Hooknswoop

Response to RSL Myths

>I always trained to cutaway, get stable if altitude permits, then pull the reserve.

I think there are some serious minuses concerning training to NOT immediately open the reserve. I wouldn't do that until someone had a lot of experience, and could be relied upon to never lose altitude awareness, not revert to old training under pressure etc.

I didn't mean I trained others that way, I meant that is how I trained myself to handle a mal. If I lost altitude awareness, I could fire the reserve. As long as I maintained altitude awareness and had enough altitude, I could get stable, then fire off the reserve. W/o the RSL, I had the option of doing so. I could always fire off the reserve quickly or on my back if I wasn't in complete control.

Derek

>I didn't mean I trained others that way, I meant that is how I trained
>myself to handle a mal.

Well, yeah, but you are not your typical skydiver. I wouldn't recommend anyone else intentionally give themselves a mal, either . . .

Sorry, it was "Faulknerwn" in post number 6 who said he "tracks for a couple of thousand feet after cutaway"....and while chopping and getting away from a wrap while doing CRW isn't a bad idea, I don't think you need a couple of thousand feet to do that.....

I just reread your post and noticed you didn't include the word "long" before delay....Sorry...

But thought I'd point out the perils of delaying a long time after cutaway in case some newbie thought it was a good idea and decided to try it....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Sorry, it was "Faulknerwn" in post number 6 who said he "tracks for a couple of thousand feet after cutaway"....and while chopping and getting away from a wrap while doing CRW isn't a bad idea, I don't think you need a couple of thousand feet to do that.....

I definitely don't track after a freefall mal - but my last CRW cutaway as I chopped I could see at least 4-8 other people without good canopies at the time. I tracked my ass off! I only had 1 parachute left!
W

but my last CRW cutaway as I chopped I could see at least 4-8 other people without good canopies at the time. I tracked my ass off!

I had it the other way round.[:/] After a freefall mal, the camera guy flew up to me as if he wanted to do CRW :S
Go a nice video of me on my reserve though B|
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Great Post Derek,
You went the extra mile, the info (in my view) was
enough for any jumper to make an informed decision
on this RSL issue. Put your post in your favorites as
it WILL come up again. Thanks for making some of
those gray areas black & white.

Please note that the above letter about RSL's from the Relative Workshop was prior to the introduction of the Skyhook RSL. The Skyhook was designed to remove most, if not all of the "problems" associated with conventional RSL's. The Relative Workshop now recommends Skyhook RSL's to all customers, regardless of experience level. Jumpers who do a lot of CReW might be the only exception.

I’m a low timer ~ 125 jumps and I researched RSL’s and the Skyhook prior to buying my rig. I bought a new Vector 3 for a lot of reasons but the Skyhook was one of them. ;)

Thanks Bill, I trust my life to you!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Billy is not God.....But he has a reputation for coming up with some good ideas and some good gear........I've used and appreciated lots of it.......

BUT.......Billy is not God.......trust him if you like.......but if you have a mal.....Bill ain't gonna pull the handles for you.......save your own arse......always been the rules......

Perhaps he'll be good enough to tell us why the skyhook is so shit hot.....

Without the commercial overkill.....

Please......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Perhaps he'll be good enough to tell us why the skyhook is so shit hot.....

Well, the skyhook is shit hot because it's like a pilot chute with nearly 100% aerodynamic efficiency. (It may actually exceed 100% aerodynamic efficiency, if the detached canopy maintains some lift for a short period.) By that I mean for every foot you separate from your detached main, the skyhook virtual pilot chute moves an entire foot away from you and toward deploying the reserve. With real reserve pilot chutes loosed by regular RSLs, as you fall the air produces drag on the PC but it's a lot less efficient (i.e. slower / requires more altitude).

BTW, from what I understand Bill isn't forcing anyone to take a skyhook if they don't want it. You can hardly blame him for marketing it - if it weren't for those pretty pictures and reminders that it opens so fast the reserve almost doesn't have time to get line twists, most of us probably wouldn't know what a Skyhook is. Then how would we clamor for rigs that come with it? ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Bill ain't gonna pull the handles for you.......save your own arse......always been the rules......

I have to pull my own handles? Shit I wish someone would have told me that. :S I thought it was kind of like a magical autopilot!

Seriously, obelixtim the point is that when I pull the handles I want the best and most appropriate gear being activated and for my experience level and after EXTENSIVE discussions with a master rigger a V3 with a skyhook was the best choice.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP