flyinghonu

Hop n' Pops

you can get a good 15 seconds of freefall from 6-3500 and then still have some canopy time and the accuracy experience without traffic on a budget.

If you take a 15 seconds of freefall it is not a Hop&Pop, it is a stable (or unstable) delay.
A H&P is just that, hop out and pop open you canopy.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hop & pops are also an excellent way to 're-enter' if you haven't made a jump in a few weeks...gets your head (and equipment) right without endangering yourself and your friends...which is what you are doing if, after a no-jump month, you do a sequential freefall involving 4+ people. This applies no matter what your experience level. Additionally, anyone should be able to leave any aircraft in any position and acquire face-to-earth flying into relative wind instantly. As for boring, I have yet to experience a boring jump. I like hop & pops best from about two grand. The compressed time of the jump as well as the compressed time of the aircraft climb makes one attentive, situationally-aware... which is the most important characteristic of a good skydiver.

Doctor Nic o' Them Toadsuckers

If you take a 15 seconds of freefall it is not a Hop&Pop, it is a stable (or unstable) delay. A H&P is just that, hop out and pop open you canopy.

That begs the question: How long a delay can you take before opening, for it to still be considered a "hop 'n pop"? Three seconds? Five? Ten?

I think any opening that is sub-terminal could be considered a hop 'n pop. And that gets you a good 10 seconds of freefall time.

If you are lucky enough to have high hop n pops at your DZ, you can get a good 15 seconds of freefall

bah, from 6k you've got a good 25 seconds to 2300. Lots of time to do some quick RW B|
25sec - 7sec (tracking) gives you 18 seconds of working time!
(more if your balls are bigger than mine :P)

:)

edited: grammar & spel'in

Actually... From 6000 feet RW might be boring and a 2-way head down is what would be called for, if one were so inclined. But of course, that is only if one were in posession of said "bigger balls".
For someone just off student status it would be reckless and irresponsible to even put such a thought in their mind...

im gonna do my first one on my next visit to the dz...

ok i lied...

it came down to ..hop an pop...or docking coach jump...of course i went for teh docking jump and failed miserably..

oh well...
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

If you take a 15 seconds of freefall it is not a Hop&Pop, it is a stable (or unstable) delay. A H&P is just that, hop out and pop open you canopy.

That begs the question: How long a delay can you take before opening, for it to still be considered a "hop 'n pop"? Three seconds? Five? Ten?

I think any opening that is sub-terminal could be considered a hop 'n pop. And that gets you a good 10 seconds of freefall time.

H&P come from the term "Clear & Pull". That means just what it says. Clear the airplane and pull.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Which DZ did you hit? Davis?

I saw the forecasts - Davis was listed as full overcast, Hollister as scattered clouds at 6500. Either way, 180 miles seemed too far.

Were the jump tickets full price?

It was Davis. Tickets were $10 up to 5K. As the ceiling lowered, we took what we could get.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Which DZ did you hit? Davis?

I saw the forecasts - Davis was listed as full overcast, Hollister as scattered clouds at 6500. Either way, 180 miles seemed too far.

Were the jump tickets full price?

It was Davis. Tickets were $10 up to 5K. As the ceiling lowered, we took what we could get.

As the monkey said...

A couple random blue holes would appear, but not big enough or over the right areas. There were 5 loads total, and 1 & 5 were out of the cessna (others from the PAC). The last one was from about 3.9K.

Last year they were doing $15 to 15k for certain Holidays, this year they advertised 15k instead of the normal 13k for a normal jump ticket price. I'm not sure if they discounted the H&P's or not.

It was on their email mailing list. Sign up by shooting manifest an email with you full name at [email protected]
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Did they advertise $15 for 15K for MLK? I only remember that for Labor Day and the weather was fine that day.

I got the email note. Yeah, 15k for the usual jump ticket. Last year had the 15 for 15s.

I just rememeber each time I thought about it, that Monday looked really unlikely to be jumpable, or at least to full altitude. Of course individual sampling can be very misleading. Like how I'm averaging about half a jump a visit at Byron after 7 trips out there.

How late in the day did load 5 go up? If I were going to make it to anywhere, it wouldn't have been till past 1.

How late in the day did load 5 go up? If I were going to make it to anywhere, it wouldn't have been till past 1.

Load 5 was the 'sunset' load at around 4:30. Load 1 left at about 12:30. A few of us deliberated driving to Lodi since they were getting full altitude, but didn't really want to do the drive.