packerboy

re: 5 canopy skills... new article

"You should be aware of where your landing target is in freefall. I have left countless jumps early because the spot was off, people took to long in the door and spread the spot to thin, or the wind was stronger when we exited then when we took off. The point is develop an awareness of where your target is in freefall by doing solos. Don't be afraid to deploy a little early if you see you are entirely too long to get back."

This could have been explained a little better I think. People should not simply be pulling high because they think they won't make it to the target without first being aware of the safety concerns involved with pulling higher than announced.

Unless of course you are the last out of the airplane and you can be absolutely sure you have clean airspace to deploy.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

People should not simply be pulling high because they think they won't make it to the target without first being aware of the safety concerns involved with pulling higher than announced.

Granted! But pulling high is one thing, at least you have (or should have) your own column of air to pull high in. I was even more concerned with the "I have left countless jumps early because..." part. Leaving the jump early? Is he suggesting you start tracking for the DZ before your planned break off altitude?

I'm a noob but it seems as though this is bad advice... or at least could be misconstrued in such a manner as to get someone hurt. Leaving your jump 'early' causes confusion among the other jumpers on your dive, leaves them guessing at where you are when it comes time for them to break off and pull and also, could place you at greater risk of entering another groups airspace.

Am I missing something?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Am I missing something?

Nope. ...and thank you for catching that! :)
Although, now even that being said, that ARE times when it would be "okay" if not advisable to leave early. On those times (and DRAMATICALLY BAD SPOT can be one of them), at LEAST a quick point down to your fellow jumpers and a waive-off (or if you have a pre-planned break-off signal) WOULD be also in order.

NEEDING to leave early significantly often though, as this original posters post seems to imply, does concern me too however, as it reflects a propensity at (or accepting) very poor planning (and/or spotting) in the 1st place! ...Doesn't anyone LEGITIMATELY SPOT (or at least pay attention to WHERE they are exiting in the 1st place) any more? :S[:/]
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

i think this is good article, but some points can be explained better, some are missing (flat turns? crosswind landings?) and some are just not that important at all. For example: why so much attention to pulling slider behind your head? It does not work if you have slider stops, it has to be done very carefully because you can induce a mal if one of your breaks get released in process and finally all that is taking attention from traffic, pattern and actual landing process. So i wonder why someone with 25-100 jumps needs to worry about this especially if benefits are so minimal on lightly loaded canopies? I would say that doing full controllability check is way more important then pulling your slider behind your head and loosing up your chest strap (totally unnecessary at low jump numbers)[:/].

...Doesn't anyone LEGITIMATELY SPOT (or at least pay attention to WHERE they are exiting in the 1st place) any more? :S[:/]

Sure they do, ... Nobody wants to ask for a second pass so they suck it up.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

For example: why so much attention to pulling slider behind your head?

exactly, and it isn't even mentioned that while doing this (if at all) first turn with rears to the dropzone, instead of going away from the dz...

i don't wanna criticize this article because it's written and it takes time to do so. but it's done poorely... [:/]
"George just lucky i guess!"

I think he means all 1 group.Everybody on the plane load.If the dive is moving like it was designed,we stay no matter what the spot.If nothing much is happening,and someone breaks off to track away early it usually means were in the wrong place and it's pretty much find a way to be clear of others and try to make the DZ.That Simple right?

If you got out without checking the spot, it's not the fault of the group in front of you it's yours. The pilot may not like it, but it is your choise to leave the plane, ask for the go around. You are now adding to canopy congestion by not following the dive plan. Choose your alternate landing area and be prepare for the off dz landing. Trust me, trying to make it back fram a long spot can put you in the hospital. It's better to land out and walk back, than to try and make it back and become an incident report and get a ride in an ambulance.

Thats what I am saying... I haven't really jumped anywhere that hasn't had major outs... but even on Cessna loads, we don't leave the jump early. Plan the dive, dive the plan. Open safely... then land safely.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

For example: why so much attention to pulling slider behind your head?

exactly, and it isn't even mentioned that while doing this (if at all) first turn with rears to the dropzone, instead of going away from the dz...

Unless ofcourse you are before the DZ on jumprun right? I Dont fly my conopy down jumprun until other groups have opened, would suck to fly myself more into someones freefall path, especially if you have tracked down jumprun because you were in a group of more than 2 eh?

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I haven't really jumped anywhere that hasn't had major outs...

But not everybody has outs , i've done most of my jumps where there is no good outs....

FGF #???
I miss the sky...