CaneSpider

is it logical to do your first jump AFF?

topic. anyway, i'm doing my first jump AFF, and every1 i'm going with is doing tandem. is AFF really afe for someone who doesn't know whta they're doing? Am i insane? I really am doing it this way in case I love it and want to become accomplished at it. I'm nervous a little about screwing
up on my very first jump and failing the level.
Skydiving is my affirmation of life.
it's good to know God still needs me.

It's perfectly logical IF you already know you want to go through the entire course and get your USPA A license and continue in the sport.

If for any reason you're sitting on the fence, then maybe a tandem would be a better first choice.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My first jump was AFF and i'm sooooo pleased it was!

The sense of acheivment is amazing.
If you think skydiving is something you want to do then I definately recommend AFF the way to go. Obviously ive never learned any other way so i'm a bit biased but ive never heard anyone who went the AFF way say they wish they hadnt!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

My father and I both did AFF1 the same day. I loved it and continued, he didn't and has not jumped since. Ended up he spent 3 times as much as he needed to find out it wasn't for him.

Might I suggest a tandem progression? A lot of DZ's offer a course that starts usually with 3 tandems and then you move to AFF, usually at level 3. To my way of thinking, it has a lot of advantages.
D28695 PoPs #9237
"Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular"
— Bruce Landsberg

My first jump was an AFF, and I have no regrets about that at all! If you are doing this because you want to get into the sport, then it is a good way to get started. Plus, you save the money you would have spent on the tandem!

is AFF really afe for someone who doesn't know whta they're doing?

First of all, you will have around 6 hours of fairly intensive training, and when you actually jump it will be with two highly qualified instructors who know how to save your ass in just about any situation. Its about as safe as you can get in skydiving!

Am i insane?

Very much so. Why else would you want to chuck yourself out a plane? :P

I really am doing it this way in case I love it and want to become accomplished at it. I'm nervous a little about screwing up on my very first jump and failing the level.

You have to try really hard to screw up a level 1 jump, so its not worth getting concerned about failing it.

Good luck with the jump! B|

is AFF really afe for someone who doesn't know whta they're doing? Am i insane? I really am doing it this way in case I love it and want to become accomplished at it. I'm nervous a little about screwing up on my very first jump and failing the level.

AFF is fine as a first jump, but most people do start with tandem. If you know you want to stick with skydiving, or you have some experience with other high risk or intense activities (mountain biking, snowboarding, flying airplanes, etc.), then an AFF jump is probably right for you.

You are asking some interesting, but basic questions, and I'm sure you will get some great answers here. You might also pick up a copy of my book, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy, published by McGraw-Hill earlier this year. It will probably answer a ton of question you wouldn't even think to ask! JUMP! is targeted at people just like you are are interested in trying skydiving, but wonder what it's all about, what training method is best, how to select a drop zone, and how to relax on the actual skydive. Another good book is "Parachuting, The Skydivers Handbook," by Dan Poynter and Mike Turoff. Both books are available from many skydiving gear stores, many local bookstores, and web dealers such as Amazon.com.

Blue Skies,

Tom Buchanan
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Wow, I thought everyone would think the other way. At our DZ a tandem is required first. Its just safer, and they had too many people never finish AFF.

You don't know what to expect--how to deal with the sensory overload. I think its best to enjoy the ride the first time... then learn to drive.

Thats just my opinion
--Jason;)

Ive never done a tandem so dont hold me to this but...

From what people (only 2 people!!) who have done a tandem then decided to do AFF have told me, tandems are nothing like AFF. They say that a tandem is like being on a fair ground ride. They cant put into words how different it feels to an AFF and wish they had saved the cash for AFF.

Is this what everyone feels like?

my first jump was my AFF level A jump so I know how it is. Thing is I knew I wanted to skydive for the longest time. I knew I was going to stick with it.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

How can anyone know they want to go through an entire course if they've never jumped before, If anything happens and your put off after Aff1 where will you go from there. There's alot to take in and learn on one's first ever jump. Do a tandem where you'll be more likely to relax, letting someone else do all the work, and just enjoy the ride. Maybe even two Tandems before starting with AFF.I have seen people walk away from the sport after AFF1. It was all to much to soon. Some people can pull it off, but it's a shame for the ones who can't.
eddie.

It's perfectly logical IF you already know you want to go through the entire course and get your USPA A license and continue in the sport.

If for any reason you're sitting on the fence, then maybe a tandem would be a better first choice.

It is probably hard to say 'yes, I knew for sure what I was doing before I got on that plane and did my first jump' but I still agree. My first jump was AFF and I still wonder how does it feel to be strapped to someone's body. Lots of people argue that it is safer to do a tandem first and become familiar with aircraft, exit and freefall. Well, I would say it is really personal. Nobody can guarantee that he/she will not freak out on first jump but do not forget that on AFF1 a student is assisted by two instructors specially trained to handle anything. Tandem is a fun ride. AFF is a first step in training to become a skydiver.

