tmontana

FEAR

I'm glad to see a discussion about fear. I just graduated AFF and am getting ready to do my first solos. And I definitly am fearful each and every time I jump. Everything is cool until I get the call that I'm on the next load and I'm strapping on the rig. The plane ride up is tense for me. When the door opens and I see others jump, the fear is still there and intense. But a funny thing happens: As soon as I step out into the big blue sky the fear is gone. and I am so thankful I was able to push through the fear and do it because skydiving is so rewarding. Part of the attraction to this sport I think is the fear aspect. Taking control of the fear and defeating it can be very empowering and can positively affect the rest of your outside of the sport. Plus, each and every time you pull you are saving your life--it is very life affirming--contrary to what others who are not familiar with the sport might saying about us having a death wish or something ridiculous like that.

I've asked a few people at the DZ about fear because I was feeling like a wuss for being so nervous on every jump. I was relieved to hear MOST experienced skydiviers say that they still at least a little bit scared every time they jump. One guy said what someone else in this thread suggested. Fear keeps you safe and on your toes. Its good for you.

I know I am very new to the sport (10 jumps) just off AFF, so what do I know. Well, I do know for me, the philosophy and mental aspects of skydiving are what keeps me doing it....scared and all.

There's my two cents, but I am struggling as well. If anyone has some advice for my first solo I'd appreciate it. Even though I have demonstrated in AFF my ability to take care of myself...I'm still scared as shit doing my first jump alone. My grad philosophies seem not to be enough to get over the fear of finding myself in a high speed spin at pull time. I also am having gear failure anxieties. Especially since the reserve system is different and I don't know what it feels like to pull a functioning cutaway and reserve handle.

everyone here has great advice. However, like someone else posted, it's all up to you grasshopper. Let fear be your motivator, not your jailer. Tony Robbins We all have that fear inside us. I still have fear of canopy collision, not flaring at the right time, landing off, landing downwind, both my main and reserve not opening, etc. You have to trust yourself and your equipment like someone else posted too. Fear is healthy because it makes us alert of the possible dangers we may face. Which is why, dirt dive, and have a flight plan. And keep planning up on the plane ride until it's your turn to exit. Good luck. You'll be fine.

How many hits of adrenaline can you take?

There are those people who claim to feel no fear for this sport. Perhaps they don't. However they way we use the word fear is pretty fucked up. Look it up in the dictionary.
In essence fear is a God given emotion that is our indicator that something ahead could do us harm....well that is every jump I do. I respect that it could kill me, so I fear it. Naturally. Once you accept that risk you owe it to yourself to enjoy the sport to the fullest....nothing worse than paying a big price for having a shitty time.
Letting the fear paralyze you would be an extreme reaction...and one that would prevent enjoying the dive.
I normally feel that fear once the door opens and right when I dump. Fear is a good thing, it keeps you from becoming a statistic.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Thats normal, there is alot different stages that I encountered,, exit, getting stable, setting up and
landing.I got the 1st 3 down pretty good. The landings were a problem so I went for a canopy class
(Scott Miller) and it gave me a great sense of confidence. Just as mentioned in some prior posts
once you start to learn about the equipment and how and why it works then your fear will subside while
your confidence level increases. It's human nature
that you say "what the hell am I doing" . If I ever
completely lose my fear I will give it up because if you lose that you have then lost respect for that piece of nylon above your head.

There are those people who claim to feel no fear for this sport. Perhaps they don't. However they way we use the word fear is pretty fucked up. Look it up in the dictionary.
In essence fear is a God given emotion that is our indicator that something ahead could do us harm....well that is every jump I do. I respect that it could kill me, so I fear it.

When I hear the use of the word "fear" as used by the origional poster I get the impression it's the mouth dry, limbs numb, heart racing variety of the demon.

I'm sure a lot of people don't feel the slightest twitch of nervousness when they skydive, just like people rarely get nervous driving their car to work.

I agree...while I know I could have a problem on a jump I don't fear one.....perhaps it comes from knowing I can deal with it, after having a mean mal early in my jump career....I certainly don't get into the plane afraid.....jumping is quite normal...

Fear generally comes from the unknown.....and till you've had a mal there is a seed of doubt in the mind: a) will I recognise a problem, and: b) will I react to it quickly and correctly.....

From experience, recognising a mal isn't a problem...you'll know pretty quickly something isn't normal.....and if reacting properly is a worry, all you can do is prepare yourself by lots of hanging harness drills.....

As far as not knowing about your gear, go and watch your rigger pack a few reserves and get them to explain in detail all about gear....constuction, materials, strength, how it is designed to work.....etc.....

This will ease your mind.....but as most people will say..having your first mal is actually a relief...as it gets that monkey off your back....

Its all about confidence and trust...in yourself and your gear......staying current is also important .........

