DOA

Flights booked. FFadventures here I come

Hi,
I finally booked it ! Flying in from the UK on 8th July to start my AFF/consols and weather permitting FS1, a session in the tunnel on a wednesday.

So, has anyone any tips tricks or insider knowledge of skydive sebastian and the surrounding area? My plan is to camp on the sebastian DZ for 2 weeks. Looking forward to seeing anyone else who will be there for those 2 weeks.

Man I cant contain myself.

Phil.

-------------------------------------
When I learn new stuff, it pushes the old stuff out of my brain!

So, has anyone any tips tricks or insider knowledge of skydive sebastian and the surrounding area?

Bring shorts. And rain gear. Watch out for Wendy. Don't drink cocktails mixed by anybody named Dave. Be sure to make a trip to the beach. The Publix at US1 and Roseland Road has good prices on food.

And be sure to get on a sunset load. You've picked one of the most beautiful places in the world to learn to skydive.

Sebastian is my second favorite dz in FL, you picked a good place to jump. At that time of year you'll get afternoon thunderstorms on most days, so be prepared to sit around until they pass. It will be hot, humid and the mosquitoes will be out at night. Buy suncreen and bug spray. That area still has the older FL look to it and is pretty laid-back. Captain Hiram's restaurant/bar is a cool place to hang out at night. Enjoy the view when you jump, it's awesome!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Nooooooooo, u cant all big it up ! I'm now even more excited ! I'm gonna pop !

What I didnt want to hear was the thunderstorm issue. Is this a big problem and will it seriously impact my training? Do u all think it's possible to fit an AFF and FS1 in a 2 week window?

Thx for the quick replies guys and gals. And it;s nice u all dig the Sebastian DZ.

Phil.

IIRC FS1 is 10 jumps if you don't have to repeat anything. That's like 2 days easy jumping if the weather's good. Of course repeats push that back, as would having to wait for packing or instructors who have a busy job to do... but it's doable just.

Don't be downhearted if you don't make FS1 out there, although it has been done before.

I did my AFF at Sebastian this past winter.

I was also back to visit a few weeks ago. You will find your jumps during the week are limited due to the time of year. Not many people visit during the summer (its nice at home now), so loads do not get up as frequently. You may find your ready to jump but there are not enough people to get a load up. When I was there the first part of April if the group I was with wasn't there they wouldn't have gotten anything up :(

I seriously hope this isn't the case for you. I enjoyed my time at Sebastian and was able to finish AFF in just a few days - I hope you'll be able to do that too.

Say 'Hi!' to Rob and rigger Dave for me ;)

Good luck!

Jen
Arianna Frances

What I didnt want to hear was the thunderstorm issue. Is this a big problem and will it seriously impact my training? Do u all think it's possible to fit an AFF and FS1 in a 2 week window?

The thunderstorms are probably different than you are used to over there. They blow in and out pretty quickly, sometimes only slowing jumping down by a half hour or so. Remember how fast they can blow in if you see dark rain clouds in the distance when you're supposed to get on a load. A few times I have pulled myself off a load and have been glad I did it when I saw my friends landing in rain and higher winds.

I don't know what is involved in FS1 to give you an answer on that one.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Definitely plan to be up as early as the DZ is open. Summer afternoons can get windy @ Sebastian as it's right on the coast. The seabreeze picks up throughout the day. It's a beautiful place to jump though!

If I were you, I may reconsider camping in July in FL. If you want to jump hard and get through student stuff for two weeks you'll want good nights rest, and sleeping in 90 degree humidity is not totally condusive to that! Also with the regular afternoon storms, make sure your tent is a GOOD one if you plan to camp, as you don't want to sleep in a swamp. ;)

I wouldnt count on getting your FS1 finished in the two weeks. Although you have more than enough time to get the ten jumps done its not really like the AFF course where you do your levels and your done its more of an ongoing thing. The requirments for FS1 are more things you need to practice and improve you are unlikely to just be shown them and pick it up straight away like AFF. It is doable but its a lot to cover so dont put too much pressure on yourself.

I would definately advise you to get down to the beech its beautiful and goes on for miles. We went for a quick walk to the beech and kept going for about two hours befor we realised we how far we had gone!

The biggest thing to watch out for if your camping is the ants. Unlike the UK the have serious ants out there which will tunnel up under the tent because it is warm and moist and eat through the bottom if your not carefull. You should be ok seeing as your only there two weeks but keep an eye out and move the tent if you need to because you will wake up one morning and find a mound under the tent!!

Enjoy it and good luck

Stephen

Oh, should I have mentioned I'm also booked in a tunnel for a session. Maybe this will help me progress my FS1 a little easier?