They say that a tandem is like being on a fair ground ride. They cant put into words how different it feels to an AFF and wish they had saved the cash for AFF.

It is a ride; someone else is driving. But, if you do a tandem first, you will still feel the blast, know what it feels like to look out the door, know what it feels like to not have anything under you, and know what the ground looks like as you land.

A tandem first will help you relax a little more with the added experience. On your first AFF jump, where you actually have tasks to perform, that experience is a good thing. Besides, if something unexpected happens on your first jump, you can't get away from a tandem master.

It is probably hard to say 'yes, I knew for sure what I was doing before I got on that plane and did my first jump' but I still agree.

Well, for me it was a simple extension of the rest of my flying career; private, instrument, commercial, CFI, aerobatics . . . "Hey, I have to wear a parachute for aerobatics. I better learn how to use them."

So, I went in knowing I wanted my license, but I had no idea how it would take over my life.

I recently missed two weekends in a row due to work and people were emailing and phoning me to see if I was ok. They'd never heard of me being away from it for so long!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A tandem first will help you relax a little more with the added experience. On your first AFF jump, where you actually have tasks to perform, that experience is a good thing. Besides, if something unexpected happens on your first jump, you can't get away from a tandem master.

I was totally relaxed on AFF1 and brainlocked on AFF2 B|

My first was a AFF jump. This wasn't by choice, well I guess it really was by choice. At the time I was 15 pounds over the limit for tandem. Four years later, here I am. There is one disadvantage if you plan on just doing the one jump. You have so much running through your head when you make the first jump you may not get a chance to just enjoy the experience. When I left the aircraft this thought went through my head. "If you f*&k this up your going to die."
About two days after I made the first jump, when I stopped vibrating, I started to think "what did I just do"? So I went back and did the level two jump a couple of weeks later.

If you can spend the extra money and time (it take most of the day), go for it. Its a great experience and it gives you the true flavor of what the sport is all about. I'm glad I did it.
---------------------------------------------

Randy

Do a tandem first. That way you can get the "HOLY CRAP!" out of your system up front, and really be learning and absorbing what's going on right from AFF 1. Hey, come to think of it, I did that and I still don't remember much about stage 1...

Skydiving isn't like anything else you've done before (well, probably not anyway). It will blow your mind (in a good way). You may not remember much about your first jump at all, unless you get video and the like. AFF is designed with this in mind, there's not really much you have to take in during freefall (under canopy is different) but still - it's a lot cooler to not be totally spannered on your first stage :)
Having said that, you sound like you're worried about needing some skill or awareness from tandem before AFF 1. You don't; tandem passengers really are just that. All a tandem jump does for your AFF progression is make freefall less of a surprise...

Your mileage will probably vary. It doesn't seem to matter either way, this is just my (inexperienced) $0.02. Either way, go do your thing, you're gonna have a blast.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Cane, looking at all the responses here I bet your still no further in deciding!!!

I guess it depends on you and what you want. If you feel nervous about doing your 1st as AFF, then do a tandem. Its not worth worrying over. Either way, youll love it!!!

;)

Cane,

Your question reminds me the other question: Why to jump out off a perfect airplane?:P
But seriously now, AFF by far will give you a good prespective of the sport since you will do things under the supervision of your 2 jumpmaster. Its nice the feeling of having 2 other (EXPERIENCED) persons next to you. Regarding tandem I believe you will get the feeling of freefal (to be honest I never have done one).
Its your choice finally, but for sure you are not insane:ph34r:

Cheers
Kyros

If your insane then I am too. I did the AFF1 jump without having any jump experience of any kind whatsoever. AFF 1 was literally my first ever jump. If you know whole heartedly that it's something you want to do, then do it.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Thanks everybody- I feel pretty set on AFF now, to tell you all the truth.
Tandem seems too much like just throing money away. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination. (taking care of a six month old daughter
will do that to you) And truth of the matter is, I'm not really on the fence
about anything, I just am beginning to get the jitters. But I'm not backing out like all my other friends. Hell, no. I've waited my whole life for this.
Skydiving is my affirmation of life.
it's good to know God still needs me.

Thanks everybody- I feel pretty set on AFF now, to tell you all the truth.
Tandem seems too much like just throing money away. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination. (taking care of a six month old daughter
will do that to you) And truth of the matter is, I'm not really on the fence
about anything, I just am beginning to get the jitters. But I'm not backing out like all my other friends. Hell, no. I've waited my whole life for this.

And it will be worth the wait!!

Good Luck.