Just go for it.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I would be very interested to know just what kind of changes go through our body from the time we arrive at the DZ until the time we land. What the chemical levels are and how they change.
I would be willing to bet that nearly everyone experiences elevated levels of adrenaline....unlike taking your car out for a spin....I think we would find that our version of normal is not quite as normal as we think.
No matter what our jump numbers, we are more aware of the dangers involved and we run through them in our minds nearly every jump....without ever thinking about them. Unlike going out for a drive.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

an interesting topic, heres my second post to go with my second aff jump

skydiving is something i have always wanted to do ever since i saw it, but its about the only sport i havent casually just entered into by doing it with friends or family, there's no peer pressure sort of thing or joining in with the crowd, its just me making the decisions. This i think helps with the fear, everything is on my own terms, and i make sure that i can deal with it at every level (helped by a strict tutor). He makes sure i know it the drill, i make sure i know the drill, if theres anything left to doubt, he grills me, if i forget anything i make sure i know it or i stop. I stopped doing my 3rd aff because i was so drained from doing the 2 beforehand.

I dont get fear when i lure myself into trusting something. When i used to rockclimb, if i was 2nd or top roping there was little fear, when i lead it was different, and less enjoyable. Skydiving is the same, my tandem was pure enjoyment and little thought past doing the necessary, but my first aff was 110% concentration to get through the fear and still be able to do the work.

I'm looking forward to my 3rd aff because to me it seems like consolidating jumps 1&2...correct me if im wrong (i dont count tandem, seems like a tourist trip to me in comparison). I'm apprehensive about 4 because I want to know that my position is good getting out of the door or that i can get it good and stable. I want to cure my faults of not pointing my toes enough or putting my arms out too far. This gives me a target to aim for through the fear.

On my first jump I had a good 10 secs of free time, in which i was signalled to relax, and the sensation of enjoyment was like that on the tandem...just simply gorgeous. I also had a fumble getting to the pull cord as i entered the cloud at 5500. It felt like ages, but the video showed me that it was about 1...the video helped me calibrate my fear to actually what was a happening rather than what i was imagining happening. That focused me for the second jump, and i felt it calibrated me as to what i was doing, how switched on i needed to be and how confident i needed to be.
This being all my own effort and work i feel its easier to make the choices.

If i feel fear to the point that i feel that i cannot control it and think straight and do the neccessary then i wont jump, even if im in the door. But if i know its "just" fear and i know i can do it then i'm ok.
Thats probably why i didnt do the 3rd, but after a rest i'll be back up to the dz for that and then i can think about 4.

My long term aim is to be 110% comfortable and able to be and get stable and enjoy the dive. If i find i've done aff and passed and got my cat A and i dont enjoy it above my fear then i'll walk away...

If anyone has some advice for my first solo I'd appreciate it. Even though I have demonstrated in AFF my ability to take care of myself...I'm still scared as shit doing my first jump alone. My grad philosophies seem not to be enough to get over the fear of finding myself in a high speed spin at pull time.

I'm from Europe and have taken the AFF here. I'm guessing the AFF is the same?

Anyhooo, doing backloops and cannon-balls in the different levels really gave me confidence. I knew that no matter what happend, I could always go back to lying stable.

Pull time is pull time is pull time....so you PULL.....a spin is not going to stop the canopy opening.....you might end up with a few line twists...not anything to worry about.....but discuss the spin scenario with your instructor first.....and follow the advice you are given....

If you do get into trouble in F/F and you don't know how to solve it....first STOP the F/F....PULL.....you can find out how to solve the problem later........just keep your brain switched on and think clearly.....

Panic or freaking is a useless and dangerous emotion......expunge it from your repertoire......it'll only guarantee you grief......for sure..... now get up there and go for it.....

Remember, no matter what our experiece levels are.....we've all been there.....done that.....you'll get it right, and then you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.....

I JUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Went out today and made a s/l jump, it went great so gald to be back up there. Thanks to everyone who posted here, it really helped. Now i just have to do a hop n pop and then back up to jumping from 13k

My vertigo Problem was never quite figured out. For those who don't know what vertigo is, basically its a medical term for dizziness which can be caused by a lot of different things, but usually some sort of inner ear infection.
.... then on the way to altitude i just started feeling a bit strange, not quite the dizziness i had before but not normal either, the door opened and as those in front of us were getting out i turned to my coach and said i'm not jumping, i just don't feel right.

About Fear.. hmm. I am a coach, the person you were geeked about being able to jump with. I am still REALLY scared every time I jump. It never goes away... seriously.

BUT after about jump 40 or 50 I learned how to get control over the fear, put it in the right place so that I am comfortable with it.

About what you mentioned earlier regarding all the malfunctions you have watched on the net... Most of those are on highly loaded canopies flown by very experienced jumpers.. eg, the line twists from hell, spinners from hell, yada yada yada.

keep up on your training, you will respond automatically the way you should when the poopoo hits the fan... but it doesn't happen as often for you as it does for those of us that choose to wingload heavily.

