gofast_ER

130,000???

I found an article on this site about "spacediving" In the article it said that someone was going to be attempting this in 2002. Anyone heard anything about that?
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I think I know what your talking about. I believe it was called off because the woman to jump got sick (head cold) or something like it.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Anything is possible with money.

Skydiving from +60,000 ft takes a shit load.

So far, nobody has raised the amount required.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying nobody has jumped from that high? Actually,

On 16 August 1960, US Air Force Captain Joseph Kittinger set the world's record (which remains unbroken) for the longest (19.5 miles) and fastest (4 minutes and 36 seconds) skydive. He reported his experience in the National Geographic--starting in the helium balloon that he floated to an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,330 m).

Although he did not break the speed of sound, he came close-- nine- tenths the speed of sound at his altitude--a colossal 614 mph (990 km/hr). He dove 4.5 times faster than most skydivers who start at much lower altitudes where the air is thicker. He could do this by falling through almost no air: 1.5 % of the density at sea level.

Story here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

>On 16 August 1960, US Air Force Captain Joseph Kittinger set the world's record . . . .

Right, but he didn't raise any money to do it. He actually got paid _to_ do it.

OOOHhhhhhh. Gotcha ;)

Well I guess you can say the Air Force raised the money. :P:D

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

It may be Michel Fournier's jump... He has been trying this four a couple of years now but never made it so far.

Here is the link :

http://www.legrandsaut.org/site_en/

and there is a thread about him in the Gear and rigging forum : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2172900;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Um, yeah . . . most of us that have been around the block a couple times already know the story. You might wanna also look into what the Soviet Union did in that time period as well.

Governments have all sorts of cash to blow on stuff (er, use for research purposes).

We're talking -private- ventures though.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I found an article on this site about "spacediving" In the article it said that someone was going to be attempting this in 2002. Anyone heard anything about that?

do a search on Michel Fournier.

He will never jump:|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Funny, feeling you might want to have a few more thousand jumps and get use to crazy speeds and a fair bit of training but i like your attitude. Just looked at your website, what an original idea. Good luck if you were to go for this ....somehow.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

t of us that have been around the block a couple times already know the story. You might wanna also look into what the Soviet Union did in that time period as well.

I was fascinated in hearing that Yuri Gargarian bailed out on reentry for the first flight. Not sure if it was before or after the chutes opened on the capsule, or how high up.

Cheaters. Presumably it wasn't that high up or they'd have made a claim on it.

interesting that it's simply a question of raising the money... Very interesting...

It's not ALL there is to it, but is the major stumbling block.

Just based on the Kittinger jump, I don't even think it really needs to be all that high tech if ALL you want to do is break the altitude record. On the other hand, if you want there to be other points to go along with the main one, it could get quite pricey.

For instance, one of the things that Sterns wanted to do was to have a fair amount of control which meant the suit had to be considerably better than the one Kittinger jumped. That's even more expensive than just buying an "off the shelf" suit from say, David Clark or the Russians so the costs -could- go up very high and very fast.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Anything is possible with money.

Skydiving from +60,000 ft takes a shit load.

So far, nobody has raised the amount required.

The biggest road block is the suit. Without the suit, no jump. The people who make the suits won’t sell them to civilians so you must have the AF or Navy or the Government as a sponsor. That’s why Stearns is the only viable candidate; she has the backing of the military.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The people who make the suits won’t sell them to civilians so you must have the AF or Navy or the Government as a sponsor.

Why is that?

My guess: The military can't sue them for liability if someone dies. Civilians can.

come on - if we can have a waiver for dropzones where adults acknowledge that skydiving is risky, certainly you can craft a document where the would be spaceman accepts that this ain't no walk in the park. This is the equilivent to falling a marathon in distance.

Maybe they don't see an upside - if the person dies in the attempt, it could hurt their ongoing sales to the military.

come on - if we can have a waiver for dropzones where adults acknowledge that skydiving is risky, certainly you can craft a document where the would be spaceman accepts that this ain't no walk in the park.

You'd think but look at the war against medical waivers that would insulate doctors from malpractice suits... no state accepts an adults waiver of the "right" to sue a Dr. EVEN FOR ELECTIVE SURGERY like vanity plastic surgery!

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.