JENNR8R

100-Way

Lot of no shows....I think the biggest they completed was a 73 way....none the less it was spectacular to see. A great time was had by all....

Carol Clay made her 15,000 freefall jump (15,000 skydive was last week)...she has over 244 hours of freefall now!!!

The party was outstanding too....BEER TRUCK :D

So what is the biggest formation done at WP now? I remember they were doing some 100 way attempts a few years ago. I also remember in '96 or '97 they did a 80 way or so. I was on that one but cant remember what the size was, but guess I can count the picture I have :P

Congrats to all involved on the 73..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

State Record still stands as far as I know at 87...

That is correct. There was also an attempt to beat that several years ago with an 89 way that built to 88. So, 87 is the official state record and 88 is the largest unofficial formation. I have a nice picture of the 88 way with the one person out nowhere to be seen. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That is correct. There was also an attempt to beat that several years ago with an 89 way that built to 88. So, 87 is the official state record and 88 is the largest unofficial formation. I have a nice picture of the 88 way with the one person out nowhere to be seen. ;)

If you can't get in, at least get out of the picture!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Damn right! Now my only regret is that I wish I'd have been looking straight at the center of the formation when the pic was taken, rather than have my head cocked sharply while in my slot, looking for the stupid idiot who was supposed to be in the formation in front of me, I caught him tracking away like a scalded dog... Needless to say, the organizers axed him after that dive. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Very true John.

...and out of the vid too!

I've gone to several debriefs dreading the scolding or cut I was gona' take only to find I am never in the vid and never get mentioned! Of course it helps to have a few others out at the same time.

Blue skies,

Jim

>I've gone to several debriefs dreading the scolding or cut I was gona'
> take only to find I am never in the vid and never get mentioned! Of
> course it helps to have a few others out at the same time.

Two stories for ya:

First, in 2002 I was on the 300-way, and had gone low once on the first dive due to a slow-falling base. So I added swoop cords. On the third dive I found myself about to go low _again._ Dammit! I was going to get cut, I just knew it. I started tracking at 15,000 feet (per the plan) and opened about 3 miles from the DZ. And who lands next to me but Dan BC, one of the organizers. Great, the last guy I wanted to see.

"Hey, Bill, so why'd you land way out here?" he asked me.

"I went low," I said, cringing.

"Yeah, me too. Man, that base was slow."

Second - a well known Korean skydiver was trying to get on a record attempt, and was going to a lot of bigway camps. She was a good skydiver but wasn't always consistent; sometimes she'd get a little washy. It wouldn't have been so bad except she was wearing a bright yellow suit and rig, so she showed up like a neon light during the debriefs. Sure, five or six people had the same problem she did, but on the video she stood out like a sore thumb. The other people all had black suits and just sort of blended into the background.

She has since gotten a black suit.

The other people all had black suits and just sort of blended into the background.

Bill, exactly why I went from a red suit to dark blue last year. Now if I could just lose the red Z1....;)

Good solution for the individual:)
I just hate docking on a big way when 80% of the jumpers are in black or other nondescript suits.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I just hate docking on a big way when 80% of the jumpers are in black or other nondescript suits.

Try doing 16-way with 15 people in black suits, black helmets and Javelins!

The 372-way wasn't much better, with its simple (4-color) scheme. I lucked out; I was the last guy on the counterclockwise side of Sector 2, so I was the last red guy before the white line started. Was easy for me to find, but I felt bad for all the people in the centers of those lines. Fortunately those dives were not slot perfect.

Bill, exactly why I went from a red suit to dark blue last year. Now if I could just lose the red Z1....;)

Then go get it air-brushed a dark color... ;)

It wouldn't have been so bad except she was wearing a bright yellow suit and rig, so she showed up like a neon light during the debriefs. Sure, five or six people had the same problem she did, but on the video she stood out like a sore thumb. The other people all had black suits and just sort of blended into the background.

Gee, I bought my Canary Yellow jumpsuit BECAUSE it showed up on the pictures and videos so well. I guess it didn't occur to me that messing up would show just as well :$

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

OK, I grabbed my copy of the pic that Oscar took. On the back is marked 10-97 so that fits since it was the halloween boogie. Some bad attempts on Sat and then basically not so good weather on Sun but cleared enough for one chance on Sun to get it done and BAM! Clean flying formation for a decent amount of time, a far cry from some of the other attempts, seems to just be the way on these things... Attached is the pic, sorry for bad scan but it was a fun jump!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I don't know the details about the 100 way; I registered as a lowly fun jumper. I'll tell you what though, the planes, scenery, people, bbq pork, and various flavors of beer were awesome. $15???? What a cool place!

Happy Birthday to Carol Clay, and congrats on those crazy jump numbers

Aha! Another good lesson from BillVon.

1. If you're on a big-way, wear a black suit so no one notices you.
2. If you're on something smaller (say 8 or 16-way), wear a white suit, so everyone notices you. All your friends will be wearing black :P
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD