plante

most effective method to get out of twists?

Looking at your profile, 405 jumps, USPA coach and a "C" license holder and your asking for advice on getting out of line twists? What do you tell your students when they asks you for advice on the same topic? That's just an odd question coming from such an experienced sky diver who would ask on all the world's stage. KICK OUT! If you can't kick out, cut the dang thing away. I can't imagine the injuries if you tried to ride this down.

Best-
Richard

I'm pretty sure he was just soliciting input... I seriously doubt he doesn't know how because he offered two methods in his post.

You realize this is a discussion board right? People ask questions looking to perhaps learn something new... :P

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

hes not asking for advice :S..he just wants to know what we think about those 2 methods...jeesuzz!

ive tried both too. for me, pushing together seems to untwist faster when the twist is up in the lines. when the twists are on the risers, i pull them appart. i also kick in both methods. anyway thats my first response, if it doesnt do anything, i change :P

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

My first line twist I tried to pull apart the risers while kicking to no avail so I actually used my left hand to grab the right riser which was on top, than my right hand to grab the left riser that was on bottom. I pulled apart essentially transferring the twist to the riser but it made it easier to kick as the motion helped to cause momentum. This was on my twelfth jump and I was taught in the class to just pull apart but read in the sim to transfer, so when the training didn't work well for me I changed methods. 13th jump another twist and used the transferring method and it came out quicker.

The "best method" is also determined by how high up the lines the twists are. If they're low/near the riser, squeezing works well. If they're high, pulling apart works better.
FWIW, I don't kick any more, but YMMV.
Neither of the two methods in shown in the video use kicking.
Jan Meyer has some data on this somewhere, too.

DSE

The "best method" is also determined by how high up the lines the twists are. If they're low/near the riser, squeezing works well. If they're high, pulling apart works better.

^^^This^^^

In my tool box, I have phillips screwdrivers and I have flat head screwdrivers. Also, I have a hammer. The situation is what determins the tool I reach for. The more tools in my toolbox, the more choices I have to solve a problem. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Plante, it also makes a difference if you are jumping your wingsuit. I have found kicking with the leg wing zipped is not nearly as effective. As long as the canopy is flying straight and not diving, my go to first choice is the second example in DSE's video. I twist the risers to get all the twist out of the lines and into the risers. You might start twisting the wrong direction, but it will be obvious if you are doing it the right or wrong way. Once the lines are clear, the risers are now a coiled spring that wants to unwind. As you can see in the video, the tops of the risers often start to separate. Put your hands where they are separated and use the risers for leverage to untwist yourself by pushing off the risers.

It is remarkable how fast you can get out of a lot of twists using this method.

And by the way folks, just because it is mostly guys jumping, don't assume the gender of the OP.;)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

rwieder

Looking at your profile, 405 jumps, USPA coach and a "C" license holder and your asking for advice on getting out of line twists? What do you tell your students when they asks you for advice on the same topic? That's just an odd question coming from such an experienced sky diver who would ask on all the world's stage. KICK OUT! If you can't kick out, cut the dang thing away. I can't imagine the injuries if you tried to ride this down.

Best-
Richard

Kicking isn't the only way to get out of a line twist. I only kick when I have to (the twist was down to my neck and pinned my head down and couldn't look up). Otherwise I use the other method. Once you get the twist down to the risers you don't have to do anything, it will usually untwist on its own.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

DSE

FWIW, I don't kick any more, but YMMV.
Neither of the two methods in shown in the video use kicking.
Jan Meyer has some data on this somewhere, too.

...................................................................................

Riiiiight!
The whole game changes when you wear a wing-suit.
I found that I had to change my whole attitude towards legs ... to prevent line twists.