FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

is it legal?

is it legal to jump in a resedential neighborhood? and if so how do u go about organizing something like that. i know this is a stupid question, but i wouldnt mind getting a drop off at the park which is only about 100 yards from my door. there is ample amount of room for a landing. it just makes me ponder. even if i couldnt realisticaly do something like that anytime soon.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I think it's legal to jump, but it's not legal to land without the property owner's permission, and a NOTAM. It's would also generally be illegal for a pilot to let you out--
ultimately depends on the circumstances. Find a pilot who doesn't mind the risk and get up early.

Depends on a number of factors and I think both yourself and the pilot would want to look at FAR Part 105 pretty carefully. If you're not savvy at all with the regulations, you might want to consult your DZ's S&TA.

The answer would be everything from "Yes, absolutely." to "Yes, with the proper waiver and notification." to "No.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

is it legal to jump in a resedential neighborhood? and if so how do u go about organizing something like that. i know this is a stupid question, but i wouldnt mind getting a drop off at the park which is only about 100 yards from my door. there is ample amount of room for a landing. it just makes me ponder. even if i couldnt realisticaly do something like that anytime soon.

1. Don't get caught
2. Don't post to a public forum when you plan to do something illegal or on the fringes of legality
3. You need a lot more jumps
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

i didnt say i was planning. just curious about the whole process. and obviously wount even fathem doing it on this jump number.:P I wouldnt do it if it wasnt legal. :)

I can picture a "holy shit... where did the mexican go? did he fall out?" situation though:D:D

I will read up on my regulations. were is a good resource to see them?

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!

As an S&TA and Military Demonstrator for 10 years I think I may be able to help answer your question.

Yes, it is legal if you get the proper FAA authorization. With out it, no.

You will need to file a 7711-2 requesting permission to make the jump into a congested area (all urban zones are congested by FAA deffinition).

To file the -2 you will need the land owners permission in writing, the proper experience and the jump plane and pilots info, all in paper form for the request. Plus maps and VOR info to the ladning area, for the control tower in the area.

Once you get all that the FAA may or may not issue you a 7711-1 the certificate of authorization. It will have very specific provisions you must follow for the jump to avoid legal issues.

The info is paraphrased for space but you get the idea.

I would say unless this is for a Demo, not to jump off of the DZ, it is a far beter environment and you will be able to handle the "what if's" that can happen since you will be in a place your familiar with.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

thanks for the detailed answer! Like i said i dont plan on doing this anytime in the near future, but it is something i thought about and it sparked my interest. I think i just have an issue with knowing all the lil things that hardly ever come up. again thanks to everyone who replied.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!

I'd like to jump into my parents back yard (there is a large field...) and my families Beach Property in Michgan some day... but I'll be sure to look into the legal aspects before I ever consider doing it... Oh and possibly consider the getting a few thousand jumps first... and perhaps get a demo rating...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I've jumped into my own backyard several times. Being the property owner, I had my permission to land there. File a NOTAM with Flight Service prior to the jump, and exit and open over an open area (no bouncing on taxpayers if the chute doesn't open, no I'm not kidding, that's the reason for that rule) But you need to get more jumps before you do that. Also, take a big enough chute and practice your accuracy.

i think you would have better luck getting everything aproved. i would go out and watch u jump. ;) it would be a cool nieghborhood thing. there is just so much room and with them redoing the playground there isnt anyone ever there anymoe. ;) dont tell me u havnt looked at all that area and havnt had the idea or thought :P:D

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!