they do is get people who may not know each other jumping together, generally on skydives that fit well with the overall experience levels of the people on them.

Who they are... I haven't been there for a few months so I'm not sure who's doing it now. I do know that whoever it is will introduce you to good people and teach you a lot - again, all for the price of a jump ticket.

Please tell me more

Stop by manifest and ask to be introduced to whoever is organizing lowtimers that day. They'll set you up.

If you'll be around Memorial Day weekend, look me up; I'd be happy to jump with you.:)

If you'll be around Memorial Day weekend, look me up; I'd be happy to jump with you.

Ditto.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

You've been given some great advice here dude. I had just as many jumps as you did when i started freeflying and now with nearly 300 jumps i regret the fact that my RW skills suck.

I'm looking to start doing camera work at my home DZ but before i do i have to grab a RW coach friend of mine and do some intensive flat coaching with her.

Grab an LO at Perris and take the time to learn some RW skills, i don't think you need hundreds of jumps to start freeflying, even if it's 30 or 50 jumps worth, you'll be glad you did later.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

don't know anyone else to jump with

Here's an idea.

Walk up to a hot freefly skychick.

Stick out your hand, say "Hi, I'm Kurt."

Smile.

You'll be amazed at the results. ;)

Oh, and don't knock belly rw until you've really tried it. Do 10 4-ways with experienced people and you'll see what a blast it is.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I'd like to re-emphasize -- check out the LO's at Perris. Go to manifest, ask for them, they'll direct you. Those guys are great, and their goal (one of their goals, other than just having fun) is to get new folks jumping with other people. Cause doing lots of solos just sucks.. and isn't that great for learning, either

Also, depending on how many LO's there are that day and how busy it is.. and how your freefall skills are.. they'll break the group into very small loads -- 2-ways or 3-ways -- which are great for working on skills. (tip: best for that is first thing in the morning)

Totally, get with these guys! (at least if you want to practice belly flying. and it's probably a good idea to get good at belly flying before going too far over to the dark side -- but take that with a huge grain of salt, since it's total hearsay, I don't really know)

Oh, and if you're gonna be out at Perris on a weekend after the beginning of June (I'm travelling before that), and want to jump (belly), lemme know!

Well, looks like i need to hook up with the Load Organizers. I know a guy Tom that is an LO on Mondays...but I never knew what that meant. I guess I'm going to have to make it out on a Sunday sometime and check out the weekend crowd. I usually go Wed...cheaper tickets and easier to find the gear I want on the demo program.

Thanks to all who offered to jump with me...if I'm out on a weekend, I'll send a message before and and try to hook up with you.