airborne966

GK tryouts

I want to drop a tryout packet for the Golden Knights in a year or two, but I talked to my branch manager and he says he won't release me to do it if i make it. Does anyone know if there is any way around that road block I hit??... Short of murder and/or kidnaping of course :)

I would hope your "tryout packet" is more complete than you profile.:S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If the knights select you to the team your branch manager can't hold you. Unless you are SF, The knights can take who they want.
You only need your Company/Troop/Battery commanders permission to go to the tryouts, and if you make it they will PCS you to the team.
At least thats the way I understand it.

So I say call up Branch and tell him to eat shit!(1-800-394-3763)

EDIT: Spell

Not true.

The GK SGM has to get the various branches to cooperate.

I have had a packet approved by the GK Command several times and each time the Branch manager has had a "better" idea.

The process as explained to me by the GK Command is this;

Once a packet is received it is then "boarded" by the Command and its TL's. If a packet is selected then the CDR and or SGM go to DA and make their pitch for each individual potential GK Tryout. Some times they get who they want and some times they don't.

But ultimatly the DA hasthe final say.

When you do put a packet in find some of the GK members and what they are looking for that year. Knowing what is required of you makes it easier to obtain your goal.

Good luck and don't wait to long.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

So really all i can do is get the stats i need, drop the packet and hope the CDR and SGM out there like what they see and have better luck with branch than i have been having... [:/] That's too bad, i was hoping for some secret loop hole around branch... oh well, still worth a shot i suppose

DO NOT GIVE UP!

Get the experience and put in your packet. Do not wait long get the numbers before next years try outs and put your packet in by July '06 (I think that is the new cut off).

And if you see a 38 year old SFC sucking wind in the back of the run formation, don't worry I will be at the finish, in front of ya;). (provided Branch lets me go[:/])

Branch will usually say no till they get a request foryou to try out from the GK Command. Use the GK Command talks to them then the "bartering" begins.

You and I will rarley be in a position to get branch to "give" us some thing.

The GK is not a re-enlistment option. But BOY HOWDY if it was it would be the largest unit in the Army!

i hope to be there, but it depends on my next deployment if it will be 06 or 07 that i make it to tryouts. Not gonna bail on my soldiers right before a rotation just to get to tryouts in 06 instead of 07. But i hope all the scheduling works out right for 06, that would be great.

A CSM once told me this (paraphrased)

Is your desire not to leave your soldiers because of gilt you won't be with them or you didn't teach them all you know? If you have taught them all you know, then it is OK to move on to your next job. The Army will not fall apart if SFC Cline is not at his current job tomorrow.

I think he was pretty smart there, you may have heard of Him, SMA Preston?

The Army as an Instatution (no Pun intended but boy could we have fun with it!) can run with out you or I in our duty position tomorrow. Some one will always step up and that is good for us and the person stepping up. It will allow us to try to reach a personnal goal and I bet allow the subordinate the chance to move up once they step up.

So I am way off the subject line but I am only trying to tell ya to go for it and at least you can say you tried, there are so many who haven't even done that yet.

I have heard that SF branch hasn't let any of us go to tryouts since 9-11, but I haven't heard too much about any of the other branches. I do know that much like SFC Cline said the command section at the Knights most likely has some excellent bartering skills. I'll be dropping a packet as well in 06 and am hoping SF branch has changed their mind about letting us go.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that a little UCMJ action in the past isn't a major issue!! I've heard it's not from a former Knight, but the command climate is constantly changing so you never know.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

osuskydiver (in here some where) was reserve or guard, but when I saw him in 'Burg, NC. Adam was on active duty and was waiting to head to Airborne School, as a new member of the Golden Knights.

It can be done.

osuskydiver (in here some where) was reserve or guard, but when I saw him in 'Burg, NC. Adam was on active duty and was waiting to head to Airborne School, as a new member of the Golden Knights.

It can be done.

oh man...can you imagine the hell he'll go through if the black hats find out he's been pre-selected for the knights?

:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

I have heard that SF branch hasn't let any of us go to tryouts since 9-11, but I haven't heard too much about any of the other branches. I do know that much like SFC Cline said the command section at the Knights most likely has some excellent bartering skills. I'll be dropping a packet as well in 06 and am hoping SF branch has changed their mind about letting us go.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that a little UCMJ action in the past isn't a major issue!! I've heard it's not from a former Knight, but the command climate is constantly changing so you never know.

Quit mooning the C.O. and you won't have these little problems, bro... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

you have to be on active duty

No you do not. My buddy went through tryouts as a Reservist. I think Mulford went as NG.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

As a Black Hat it was kind of fun when we saw that GK patch on the right sleeve.

We didn't screw with them to much though. After all they are all fellow skydivers;). Plus we leaned on them to help our Team "The Silver Wings" a bunch.

Johnny Mulford was most definitely in the Mississippi National Guard when he attended tryouts.

The USAPT, like CAG (SFOD-D), accepts reserve and NG soldiers to their tryouts. If they pass then they sign active duty contracts and move to the unit.

No, your branch does not have to release you. I finished tryouts in 1990 and SF branch told the USAPT to pound sand so I went back to the 7th group one disgruntled motherfucker.

At least one current GK never got released from his branch and spent an entire year there as a PAD and is now going back to his unit. He is an MI soldier by the way.

Chuck

Hey Chuck isn't Johnny with the Daggers now?

So SF branch let you attend tryouts and then pulled the plug on you, or does the USAPT not talk to branch until after the tryouts.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

The Monkey is absolutly correct about the branch and national guard/ reserve topic. Trust me I was also one of those soldiers who's branch did not want to play ball with the parachute team. You have to rember there is a war going on plus the reconfiguration of the whole army. Basically HRC is and will be sorting out the pieces for a while.
Do it!