Phil.

Yes it will definitely. Look at it as learning skills rather than qualifications. Even if you don’t come back with the qualification, you’ll come back with a lot of the skills it requires. Thus even if you miss out on FS1 in the states it shouldn’t take you too long back in the UK to obtain it.

I REALLY want to get my FS1 done while in FL. Mainly due to cost then weather (I live in the UK). The DZ say it's not impossible to get the aff/consol and the fs1, but they did throw the "weather" excuse in :(

Oh, and thx for reccomending birdman in CA for aff etc. But the flights were too expensive and there were connecting flights involved etc etc. But thx mr2mk1g !

Phil.

And may I say what a top forum this is. I've been part of many forums (not skydive related) but this forum is very friendly and you dont seem to get know it alls TELLING you stuff, instead advising. No smug chumps barking @ you.

If anyone is @ the Sebastian DZ between 8th July and 21st feel free to tap me on the shoulder and I'll buy u a beer in return for inside knowledge :ph34r:

I'm in the UK too. It's not that bad - besides you'll be coming back to your first UK DZ ready for the best of the weather.

I did my FS1 over here... cost me the same as any other skydive. Had three friends fill the slots on the 4 way and another fly outside camera. Showed that to the CCI together with my log book and I was signed off.

As I said the key thing is getting the skills not the sticker. If you have the skills you can demonstrate them any time and get the sticker.

I've been part of many forums (not skydive related) but this forum is very friendly and you dont seem to get know it alls TELLING you stuff, instead advising. No smug chumps barking @ you.

hehe - hang arround a while - they'll find you :D

PS, think it was someone else recommending cali/birdman etc.

Hey

I did my AFF in Sebastian last year in February and loved it soo much I went back in May to do my FS1. Got AFF done in 8 and FS1 in 8 too (thanks to Rob Stevenson, what a great coach!) Stayed at Wendy's and she is a top chick. Hoping to swing by later this year when I go globe trotting.

A couple of things though. It will be scorching and watch you don't burn your nose. You may laugh but you will be that much closer to the sun when in freefall and under canopy and it is that much stronger. I did and it hurt! Sore shoulders with a rig on your back is not too nice either.

We also had a few problems with the wind. Make sure you get up nice and early to ensure you get on the loads early as by around 11am the winds had usually picked up and didn't calm down until around 3 or 4pm.

The people are amazing, the views are spectacular the weather is a scorcher!

Say hi to Rob, Uwe, Wendy, Ian, Mark, Mario and Aaron if they're all still there.

You will have a fabulous time, I am so jealous!

Davina

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today

Phil, e-mail Jill Hall at FF Adventures and ask her to give you some info on accommodation, etc, seeing as from what everyone says it will be thunderstorm season and camping is not a great idea. There may be an RV to rent on the dz when you are there, so ask about that.

I was out in Lake Wales with a friend who was doing her AFF with FF Adventures (then based in Lake Wales) and can tell you that Mick and Jill who own FF Adventures are fantastic people. Mick makes you feel totally at ease whilst feeling as though you are getting the best instruction. Jill is a lot of fun and very motherly - they will totally look after you.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you regarding the weather and if the weather gods are kind to you, then there should be no reason whatsoever not to be able to get your AFF and Cat 10 - oops, sorry, FS1 - in two weeks.

Please say Hi to Jill and Mick for me.

Liz

well thx to everyone who has given me feedback. I'm sure I'll be itching to get back on the forum come the 23rd July and proudly list my licence details and jumps !

I'll pass on all the hellos and who knows I may take a copy of this thread to leave laying around the Zoo bar !

Regards
Phil.

I did my AFF and consoles there a couple of years ago in July, its not their high season due to weather but still a great place. I had no trouble doing AFF and consoles in 10 days (included acouple of days off). As for getting your FS1 well maybe but AFF gives you a basic competance in the sky, FS1 and flying with other of similar standards is a whole different ball game.

Analogy.......If you just started playing Sunday league football (soccer for the yanks) unless you were pretty exceptional you wouln't expect to be playing for Preston North End two weeks later .......and Manchester United would be many seasons away.

You'll love it though and as others have said don't be too worried about your FS1 straight away

"Life is a bowl of deadly nightshade, stay way way out on the rim brother"

hope you have a great time and good luck with the FS1. Just remember to enjoy every second because you will spend everyday when you get home wishing you couold still be there!!

Say hello to Mik and Mark for me (my instructors) and Rob, Uwe, Drew, Bonnie and anybody else ive missed of the list who remembers me and the rest of Uni of Kent. And tell them we should be back this new year with even more new students for them!!

Stephen