1 more tip.. try square breathing.. 4 seconds in... hold for 4 seconds... breathe out for 4 seconds... hold no breathe for 4 seconds.... breathe in again for 4 seconds.. repeat.

Blue Skies !

Bryan Klindworth

D27808

CONGRATULATIONS I told you that you WOULD do it. It was nothing more than an enjoyable repeat of your others jumps.

If one looks at FEAR objectively, one can understand that it is only an emotion that can be conquered.

You proved it, and I'm very glad to hear you are back in the sky where you belong.

All the best to you

Bill Cole D-41

I can't think why you are still "REALLY" scared, apart from the fact that you are never current enough.....(averaging about 70 jumps per year).....

If you are scared, that will communicate itself to your student....not good at all.... so how can you possibly do a good job for a student if you arn't relaxed and confident yourself......the student will be freaking....big time.....really unfair on them...

"It never goes away.... seriously"...

Speaking for yourself I assume......because it DOES go away........else a hell of a lot of people would be quitting.......

I suggest you need to do a whole heap of jumps.... develop your own confidence....and only then start worrying about helping others......there will always be plenty of opportunity to do so......

All you are doing at the moment is increasing the anxiety levels all round...

Skydiving is meant to be fun, and it is.... it should never be a continuous battle with irrational fears every time you jump....

If it is that bad, I would seriously contemplate "what the hell am I doing here"...to quote a well known phrase.......

I can't think why you are still "REALLY" scared, apart from the fact that you are never current enough.....(averaging about 70 jumps per year).....

My first couple of years were 50 jumps a year b/c I was getting gear and couldn't afford any more. I average about 150 a year now, which of course I would love to do more.

If you are scared, that will communicate itself to your student....not good at all.... so how can you possibly do a good job for a student if you arn't relaxed and confident yourself......the student will be freaking....big time.....really unfair on them...

In my original post I said that I had learned to manage and control it within my first 30 to 50 jumps.. to quote a saying that's good about it "the butterflies never go away, but we teach them to fly in formation"

I am always very relaxed and confident with my students, and I always make it a point to try to relax them as much as possible as well, whether it be breathing tips for the really scared ones, or always doing something goofy at the beginning of the skydive to let them know it is about fun. I am however, still scared, as are most of the people around me.. it certainly doesn't come across to anyone unless I talk about it..

I would think if I said, at 391 jumps, "Im not scared at all" it would be cause for concern.. b/c I don't know everything about this sport, and certainly don't know as much as you do.. I can say, the more knowledge I get, the more relaxed I get.

rereading my post, I realize I may have over expressed how I feel. I wanted the original poster to know it does get better, but to also know that it may not go away, and so they need to learn to deal with it the same way we all have.. and I guess for some of us with a lot of experience, it does eventually go away.

"It never goes away.... seriously"...

Speaking for yourself I assume......because it DOES go away........else a hell of a lot of people would be quitting.......

I suggest you need to do a whole heap of jumps.... develop your own confidence....and only then start worrying about helping others......there will always be plenty of opportunity to do so......

All you are doing at the moment is increasing the anxiety levels all round...

Skydiving is meant to be fun, and it is.... it should never be a continuous battle with irrational fears every time you jump....

If it is that bad, I would seriously contemplate "what the hell am I doing here"...to quote a well known phrase.......

like I said, I overstated my anxiety.. I think if you ask anyone who jumps with me, students and experienced jumpers, they will say that I don't increase anxiety levels at all, and am one of those having the most fun when I jump.. since I am a packer at my dropzone, I enjoy every jump I get up on, b/c I may only have time to do 4 a weekend.

Blue Skies !

Bryan Klindworth

D27808

The cool thing about the human brain is that it can only think of ONE THING AT A TIME. I liked that advice about looking at each individual step instead of the last terrifying few... but like everything else in life, you have the choice to make your thoughts concentrate on the positive , or the negative .

I can relate to your dilemma, my friend. I was injured last year and haven't been the same since. At first, it was difficult to drag my broken ego and busted ass down to the DZ. I even considered getting away from the sport completely a few times, forgetting what it was that kept the passion so strong prior to the injury. I've had 3 chops, a broken leg, a few sprains, and a bruised ego and still choose to return. It took months for me to regain the passion, but it is on a different level. I am more cautious (seasoned), and a MUCH safer Skydiver because of it.

Parachutist did an article that addressed the subject of jumping after time off, usually following an injury, but generally just extended periods away from the DZ. It helped me to know that my experience was not unique. We have a lot of time to question our sanity when we are unable to experience the sheer joy of human body flight. Don't listen to your negative voice. It didn't stop you before, and it is the reason you were a Skydiver in the first place.

One of my favorite tshirts says it best: "We don't take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping!"