Mirage63

Are Skydiving resumes really considered for big ways?

Coming from a small east coast drop zone I have keep a "resume" of my formation loads, plus one hundred way events, and records. It also included a list of references and there e-mail address (after I got permission to do so)

When I was first starting out to do big ways I would send it with my e-mails when I was looking for a slot and still do if I don't know the organizer.

I was wondering if anyone else did this also and if so what type of format other people use.

Plus you big time organizers, do you look at these things anyway.

I have one, and use it some, although it seems that today, most registrations have a sort of "insert resume here" format, where they ask for your largest, latest dock, tunnel time, currency, etc. etc.

I guess I use it for reference as much as anything these days...

>I was wondering if anyone else did this also and if so what type
>of format other people use.

I used one, and it's gotten me on several record attempts, including the 300-way in Eloy. Basically it's just an emailed list of what I've done, who I've jumped with, etc etc. Some keys are:

-organizer names. If Kate knows you jumped with Roger, she knows where to go for for references.

-References. Same as above.

-Dive size, position exited and docked. Helps when slotting.

-Weight and height. Also helps w/slotting. This info is generally asked for elsewhere, like on the reg form.

-AFF experience. Very, very relevant for big ways.

-Competitive experience. Speaks to your flying skills and ability to show up on time.

I've done this and it got me on my first 120 ways.

Having said that, there's still alot of the Good Old Boy stuff going on - or some people get on and stay on even when they screw up.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Man these people like John, Bill, and Pam are way too organized. I would have to go to my log book and look at what I've done. I've never sent a formal resume to get on big ways. I've just filled out the form that comes with the information about the event.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Could you elaborate on this please? Little ol' me doesn't understand...

The premise on this is that if you are good enough to become an AFF instructor, then you should be skilled enough to do a big way. It's really hard to become an AFF instructor, and rightfully so.

Trash Day or whatever it's called at Skydive Arizona when they do the famous throw anything out of the skyvan jumps, they require that you have at least an AFF JM rating before they let you go out with oversized objects in freefall. But hey, it's been a while so I don't know if I've got it 100% correct.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think Bill is talking about AFF experience as a JM. Flying your slot right next to a student without touching him. Doesn't matter where the student is at, you are right next to them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hey...wait a minute... one of the questions on that form says "Do you have a penis?" ;)

Well, they need to know how many grips you have... :P
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

>Could you elaborate on this please?

One of the important skills for big-ways is the ability to fly relative to a base that may be sliding, moving up and down, waving back and forth etc. AFF-I's get a lot of practice doing just that, since students tend to be all over the place.

Well it's a well known fact that you are ALWAYS correct (and even if your aren't it's just easier to keep you happy) :)

I think you meant to say, She may not always be right, but she is never wrong.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yup, you know how to keep me happy:)
Oh and Sparky, one time I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I wasn't:ph34r:

BTW, did you get your calendar from Lori?

Man these people like John, Bill, and Pam are way too organized. I would have to go to my log book and look at what I've done. I've never sent a formal resume to get on big ways. I've just filled out the form that comes with the information about the event.

Yes, but you know quite well that in skydiving, babes never need to apply.;)

>Could you elaborate on this please?

One of the important skills for big-ways is the ability to fly relative to a base that may be sliding, moving up and down, waving back and forth etc. AFF-I's get a lot of practice doing just that, since students tend to be all over the place.

I hope Kate, Tony, Roger, B-C, BJ, etc. know what you think of their bases.

John, I take offense to that[:/] It has nothing to do with being a female in this sport if I get invited on big ways. I've been doing the big way circuit now since '98 and I had to fill out lots of applications to get on the dives. I just didn't do the resume thing. I think I have made a good name for myself on the circuit, hence the reason I get the invitations.

Now you take it back or I'll kick your ass:P

A side note: Many times I'll be at a DZ and have to prove myself to the LO there. I stand in the circle, go where I'm told, and do my job. In fact I had to do that with Max at SDC last summer. He didn't know my skill level. It was only after the second jump that I started to give him shit. And I'm not even going to go into what I have to deal with when I LO at WFFC because I'm a "babe">:(

Now you take it back or I'll kick your ass:P

OK, if you insist, you're not a babe. I was mistaken.

Sorry I won't be seeing you in X-Keys. Say "HI" to the gang.

John, I take offense to that It has nothing to do with being a female in this sport if I get invited on big ways. I've been doing the big way circuit now since '98 and I had to fill out lots of applications to get on the dives. I just didn't do the resume thing. I think I have made a good name for myself on the circuit, hence the reason I get the invitations.

Now you take it back or I'll kick your ass

OK, if you insist, you're not a babe. I was mistaken.

Man I love it when you can get two old timers going at it, where a women threatens to kick the guys ass (and everybody knows she could) and the collage prof. get's a lick in while he runs for the door.:P

is this a great sport or what??

P.S. - I didn't get to jump this weekend so I just having fun...........

Besides Mary couldn't really kick John's ass. Maybe, well if John got the first lick in he'd prob be okay.;)

ell if John got the first lick in he'd prob be okay.

It'd probably depend on where and how he licked her, and what he gave her to drink first B|

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Besides Mary couldn't really kick John's ass. Maybe, well if John got the first lick in he'd prob be okay.

If John took his best shot, he still wouldn't have a chance in hell!:S:P

Sparky

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side.;)