Pitbull83

PULL!!!!!!!

I'm a student, with one tandem left before my first solo. On my first tandem, I had trouble finding the ripcord. On my second, it was a little easier, but still not something I'm 100% comfortable with when I think about doing it by myself. My biggest question is; Is it easier to find the ripcord when you're solo than it is when pulling from a tandem rig?

Every jump it should get easier as you develop muscle memory and learn to relax in the air.. like my last jump, I almost got it without any help! Woohoooo!!!:P

Practice makes better!

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

This is exactly the kind of question you should ask your instructor. This can be a great forum, but online is no place for a new student to get life-saving training advice.

Whooooaa! Calm down there little buddy. They weren't asking about malfunction procedures or how to execute a handle sweep or whatever... I'm pretty sure that just about every instructor out there will have no problem with another skydiver telling their student that things will get easier.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

still not something I'm 100% comfortable with when I think about doing it by myself. My biggest question is; Is it easier to find the ripcord when you're solo than it is when pulling from a tandem rig?

Whether it is easier on a solo rig is really not important. You need to have the confidence in yourself that you can do what is needed. Impress this on your instructors that you need this for yourself, they look forward to students that want to get it right. Some intensive one on one training in harness and on a table/creeper should be in your future.

You should not depend on an AFF instructor to pull for you. You must be confident in your ability. Do what it takes to get this confidence.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If everything else fails and you can't find it, your AFF instructor will pull for youSmile No worriesSmile

That's really not a good attitude. In the FJC or the transistion course you are taught to pull for a reason, being that it is not a tandem skydive there are no promises that the instructor will be there to pull for you. The instructors are there to help you learn, at the end of the day you and only you are responsible for saving your own life!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

on my 2nd jump..i failed (tandem) because i didnt pull..3rd tandem, i found the ripcord..then my 1st solo..i did 3 practice touches, pulled no problem, 2nd solo, only 2 practice touches, and now im alll alone everytime i jump..i dont need any practice touches because your hand remembers where to go..its like going for your cell phone..you almost always know which pocket its in without even looking...same with your pilot chute..you will know evetually excatly where it is w/o even thinking about it..have fun and be safe!
Danny
The Sky Divin Coastie

That's really not a good attitude

Peharps I didn't express myself well.
What I meant for my post was that his fear of pulling should not keep him from going foward. His training should provide the basic necessary tools to save his own bacon, eg, pulling, cutting away, landing, etc.
The AFFI should be seen in the same light as a cypress, when pull time comes. It's your responsibility and its your life, don't rely on someone or something to do it for you, but if sh*t happens its a pretty good backup.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

If everything else fails and you can't find it, your AFF instructor will pull for youSmile No worriesSmile

That's really not a good attitude. In the FJC or the transistion course you are taught to pull for a reason, being that it is not a tandem skydive there are no promises that the instructor will be there to pull for you. The instructors are there to help you learn, at the end of the day you and only you are responsible for saving your own life!

Okay, how about "Don't worry if you can't find it. You can always pull your reserve."? :D:D

I can laugh. I've "been there, done that."

Hey, I think it is easier to find the handle on your own chute than on the tandem, IMHO. Your instructor will let you practice and give you pointers on how to do it the most effectively. It's easy to find. The most common problem is not paying attention to altitude. Have a great !st AFF.:)