funks

Industrial Haze

I fully agree with you there, each jumper should be responsible for their own gear. It is very unfortunate that the staff are forced to babysit licensed jumpers.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Surely though, technically when green light comes on he's declared it safe for you to jump. Whether you jump or not wont affect his licence/rating, he's already broken the rules.

Nice attitude, im sure the pilot will appreciate you not giving a $hit.

What is wrong with you? Maybe the pilot didnt see the cloud directly below you. He is not perfect. How about the next time you board the plane and forget to buckle your chest strap i'll just say f it. I mean, you ahve already made the mistake, its not like we are supposed to look out for each other or anything right?

right

But in the UK, the pilot wouldnt lose ratings, it'd be the jumpers for going.

So like I said, when the green comes on, the pilot has said its ok from his point of view. Why should a pilot lose ratings for something others did? (like leaving when he thought it was safe, but it wasnt). I think its part of blame culture. Always try and go as far up the chain as possible to cover up your own stupidity.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I would hope this is the case internationally because no pilot could stop someone from jumping if they wanted to. Obviously its a bit difficult if your not near the spot and pilots cut engine, but you know what I mean.

Thats like a bus driver getting in trouble if any of the passengers hop off between stops :S

SEC. 105.17 FLIGHT VISIBILITY AND CLEARANCE
FROM CLOUD REQUIREMENTS
No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot
in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to
be conducted from that aircraft-
(a) Into or through a cloud, or
(b) When the flight visibility or the distance from any cloud
is less than that prescribed in the following table:

See my bolding - jumpers, you are equally as responsible as the pilot under the FARs, unless I'm reading this completely wrong.

Jumpers outside the U.S. - obviously, this won't apply to you.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You know what pisses me off? Pilots who get pissed off when you try to direct them to a spot and/or think that you should automatically and blindly get out when they say to get out and get pissed off when you don't for whatever reason. They may be great pilots but it's still MY ass on the line.

Know any pilots like that? Of course you do.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

SEC. 105.17 FLIGHT VISIBILITY AND CLEARANCE
FROM CLOUD REQUIREMENTS
No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot
in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to
be conducted from that aircraft-
(a) Into or through a cloud, or
(b) When the flight visibility or the distance from any cloud
is less than that prescribed in the following table:

See my bolding - jumpers, you are equally as responsible as the pilot under the FARs, unless I'm reading this completely wrong.

Jumpers outside the U.S. - obviously, this won't apply to you.

The rules say that, but what are they going to do to a sport jumper for busting clouds? Pull his USPA "license"? Seems to me that the pilot is the only one that has anything real to lose. Or can the FAA slap you with fines or something?

The rules say that, but what are they going to do to a sport jumper for busting clouds? Pull his USPA "license"? Seems to me that the pilot is the only one that has anything real to lose. Or can the FAA slap you with fines or something?

Does the FAA not have jurisdiction? I'm sure they COULD pull a USPA license, or force USPA to do so, seeing as they have to operate under the FARs. I'm sure that I don't want to be the test case...do you?

And yes, the pilot definitely has a LOT more to lose, as listed above in the thread.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706