TaylorC

taking a rig as carry on in canada

I know this has been talked about a lot but the only info i can get is about traveling with your rig in the USA or leaving the usa with it. I am looking for exact canadian policies on a rig as carry on since the TSA has no ruling up here. I did do a search and it didn't answer my question.

I used to do it all the time up here, however after September 11 they wouldn't let me anymore. They did not say that it had anything to do with the attacks, I just noticed that after that they kept making me check it.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I've had no problems with it at all- I've taken a rig on a plane two or three times in the past two years, and there has been little issue. All flights out of T-dot Intn'l. Once I made a security guard's eye's get really big though- she said 'one moment' and hurried off to her manager, who waived me through.

Probably the best thing is to go prepared with the right answers and documents if needed. ...maybe in my case, the guards were just having a pleasant day:S

i don't know where to get that info though. CSPA webpage has nothing on it or i just can't find it.

CATSA doesnt have any policies re. rigs. Its not mentioned at all in their regulations, neither as acceptable, or restricted.

We always printed and traveled with the USPA and TSA letters with us, along with the Cypres card, and, never had a problem in Montreal or Toronto. They were more interested in the lead in Kren's weight belt.

And yes, choose your words carefully when descibing the AAD.
Remster

Check out this link as a reference to Westjet and their policy.

http://tinyurl.com/6xbzg

From time to time this gets discussed on CSPA chat thingy and apparently Westjet have it properly documented in their systems that their screeners can access online.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

From time to time this gets discussed on CSPA chat thingy and apparently Westjet have it properly documented in their systems that their screeners can access online.

That stuff can always help, but if a problem arises, its probably CATSA that has the issue.
Remster

Hey there Ian Harrop. Awesome link you posted. It tickled me pink to read it :)

Check out this link as a reference to Westjet and their policy.

http://tinyurl.com/6xbzg

Good to hear from you Goober! Glad you got a tickle!

Hope you're getting more jumps than I am this winter! You'll have to make another trip to Alberta this coming year. Though Didsbury is closed, both Alberta Skydivers (Beiseker) and Rivers Edge Skydivers (Innisfail) are great places to jump. Rumour has it that the provincials will be in the Calgary area this year and there will be an Otter. The planned date is June 30 - July 3.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

CATSA says that airlines may permit parachutes as carry on "provided certain conditions are met". If the airline says its ok, then it is. I would take copies of the CATSA policy and any communication you had with the airline saying it's ok in case you run into problems with security.

You can find the CATSA info here: http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/travel_voyage/list.htm
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I used the CATSA online comment form to post a request regarding implementing a national standard for travelling with parachutes on Canadian airlines like they have in the US and posted a link to the TSA documents about traveling with parachutes.

This was their response:
---
Thank you for your e-mail of January 13, 2006.

In order to ensure air security in Canada, CATSA has established standard operating procedures for the delivery of pre-board screening. Parachutes do not fall under the prohibited item list, as regulated by Transport Canada. Parachute-related equipment, such a gas cylinders, is classified as a dangerous good, and is therefore prohibited in both carry-on and checked baggage.

More importantly, parachutes are subject to the general restrictions on size and weight (e.g., whether they can be safety stowed as carry-on) and as relates to the number of pieces of carry-on pieces of luggage permitted on an airplane. We recommend contacting your air carrier for more information. That said, we strongly advocate parachutists to allow for extra time for check in and security and advise that you proceed as soon as possible to the pre-board screening checkpoint upon your arrival at the airport.

With respect to having one set of rule that air carriers could refer to with regard to parachutes as carry-on items, we have forwarded your question to Transport Canada for their consideration.
---

I doubt I will hear anymore about this.

You'll have to make another trip to Alberta this coming year. Though Didsbury is closed, both Alberta Skydivers (Beiseker) and Rivers Edge Skydivers (Innisfail) are great places to jump. Rumour has it that the provincials will be in the Calgary area this year and there will be an Otter. The planned date is June 30 - July 3.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, I am busy inspecting student gear for Beiseker.

Rumor has it that Gord Bennet pulled out of Innisfail. Now his former partner is scrambling to find airplanes and student gear.

Tell us more about the 2006 Alberta Provincials.