Vertifly

How long before you tell someone that you are a skydiver?

Close friends know it and aren't surprised I find it interesting. I have less time to spend on them and they know where to get hold of me in the weekend. I talk to them when it's appropriate, mostly as a source of inspiration.

Others - if they ask what I did in the weekend, I tell them. I've found myself unable to describe what I get out of it or any way to make a discussion about the smoothest way to do a spock interesting, so it's usually a short conversation such as "yeah, I think it's pretty awesome."

Not to exclude them from anything because they don't jump but there just isn't enough value in the discussion. They'll be bored with details and I'll be fed up trying to explain stuff I know I can't explain adequately and which they'll not get anyway.

It's sort of like I feel when the dudes at my DZ start with their military talk. Lots of military guys, lots of stories/preferences on weapons. I haven't been in the military, can't relate, find it boring, so I drink beer and see if i can find some girls instead.

When I do, they're also military :D

I avoid it in normal conversation. I just say that I go camping or I'm headed out of town. The skydive conversation usually distracts from whatever we were talking about.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I can enjoy the conversation if they're really interested, but it's a futile waste of time trying to describe what it's like to fly like Superman, diving down and docking on the formation while they're still stuck on "...what if the parachute doesn't open?..."

True story (there I was :D): My first Otter jump over Duanesburg, NY in 1986. I had about 100 jumps. Four way, last group out. After the previous group left, I walked to the door to take my grip, reached up, lost my balance and fell out. Got stable and looked up to see three guys tracking down to me...

Told a friend the story, and when I got to the "fell out" part her eyes got real big. "Were you okay?" she asked. Now it's my turn for the big eyes. "Of course! I was about to jump anyway!" was about all I could say.

Sigh,
Jon

"i'm gonna go with you someday" every time I always tell them that I go every weekend, so just let me know when your really ready to have a great time

That bugs me soo much! I’ve even offered a free tandem to my closer friends. “Yah dude, when are you going up next?” I say “Next weekend, I’ll drive”, then it’s “Uhh, my wife won’t let me” or “Uhh…..I can’t”. I love it when people talk shit about wanting to skydive, then you give them a great opportunity and they turn it down FLAT! It says a lot about their character. Think of it as a test. Are they truthful with their intentions or are they full of shit?

UntamedDOG

Yup, over the past year, at least half of my fraternity has told me they are "dying to go" 1 of about 80 guys has actually come. Same thing: When are you going next? Im going this weekend and every weekend after that... excuse, after excuse, after excuse. not too cool
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

I never bring it up, but I'm asked about it constantly when I wear my rig, jumpsuit and helmet into a bar.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

try not to bring it up but get asked a good bit because of the USPA sticker on my bumper. then its the same old shit about "what if this" and what if that" [:/]
i wish whuffos would use the science they learn in school to figure out that parachutes are not some mystical form of flight like a UFO :S

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

(Im sure these have been posted many times before)
If people ask "What if main fails" I go for:

"then use your reserve!"

Then people ask "what if the reserve fails" I either use:

"Then you die" which normally shuts people up

or "Take your shoe off and stick it up your arse"
"Why?"
"Cos when they find your body the'll be really confused!"

or "Grab the grass on the way back up"
"Why?"
"Cos its the bounce that kills you"
if I want a confused respose.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Yeah, but I bet skydiving is a lot more interesting to the non-skydiver then golf is to the non-golfer.

Hard to do a poll on that in here. But common, we aren't putting a little white ball into a little black hole. Just talking about it has to raise the laimen blood pressure a little.

Yeah, but I bet skydiving is a lot more interesting to the non-skydiver then golf is to the non-golfer.

Not really. People know how hard it is to hit a golf ball...Ask around your office how many people have golfed, been to a driving range, or even put-put golf. These people are able to understand golf.

Now ask how many people have been to a tunnel or done a tandem.

The problem with this sport is that people who don't do it have no idea what its like and therefore can not understand the difficulty. So since they don't know how hard it is to do a spock, they focus on the one thing they can understand and that is getting hurt.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I never bring it up with whuffos. Just plain tired of the same ole same ole conversations.

try not to bring it up but get asked a good bit because of the USPA sticker on my bumper. then its the same old shit about "what if this" and what if that"

I'm not a shrink, but I play one on TV. I suggest that having the sticker on your bumper is actually your way of bringing it up without bringing it up. You are deeply conflicted.
Please pay the receptionist on your way out.

Yeah. Show a good golfer go under par and they're impressed. Show a video of world class freefliers and they ask "uh, so what's the big deal?"

Looks so easy.

Talking skydiving with whuffos is 99% of the time sure to result in one thing: both parts being bored.

The other day, I talked about the sensation and the rewards of the sport with someone. Without even going into the specifics. Usually I don't, but I just decided to test it again. What did I get?...you know, the deer in headlights look. Uggh...regular people are sooooooo boring.

In normal discussions, I never talk about it. What really is driving me crazy are friends/folks, which I didn't see for a while; first question is: "And... you are still into that crazy thing called skydiving, eh? Or did you become reasonable, finally...?" In that moment, I easely could simply beat that idiot down - unfortunately, often it's my mom/one of my brothers/my sisters in law asking this question regularly :S:$

Grrrrrrrr >:(

dudeist skydiver # 3105