raw

Different fall rates

Finally, since there is no air on the Moon, and hence no terminal velocity, are you implying that Newton's 3rd law doesn't apply there?

Why do you use NewtonIII in a case where is no reaction? Reaction is going to happen when the object touches the surface.

NewtonIII is the case where an object is not the surface of the Moon.

NewtonII should be use with an object over the Moon surface or moving with the 1st or 2st orbiting speed of the Moon.

Of course there's reaction. The reaction to the gravitational force of the Earth on a skydiver is the gravitational force exerted by the skydiver on the Earth. Equal and opposite. Air resistance is NOT the equal and opposite reaction to gravity. Your explanation is incorrect.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

***Of course there's reaction. The reaction to the gravitational force of the Earth on a skydiver is the gravitational force exerted by the skydiver on the Earth. Equal and opposite. Air resistance is NOT the equal and opposite reaction to gravity. Your explanation is incorrect.

I don't think so. The question was the terminal velocity where the magnitude of the forces are equal and the direction is opposite.

terminal velocity = speed - drag

speed is gravitational attraction. heavier objects go faster.

drag (none in a vacuum) is determined by air friction on the surface of the object and its shape.

a skydiver with an open parachute and one with a closed parachute weigh the same but fall at different speeds.

(this "fallrate is equal in a vacuum" thing has to be the most mis-quoted statement that exists.)

***Of course there's reaction. The reaction to the gravitational force of the Earth on a skydiver is the gravitational force exerted by the skydiver on the Earth. Equal and opposite. Air resistance is NOT the equal and opposite reaction to gravity. Your explanation is incorrect.

I don't think so. The question was the terminal velocity where the magnitude of the forces are equal and the direction is opposite.

That is not Newton's 3rd Law, though. You misunderstand the Law.

in reply to "The reaction to the gravitational force of the Earth on a skydiver is the gravitational force exerted by the skydiver on the Earth. "

Doea this mean that as skydivers we are dragging the earth into a new orbit?;)

Because wingsuiters stay in the air longer does that mean they are dragging the earth more than freeflyers?

Because most skydiving is done in the day-time are we slowly dragging the earth into the sun?

Its not only large objects that attract. Everything attracts everything else. Its just that huge objects like the earth dont move as much toward you as you do towards it.

Infact its not the earths gravity that pulls you down, its the sum of the gravity of every atom that makes up the earth pulling on each atom in your body and vice versa.

Gravity is a very weak force as far as forces in the universe go so it takes something big to make it noticable.

Serious question, why do we fall at different rates? At school we where taught that everything falls at the same rate

The point that everything falls at the same rate without resistance has been well made already..but if you want a good visual think about the fact that our atmosphere is a liquid.

Drop a bowling ball and a feather in a swimming pool and see which falls faster ;)
Owned by Remi #?

Serious question, why do we fall at different rates? At school we where taught that everything falls at the same rate

The point that everything falls at the same rate without resistance has been well made already..but if you want a good visual think about the fact that our atmosphere is a liquid.
]

Dunno where YOU live, but it's a gas here in Illinois.

I suspect you mean "fluid".

(this "fallrate is equal in a vacuum" thing has to be the most mis-quoted statement that exists.)

In a vacuum you will fall at the same rate with your parachute open or not. I agree that it gets misquoted by leaving off the vacuum part.

In a vacuum you will fall at the same rate with your parachute open or not. I agree that it gets misquoted by leaving off the vacuum part.

If I put on my physicist hat I would have to nitpick the statement, since it's acceleration, not fallrate, that would be constant, and even then only at a specified distance from the center of the attracting planet/moon/star...

If I put on my physicist hat I would have to nitpick the statement

I think you just did.

Yes, and I am wearing my physicist's hat today, so there's no inconsistency.